Unique Carriers - 20 March 2020 Update

I personally can`t see any difference between four carrier that we have now...

Even the island side number?

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3, 27" LCD FullHD, Win 10 Home 64   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS, customTiR   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🌍 NTTR, PG   🚢 Supercarrier

I personally can`t see any difference between four carrier that we have now...

All NIMITZ class carriers are going to look the same. Except for the Hull numbers and a few different awards, there's not a lot of going against the grain. The "AB" wings (like the ones under my name) on the Island are designed and painted by the AIR Department guys and you may see some more wings on some Bow's, like the TRUMAN.

The ships look great. Could use some more rust but hey!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to see different liveries for the deck of the carriers. Would add even more veriety.

Portugal

Col. Bruno "Fonzie" F. (on DCS)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"About carrier ops: The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.5ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO x56 | SSD´s | Valve Index.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, Jackjack171 said:

All NIMITZ class carriers are going to look the same. Except for the Hull numbers and a few different awards, there's not a lot of going against the grain. The "AB" wings (like the ones under my name) on the Island are designed and painted by the AIR Department guys and you may see some more wings on some Bow's, like the TRUMAN.

The ships look great. Could use some more rust but hey!

This isn’t correct, the Reagan and up have some different features. Mostly with the island. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

58 minutes ago, AMEDooley said:

This isn’t correct, the Reagan and up have some different features. Mostly with the island. 

Yes, you are correct. The Reagan and the Bush are different. It's the last of the Nimitz class moving into the Ford class with an entirely new deck config. I'm a 68-75 sailor. The Nimitz class that we have in DCS will more than likely be the vanilla Nimitz class. It would be nice to have the latter in class but I won't hold my breath. Still waiting on the Forrestal class!

15 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

The Nimitz class that we have in DCS will more than likely be the vanilla Nimitz class.

What was promised for the Supercarrier was only the Theodore Roosevelt subclass:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/supercarrier/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier#Ships_in_class

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3, 27" LCD FullHD, Win 10 Home 64   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS, customTiR   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🌍 NTTR, PG   🚢 Supercarrier

8 hours ago, draconus said:

Yeah, but being a retired Navy guy, to us it's all the same! The Nimitz class is just that, but I get why they got to calling it a sub-class. The Reagan and Bush are classified as Nimitz class (another sub-class) but are different in many ways (ex. 3 arresting gear wires instead of 4, island super structure). The GW, Truman and Nimitz ( all of which I served on) are similar on the outside, mostly! If you don't know what to look for, it really doesn't matter! In DCS, you just change hull numbers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up on and around US Naval bases.  Every time I saw a carrier I could pick it out by the superstructure with few exceptions.  I remember when the Enterprise had the major makeover and that was a big deal.  But even the Ranger Vs Connie had their differences.  Connie had the extra tower behind the island. The carriers deserve to be unique with the kind of attention to detail from DCS.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tholozor said:

One thing that's interesting is that the Lincoln has two CIWS turrets on the port and starboard quarters, whereas the others only have one on the portside.

It also has a much wider arc on its forward Sea Sparrow battery for no readily explained reason.

• 1 month later...

Could anyone tell what date/time frame the different hulls we got with supercarrier right now represent? The Roosevelt for example was commissioned in 1986 but apparently got (like all of the hulls we got?) the RIM-116, which afaik was in general service since 1992 earliest. But when did the Roosevelt receive it? Same for the other hulls planned: what time frame do they represent in the state they are in the sim?

Also: are there any plans to represent additional different time frames than the available ones right now? Like a 1982 version Carl Vinson for example. Thinking about how the Carl Vinson being in the Persian Gulf in 1988, cool to make a what-if scenario for that, but the current hull got a 1992+  defense system mounted which also is effective in terms of game mechanics 😉

Cheerio 07

• Like 1

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tholozor said:

I believe the carriers represent a c.2017 configuration given the models for 71 and 72 are post-RCOH.

Would they not have RIM-162 ESSM instead of Sea Sparrow in that case? The Arleigh-Burke should have it too (among other things).

21 minutes ago, CarbonFox said:

It would be cool to see the Carl Vincent (CVN-70) and Dwight Eisenhower (CVN-69) make it into the Supercarrier module down the road.

Indeed, only thing I will say though is that the supercarrier is the Nimitz-Roosevelt subclass which are CVNs -71 to -75.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Would they not have RIM-162 ESSM instead of Sea Sparrow in that case? The Arleigh-Burke should have it too (among other things).

That depends, do RCOH plans include upgrading the box launchers to accommodate the larger-sized missiles?

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/

Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/