FA-18 Auto Pilot

Fioux73

Morning,

since update (2 weeks i think), my FA-18 can't engage the Autopilot. Is-it normal ?

Two settings in the DCS World options: Game flight Mode and Game Avionics Mode you need to disable them both : OK

you have to select the F/A-18C SIM profile for your inputs in the CONTORLS tab : OK

I'm with the Openbeta.

An idea ?

When you hit escape and 'quit' it gives you the option of saving the mission into a .trk file. Other people can replay the file, within the limits of the player (and there are a few).

Do you have colons in front of BALT and HSEL on the up front controller? Sort of like:

UFCAP.PNG

I've probably misunderstood the opening post but it's worth remembering to click 'ENT' on the a/p panel each time we type in a set of numbers.

PS- can i sneak in a question of my own and ask if there's a simple a/p hotkey that we can hit to keep our plane flying straight and level on its own whenever we hop out of the cockpit to follow our missiles and bombs etc?

Apparently, I have a zero shift on my joystick, which is why the P.A. is not engaging properly.

I don’t know if I can recalibrate the joystick, so I’ll deal with it unfortunately.

Did you solve your problem? Raisuli's solution will work, just go into Axis Tune for both X and Y and make sure that you're not introducing any input, by increasing the deadzone.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I've probably misunderstood the opening post but it's worth remembering to click 'ENT' on the a/p panel each time we type in a set of numbers.

PS- can i sneak in a question of my own and ask if there's a simple a/p hotkey that we can hit to keep our plane flying straight and level on its own whenever we hop out of the cockpit to follow our missiles and bombs etc?

No, you need at at least hit A/P and ON to engage basic autopilot, which at that point, you might as well engage BALT. Plus, I wouldn't worry much about it, the Hornet is so stable that sometimes I forget to turn on the A/P altogether.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

No, you need at at least hit A/P and ON to engage basic autopilot, which at that point, you might as well engage BALT. Plus, I wouldn't worry much about it, the Hornet is so stable that sometimes I forget to turn on the A/P altogether.

Thanks, I wish Hornet had more hotkeys so we wouldn't have to keep fiddling with the cockpit switches.

As for stability, I suppose it depends on what stores we're carrying, for example I'm finding that dropping a heavy bomb or launching a heavy A/G missile from one pylon unbalances the trim and makes the plane go into a fairly hard bank towards the still-loaded opposite wing.

• 9 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 8:13 PM, PoorOldSpike said:

Thanks, I wish Hornet had more hotkeys so we wouldn't have to keep fiddling with the cockpit switches.

As for stability, I suppose it depends on what stores we're carrying, for example I'm finding that dropping a heavy bomb or launching a heavy A/G missile from one pylon unbalances the trim and makes the plane go into a fairly hard bank towards the still-loaded opposite wing.

Push the trim reset on the left mid panel near the APU switch and Flight Control Surface reset switch. It will retrim your plane to compensate for the imbalance. 

1 hour ago, rfxcasey said:

Push the trim reset on the left mid panel near the APU switch and Flight Control Surface reset switch. It will retrim your plane to compensate for the imbalance. 

Nope, it certainly won't. The T/O Trim button does nothing in normal flight, it will neutralize trim when the aircraft is on the ground, but in the air its only function is to neutralize stick position if the aircraft is in MECH mode. The FCS Reset button will reset the flight control computers and is used in the air only to clear faults.