DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

14 minutes ago, Mustang said:

'Effects. Updated smoke presets' interested to know more on this.

Then try 🙂

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The hornet got amazing features added and lots of fixes.
Very happy about the efforts on the hornet.
Added Control Stick Steering(CSS), what is that?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

On 5/19/2021 at 4:17 PM, Havremonster said:

It must be something wrong with my ears. I feel some strange sound getting louder and louder, like an rotor sound...Is it just my imagination or?

Must have been Mover's new helo VLOG fsgrin.png

4 hours ago, M1Combat said:

That's pretty much how all software is...

Have you used Windows before?

The is one major difference though. DCS is a beta while Windows 10 is pre-alpha rdlaugh.png

1 hour ago, Eaglewings said:

Added Control Stick Steering(CSS), what is that?

That's some basic AP mode that is engaged by the A/P and then ON/OFF switch, pretty similar to ATTH, but it also locks you to agiven heading withing 5° of bank. I guess they added the ability to control via the trim switch though, as that was not modelled IIRC. Slight stick inputs did work however.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

31 minutes ago, FZG_Immel said:

damn, this jittering is really annoying. should be a priority

Maybe it is and is still in progress whilst other activities have become ready to deploy? Would it make us happier if they put the patch on hold until a priority fix was ready? Probably not...

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

37 minutes ago, FZG_Immel said:

Ed have already stated many times that this is a priority for them to fix... just because it is doesn't make it easy...

• Like 4

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

36 minutes ago, FZG_Immel said:

it is. big ole thread over on hoggit about the jittering. high priority, just a tough issue for them to fix. sounds like it wasn't tested on VR until later on than maybe it should've been in hindsight.

2 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

it is. big ole thread over on hoggit about the jittering. high priority, just a tough issue for them to fix. sounds like it wasn't tested on VR until later on than maybe it should've been in hindsight.

problem is the jittering happens in 2D as well.. just less noticeable. but when you have, its the only thing you can see.

ps: it only happens in cockpit view. Not in external views.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

9 hours ago, Art-J said:

Allegedly the updater is supposed to wipe out the shader files nowadays after installing every patch, but... I've just finished installing today's update and the junk files were still there.

So, I recommend checking for their presence and cleaning them up manually anyway.

It seemed to wipe out the "metashaders2" directory, but not the "fxo" directory for me.

9 hours ago, FZG_Immel said:

problem is the jittering happens in 2D as well.. just less noticeable. but when you have, its the only thing you can see.

ps: it only happens in cockpit view. Not in external views.

I see it in both. When I was watching the flight of an R-17, the clouds (especially those in the mountains) were jittering all over the place.

And in the cockpit, if I oscillate up and down, I can see the cloud ahead of me oscillating up and down as well, as if it's trying to stay co-altitude with me.

I can also see it if I make big sweeping pans of the camera in external view.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

12 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Very impressive list of patch notes! Especially the fixes for the AIM120/TWS and various dubious AI behaviour are more than welcome. Thanks peeps!

Never ceases to amaze me how people are excited that there were 121 bugs in the game, and there continue to be about the same every month. Last time I remember this behavior, I worked for a large software company, and there were 2 grounds of peeps. Those doing about 9-5 and getting their job done, and a large group working heavy overtime and weekends to get the job done. The group working heavy overtime and weekends were making almost twice as much money as the rest. Someone up top finally woke up and said, why the hell are we paying the idiots who are taking twice as long as the rest to get their job done twice as much money? I spent every Monday watching my boss praise these idiots for working over the weekend and essentially patting them on the back for being terrible at their job and costing the company a fortune. Fortunately I got asked to baby sit them over the weekends and got paid handsomely as well thanks to them. Needless to say they eventually all got fired and then the company went under. 130,000 employees, gone... Every time I see bug squashing cheerleaders I can't help but look back... 😢

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Never ceases to amaze me how people are excited that there were 121 bugs in the game, and there continue to be about the same every month.

Isn't that the purpose of the beta - to identify bugs and the devs to fix them? We could have a different discussion about stable but when we sign up to beta we choose to have a role in reporting bugs, or just enjoy the game with the knowledge of risk bugs may exist. In the corporate world it isn't unusual to have user groups as part of the testing process prior to release. So yes, people might feel excited they have played a role and the issues that have been discovered have been fixed.

• Like 6

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I think today we might get some kind of report on the progress of the cloud jitter/lack of detail in VR. I saw there is going to be a screenshot of the new fog for 2.7 (currently fog is incompatible with the new clouds) , so probably they will mention what's the status of the fixes for clouds as well. Other than that the patch is amazing, from a Hornet guy's perspective like me 🙂

Edited by Jafergon

21 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Isn't that the purpose of the beta - to identify bugs and the devs to fix them? We could have a different discussion about stable but when we sign up to beta we choose to have a role in reporting bugs, or just enjoy the game with the knowledge of risk bugs may exist. In the corporate world it isn't unusual to have user groups as part of the testing process prior

to release. So yes, people might feel excited they have played a role and the issues that have been discovered have been fixed.

You're missing the fact that 99% of those bugs are in stable, including the 1000+ (not exaggerating) bugs that were in the last 12 patch notes. Those "fixes" haven't made it to stable, which is a bit of an oxy-moron, no? I'm happy to flesh out bugs in new features in OB that are being introduced, but the majority of these bugs have been there forever. So, stable ain't too stable is it? 

On 5/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, imacken said:

Guys, DCS is in permanent state of beta.  The release version is just a OB build that is chosen to be just about acceptable with no show stopping bugs.  

What he said...

Edited by Vanguard
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Never ceases to amaze me how people are excited that there were 121 bugs in the game

I'm excited that DCS continues to improve, and that existing bugs (the existence of which is inevitable in a software product of this complexity) get fixed within a reasonable timeframe.

I am far more critical when it comes to bugs that don't get fixed within a reasonable timeframe (*cough* sling-loading *cough*) and apparent poor product development of older modules (*cough* PBR/DS support *cough*).

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Jafergon said:

I think today we might get some kind of report on the progress of the cloud jitter/lack of detail in VR. I saw there is going to be a screenshot of the new fog for 2.7 (currently fog is incompatible with the new clouds) , so probably they will mention what's the status of the fixes for clouds as well. Other than that the patch is amazing, from a Hornet guy's perspective like me 🙂

The most hyped feature of 2.7 (introducing the new weather system by implementing volumentric clouds first) appeared more than a month ago after two initial re-scheduling. Beside of that in the original changelog they already stated that the cloud jittering / aliasing are well known for the devs, thus eliminating them are priority since then. What meaned to me, that those problems should be "well known" at least for months.

I honestly hoped they will introduce a hotfix at least within a week after original release because of the severity of these bugs.

Three more versions came after that with the clouds still in the same state.

But what is most alarming for me is the radio silence (or let's say "lack of detailed feedback") upon the status of this bug fix procedure.

I understand that with OB we have the rights to do our best to report any bugs for the devs to help them, but we are not entitled to have any percentage-like progress report on the development. The best reply we can get as an answer like "it will be ready, when it is done", and "it is well known, we are working really hard on it", maybe some "it's priority".

Now we should only hope that the problem is not originated in the roots of the entire applied volumetric cloud rendering technology (i.e. impossible to fix without changing the whole system), because that would be really sad.

I think the community here deserves some real feedback about what's going on behind the scenes. If these are bad news, then let it be, we will wait for the fix anyway.

But the people here are spending countless hours with writing really useful professional feedbacks and detailed bug reports for free just to help the devs.

We are not flaming, just do our best to help, so sometimes it would be kind to get some progress report back.

Anyway thank you for the 2.7 version, it's the best DCS up to date.

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

@St4rgun Just read the newsletter.

The Clouds jitter effects in VR are being worked on and will be fixed soon, we are not there yet but we feel confident in early tests that good progress has been made. Work on the fog is very promising and this is the next step in enhancing our dynamic weather engine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

18 minutes ago, draconus said:

@St4rgun Just read the newsletter.

Thank you, I'll "just read it" when it arrives, maybe soonTM (not in my e-mail inbox yet). 😀

The really good news is this most annoying bug can (and will) be solved in the near future!

I'm super excited and having high hopes in next patch. Keep up the good work!

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

All I can say is that performance (at least in my case) has improved even though nothing was said in the changelog.

I do not have VR and my experience in 2D has been that the jittering clouds are barely noticeable, even less now after yesterday's patch.

I am getting shimmers and jitters along shorelines though, which for me, are far more annoying than the cloud jitters.  I rarely fly that high, I fly mostly in helos.

What I have noticed about games in general is "Ninja Fixes". The devs often fix things quietly without announcing what they are doing. 

There may even be proprietary issues involved that due to an NDA they can't reveal and therefore "Ninja Fixes" are the way to go.

Over all, the 20/05/21 patch is much better over all than when 2.7.0 came out on 14/04/21. They obviously did something even if they didn't mention it.

Keep up the good work ED.  HVYapur.png

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Same for me. I'm using steam version and constant CTD happens from the latest patch install.

What is worse: after 2 of these crashes, steam do not acknowledge that DCS has crashed, and continue as if DCS is ok. I had to force restart steam because steam continue to be executed (crashed, but the DCS window still appears in the task bar).

Once restarted, Steam DOES NOT FIND DCS AS ALREADY INSTALLED and I had to install DCS again 2 times!!!!!

This is a nightmare, more than 100GB to be installed twice because the fatal CTD 😞

14 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

All I can say is that performance (at least in my case) has improved even though nothing was said in the changelog.

I do not have VR and my experience in 2D has been that the jittering clouds are barely noticeable, even less now after yesterday's patch.

What settings are your clouds at? I'm in 2D and when I was watching the flight of an R-17 with F6 I could see some clouds bouncing around, particularly noticeable in amongst the mountains.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

@Northstar98

Below are all of my settings. Clouds at Scattered 4, location W-NW of Novorossiysk.

I must emphasize that I mostly fly helos and my focus is on the ground not the sky.

For me the sky is background until yesterday when I noticed some beautiful reflections in the water.

Beautiful Reflections - DCS World 2.7 - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

I'm not saying that the clouds didn't jitter, I'm saying that I probably didn't notice if they did since I'm mostly at only 2000 ft. or less.

Try my settings and get back to me. Let me know how you did.

Ud2FiQq.png

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

1 minute ago, rayrayblues said:

@Northstar98

Below are all of my settings. Clouds at Scattered 4, location W-NW of Novorossiysk.

I must emphasize that I mostly fly helos and my focus is on the ground not the sky.

For me the sky is background until yesterday when I noticed some beautiful reflections in the water.

Beautiful Reflections - DCS World 2.7 - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

I'm not saying that the clouds didn't jitter, I'm saying that I probably didn't notice if they did since I'm mostly at only 2000 ft. or less.

Try my settings and get back to me. Let me know how you did.

Ud2FiQq.png

Ahh, I see, that probably explains it.

System: