DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

9 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes definitely happens in 2D, when making large camera movements the clouds appear to briefly move relative to the ground. If I fly level with the clouds and oscillate up and down, the clouds look like they're moving up and down. AFAIK it's the same effect in VR, just in VR the camera is making more rapid movements, making them look like they're jittering.

I saw that movement even on demo videos before their release in Wags showcases and I was instantly worried about their implementation, now in 2D if you set clouds to ULTRA at least for me effect is much more subtle and almost non existent in many cases compared to jump fest that occurs on low, standard and high. Fundamentally I think this issue comes from the way clouds are rendered/updated and that means either a complete rewrite with a different idea, yikes, or some kind of smart way to improve it without big performance impact (that is the main problem I think, it can be stopped with higher update rate but then requires much more processing power).

I think DX11 is barely breathing for some time now and is in need of replacement ASAP, low level APIs are the way to go especially in complex sims like this one surely is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Is anyone else having trouble with their esc key not working ?  i cant seem to bring up the menu anymore ?

Can you take a quick look at your CONTROLS Menu? 

• Check UI Layer.
  • Does the End mission Action have the "Esc" Keyboard binding assigned?  Maybe the defaults got changed / corrupted or overwritten?

Cheers.

JJF.

• Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Is anyone else having troublle with their esc key not working ?  i cant seem to bring up the menu anymore ?

Now End Mission binding is on UI Layer instead of every module

• Like 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

14 minutes ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

Can you take a quick look at your CONTROLS Menu? 

• Check UI Layer.
  • Does the End mission Action have the "Esc" Keyboard binding assigned?  Maybe the defaults got changed / corrupted or overwritten?

Cheers.

JJF.

yep exactly that, via a mod  to toggle the zoom in VR , thanks !

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

HP Reverb G2 after update sim no longer gets past loading.

repair1.jpg

Won't complete startup after update

Kill process reboot Computer; now works. 

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

21 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

The jittering is the movement of the clouds relative to everything else. Few people don't seem to see it as much. Quite surprising for those of us that can see it. Have you tried lowing a layer so it is around the high ground. You should see it then. It happens in 2D too, so I'm sure it's the same for everyone.

I have a Reverb G2 and recently a Valve Index.

The jittering of the clouds is much worse in the Index than in the G2.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

16 hours ago, XPACT said:

Fundamentally I think this issue comes from the way clouds are rendered/updated and that means either a complete rewrite with a different idea, yikes, or some kind of smart way to improve it without big performance impact (that is the main problem I think, it can be stopped with higher update rate but then requires much more processing power).

Hmm. That doesn't sound great... 

Is it just me or does DCS now closes after making enough of a change to graphics settings, instead of simply restarting?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

9 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Is it just me or does DCS now closes after making enough of a change to graphics settings, instead of simply restarting?

Seems to vary for me. Usually restarts but ocasionally just closes.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Latest update totally wrecked my experience.  At first it just crashed every time I tried to load a mission via Mission Editor, then I did a complete repair and got mission to start but framerates were totally unplayable.  Prior to yesterday's update I was running very smoothly with framerates locked to 45.

crash log was submitted

Edited by Rocky49

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Currently running stable for me (already 4 campaign missions without a CTD) so i´m happy and don't touch the update for now.
And the cloud jitter which is very noticeable in VR... i consciously ignore 🙈 this seems to work for me 🙃

Hope ED can solve this someday 🙏

Edited by Ganesh
add some extra features ;-P

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

And another thing they forgot to add to changelog:
moved "UI Layer" control option to the top of control option dropdown-menu. -.-

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

On 5/7/2021 at 10:44 PM, Rocky49 said:

Latest update totally wrecked my experience.  At first it just crashed every time I tried to load a mission via Mission Editor, then I did a complete repair and got mission to start but framerates were totally unplayable.  Prior to yesterday's update I was running very smoothly with framerates locked to 45.

crash log was submitted

I used mission editor and have no crash. Do you have any modes installed?. My game is not crashed a single time since 2.7 released. I am using 2d screen

Edited by sniperwolfpk5

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

reverted my Nvidia Driver to previous, successful one, 456.71 Frame rates settled down to 45.  Still having crashes with Steam VR.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Rocky49 said:

reverted my Nvidia Driver to previous, successful one, 456.71 Frame rates settled down to 45.  Still having crashes with Steam VR.

I will say, since switching to my current AMD 6900XT(from 1080ti) week or so ago, I no longer have the crashes switching between missions.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

25 minutes ago, Sr. said:

since switching to my current AMD 6900XT

I have the same card, and DCS still crashes occasionally every 2nd mission. Not that often, but it happens. It's the exact same error everyone else is getting.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Remember about Saved Games folder. Those files if not updated and keep for too long can generate issues. Remove all at once (do backup!), allow DCS to recover those files and then mess around if you have to. The settings.lua in Saved Games/Mission Editor can do funny things like that. I lost one .miz file in 2.7 already, 2-3h of my work - puff.

Something like that never happened before.

Edited by Glow

14 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I have the same card, and DCS still crashes occasionally every 2nd mission. Not that often, but it happens. It's the exact same error everyone else is getting.

Which driver?  I'm literally trying to make it crash now 🙂

I'm on 21.5.1

--Arthur C Clark

Can you figuratively try to make something crash? 🤔
I'm always on the latest non-beta driver.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Can you figuratively try to make something crash? 🤔
I'm always on the latest non-beta driver.

I mean, I'm exiting changing missions and switching back a fourth from multiplayer to single.

Things that were causing crashes.

--Arthur C Clark

18 hours ago, LCO489 said:

HI, is there any notes on today's update? There was a flie download today at least for steam version.

No notes on the small (~6.5 MB) Steam Open Beta update, AFAIK there was no change in DCS version and the only files updated were

• dcs_manifest.bin

... files, the exact number will depend on the number of modules, maps, campaigns, etc. owned i.e. in my case 136 files of varying size from under 1 KB to the largest at ~2.5 MB were updated.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Something I've noticed too: It takes the game MUCH longer to exit now. VR or 2D mode.

Used to take a few seconds after clicking exit or quit to desktop. Now it can take 20 seconds or longer.

--Arthur C Clark

6 hours ago, Sr. said:

Something I've noticed too: It takes the game MUCH longer to exit now. VR or 2D mode.

Used to take a few seconds after clicking exit or quit to desktop. Now it can take 20 seconds or longer.

Same here. 2 or 3 seconds has become anything up to 1 minute. Not good. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box