DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

The

9 minutes ago, Jafergon said:

Can't wait to try ULTRA clouds in VR later today!!! Thanks for this ED!!

They are a huge improvement 🙂

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

hmm i need to try a more comprehensive session .. but i am getting some stutter when rolling and looking out the side .. which was not there before with ultra clouds.. looking out the front is fine ... and the jitter is much reduced/removed and they do look fabulous 

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 5/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, Shadow KT said:

I would like to say that the NEW VAB Mephisto is a great unit. Thank you.

It is great unit. One of my favorites for some odd reason that I don't understand, maybe for the roadspeed it can achieve.

Wishing to see more of these kind new units, like Russian variants too.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, Shadow KT said:

The model its self looks amazing, there are some minor issues here and there, but what I am mostly pleased with is the ATGM its self.

I really like these new models like this and the BTR-72 and T-72B3 they just look amazing.

I can't wait to see a better RTS gameplay and commanding functions to get to use these vehicles more and see them moving etc.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

27 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

hmm i need to try a more comprehensive session .. but i am getting some stutter when rolling and looking out the side .. which was not there before with ultra clouds.. looking out the front is fine ... and the jitter is much reduced/removed and they do look fabulous 

Seen some others say on discord ultra clouds are bit more demanding now. Haven't tried myself yet.

21 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Seen some others say on discord ultra clouds are bit more demanding now. Haven't tried myself yet.

I'm okay with that. Now you can trade cloud quality with other factors to get your fps, where before it was not an option.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for fixing the clouds guys.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Oh man, they release the cloud fix patch on the day I'm gonna be so busy after work that I'm not gonna be able to fire up the sim until tomorrow, just my luck 🙂

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I'm reasonably sure that SSAO was causing stutters while rolling which improved a lot for me with it disabled. I assumed it was all of the calculations of lighting changes in the cockpit when rolling? Just a suggestion in case it may help.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

4 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I'm reasonably sure that SSAO was causing stutters while rolling which improved a lot for me with it disabled. I assumed it was all of the calculations of lighting changes in the cockpit when rolling? Just a suggestion in case it may help.

In my case turning SSAO on vs off, had absolutely no effect on the reflective surfaces in the cockpit. It's like it was hardcoded on. (This is on the previous patch to this one)

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Cloud fix works for me. They looked awful in the distance until I turned them to the Ultra quality setting, something even my elderly 1070 manages! So kudos to ED for some fine, fast rendering clouds!

• Thanks 2

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Yep, cloud jitter seems to be gone on my side also, and the quality is much improved. Except for still noticeable shimmer on distant cloud edges, they look gorgeous now... But unfortunately at the cost of heavy FPS loss and stutter for me...😢

With same settings as before, I'm now almost never able to maintain 45 FPS with Reverb G2, where it was previously buttery smooth (except for some demanding situations)

• Thanks 1

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

in VR depending on the setting i'm seeing a significant impact of  clouds on performance  between a 0.3 and 2.0ms impact on GPU frame time and a similar impact on CPU frame times on ultra clouds, that was against Light Scattered clouds 1... which would be broadly equivalent to turning of MSAA ... still more tests to do when i have time, but @BIGNEWY whilst it has fixed the jitter, it has fixed it in a way that is does not seem very performance friendly 

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

21 minutes ago, cro_mig_21 said:

2D user here...cloud jitters since they were introduced and after todays patch nothing changed no matter what settings and all the fxo/metashadres routine ...

True, didn't try the patch yet, but they did jitter in 2d

P.S. you can change that name now - hint:F3R 😜

• ED Team
34 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

whilst it has fixed the jitter, it has fixed it in a way that is does not seem very performance friendly 

Using Low - ultra to find the performance balance you think is best. 

If you want highest quality clouds use ultra, if you want higher performance use low. 

I use low in VR, It looks fine to me but that is my opinion. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 6/1/2021 at 8:08 AM, Oceandar said:

I'm hoping for hornet radar tuning for little bit sharper. Right now its kinda problematic to use particularly in tws.

Indeed. The Radar is pretty messed up when you really start putting it through its paces. Albeit, the APG-73 system is probably the most complex thing for the programmers to nail down; but in my mind, the two most crucial parts of a Fighter simulation are its flight model and its radar. I was flying yesterday and got into a situation with TWS that was so strange I can't even explain it... though I can explain that it ended up with 20 deg azimuth in TWS and I could not change it to another setting. Oh well, they'll get to it.

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Cloud jitter seems to be fixed completely for me in VR, resolution and contrast improved too. Yes this does come with a performance hit, not surprising. I am on top end system with very high settings, I can run ultra until I try the heavy overcast rain presets and then its a too much at the moment. Dropping down to high runs much better, but some additional aliasing visible on distant clouds. Ah aliasing, the bug bear of all VR applications..... one day it will be gone (kinda like screendoor)

I'm running on high for now as I really want to use some of the larger formations, although I've not seen any of these in MP so may go up to ultra for this. I also dropped SSAO as this helped reduce a little stutter for me.

So I can now fly with low cloud formations around the mountains, this looks stunning! I always found the jitter terrible when they were directly next to still objects like this, so I avoided it. Snowy sunset Caucasus with low cloud.... wow!

I've also noticed that the landing lights are no longer super crazy bright (at least in F18 and F16) thanks for this!! I was waiting for this to be fixed and very pleased with how this looks now. 

All in - a great patch for me especially considering it only had four notes!!. I think those with lower end systems will see an improvement in detail on medium. Thanks ED!!

Edited by Hoirtel

25 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

Indeed. The Radar is pretty messed up when you really start putting it through its paces. Albeit, the APG-73 system is probably the most complex thing for the programmers to nail down; but in my mind, the two most crucial parts of a Fighter simulation are its flight model and its radar. I was flying yesterday and got into a situation with TWS that was so strange I can't even explain it... though I can explain that it ended up with 20 deg azimuth in TWS and I could not change it to another setting. Oh well, they'll get to it.

Yep, Hornet's radar and FLIR are at the top of my list. I understand that crashes and cloud jitters were important for lots of folks and I'm glad ED fixed them (I think) but... since I recently fly CAVU without a single cloud in the sky and had no crashes whatsoever, I skipped the last 2 updates and continue pummeling AI with the help of my broken radar and FLIR, hehe.

I can only imagine my skillz level when these 2 systems are fixed. :closedeyes:  But wait... I keep forgetting about 'give and take' rule. The balance has to be maintained.

Woah, can we slow the hype train a bit? I just tested, I see no real difference in contrast, either placebo, or once again I'm the only one smoking something, or I need a little of what everyone else is smoking. No idea how to properly take a photo through the lenses, but with my handphone, looks like this in G2.

20210603_031606.jpg

And VR or 2D, it looks like my 6 year olds school project with a collection of cotton balls on construction paper. I have a mix of clouds where half are separated by too much space and look like floating cotton balls near each other, or its a featureless white cartoon mass with no depth and looks like hell.

Proper screenshot in pancake:

image.png

image.png

Are you seeing something I'm not, or am I just the only one who thinks they look horrible. Sure I can spin around and find some nice angles for a screenie, but in general, yuck.

Cotton balls for days:

image.png

I just loaded a mission and pauses and took 4 different angles. All crap.

Am I complaining? No, I seriously seriously want to know why either my rendition looks like &*$#, or why everyone else this looks good. Mission attached. Blank mission a hornet and cloud preset Scattered 1.

CloudTest.miz

Has this jitter issue definitely not been fixed for 2D, just VR? I run 2D and to be honest I haven’t played DCS lately because of the wobbly clouds. Was really hoping for this to be fixed...

Edited by 30mikemike

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

31 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Woah, can we slow the hype train a bit? I just tested, I see no real difference in contrast, either placebo, or once again I'm the only one smoking something, or I need a little of what everyone else is smoking. No idea how to properly take a photo through the lenses, but with my handphone, looks like this in G2.

20210603_031606.jpg

And VR or 2D, it looks like my 6 year olds school project with a collection of cotton balls on construction paper. I have a mix of clouds where half are separated by too much space and look like floating cotton balls near each other, or its a featureless white cartoon mass with no depth and looks like hell.

Proper screenshot in pancake:

image.png

image.png

Are you seeing something I'm not, or am I just the only one who thinks they look horrible. Sure I can spin around and find some nice angles for a screenie, but in general, yuck.

Cotton balls for days:

image.png

I just loaded a mission and pauses and took 4 different angles. All crap.

Am I complaining? No, I seriously seriously want to know why either my rendition looks like &*$#, or why everyone else this looks good. Mission attached. Blank mission a hornet and cloud preset Scattered 1.

CloudTest.miz 7.52 kB · 0 downloads

Hmm. Well likely to be very subjective, I love VR but I'm prepared to admit that everything looks sharper and cleaner in 2D so the clouds are in line with that too. I see the same thing in other VR games with feature clouds. Until we have much higher res headsets and much higher power computers, then it will look like real life and run butter smooth. I'll check your track but can't do it until tomorrow eve. 

5 minutes ago, 30mikemike said:

Has this jitter issue definitely not been fixed for 2D, just VR? I run 2D and to be honest I haven’t played DCS lately because of the wobbly clouds. Was really hoping for this to be fixed...

I would have thought both. It's the same clouds And same game. It was just really bad in VR and mostly us VR users asking for the fix.

Edited by Hoirtel

4 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Hmm. Well likely to be very subjective, I love VR but I'm prepared to admit that everything looks sharper and cleaner in 2D so the clouds are in line with that too. I see the same thing in other VR games with feature clouds. Until we have much higher res headsets and much higher power computers, then it will look like real life and run butter smooth. I'll check your track but can't do it until tomorrow eve. 

I would have thought both. It's the same clouds And same game. It was just really bad in VR and mostly us VR users asking for the fix.

Thats what I thought but it’s just someone further up the thread has said after the patch there’s no change in 2D regardless of cloud settings...odd. 

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

5 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

in VR depending on the setting i'm seeing a significant impact of  clouds on performance  between a 0.3 and 2.0ms impact on GPU frame time and a similar impact on CPU frame times on ultra clouds, that was against Light Scattered clouds 1... which would be broadly equivalent to turning of MSAA ... still more tests to do when i have time, but @BIGNEWY whilst it has fixed the jitter, it has fixed it in a way that is does not seem very performance friendly 

I'm seeing about a 3ms increase in GPU frametime now with ultra set. I used Syria Free flight in the Hornet as a test pre and post patch. I could pretty much maintain 45FPS circling the the map area just inland of the spawn point prior to the patch (around 1500 FT), now with ultra set I get the 3ms (ish) frametime inmcrease and FPS between 38-45, and of course some stutter. I've dropped to High and seems to be more or less comparable to pre patch performce with very vewry limited testing. Furthermore I;m not sure I can really tell the difference in the quality of the clouds between high asnd ultra.

Edited by zildac
  • Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero