DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

"I don't understand how DCS is developed

I understand perfectly well how DCS is developed...they don't consider ongoing support of their stable build user base to be a priority so their current and chosen development cycle is to continue to build sequential open beta builds - each of which contains cummulatively more and more functionality and features...in the hope that eventually one of them works sufficiently well to be released into the stable branch...

Now i'm sure that you can understand that isn't the only way software can be developed is it?

They could quite easily stop building in more and more functionality with every sequential OB build and focus development resources on working on performance issues and bugs to release it into the stable branch more promptly.

They could go back to the latest stable branch build 2.5.5.41371 and add in bug fixes and non 2.5.6.xxx specific content (I used the JF as it existed in OB 2.5.5.41962 as an example - but updated documentation

.miz file fixes to DLC campaigns in a broken state in 2.5.5.xxx etc etc all fall into this category)

They don't do this currently...they aren't choosing to do this moving forward...but it doesn't mean to say they CAN'T if they desired...does it?

Their existing development cycle isn't the ONLY way of doing things is it?

At the end of the day truth is...DCS is (for most people with multiple modules/terrains/DLC etc) an expensive piece of software - hundreds of $s and no support/bugfixes for nearly six months with no promise of/timetable for any future fixes isn't really acceptable at that level is it?

Or as you quite vehmently point out maybe it IS acceptable - maybe I am the one in the wrong...expecting what i've invested in to work properly or expecting at the very least an explanation of when/if its going to be fixed is an outdated concept...

Airbag_signatur.png

How stable is this patch? Any big issues?

Depends on what ypu would consider big.

So far these are what I've seen:

1. Edcore.dll is reporting as a false positive on anti-virus software

2. Login Authentication issues. But I think this is already resolved.

Intel Core i7 7700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel 660P PCIe NVMe, Zotac 2070 Super Amp, Oculus Rift S

A-10C, FA-18C, F-14B, FC3, F-5E, F-86, AV8B, M-2000, Combined Arms, AJS37, F-16C, C-101, MiG-15Bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, P-51D, Spitfire LFMkIX, Bf-109, Fw-190 Dora, Fw-190 Anton, P-47D, I-16, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Ka-50

It has nothing to do with the lighting update or water. It's an AI issue of some sort. You can test this yourself by hopping into any free flight.

Please, I have been struggling with DCS for 4 months, trying any possible solution and testing several freeflights and custom made missions. Performance has dropped by at least 20% from 2.5.5. period

AI just makes things worse.

still unplayable for most VR user regardless the hardware

Oh, I didn't know I was doing it wrong by playing VR these last months. Oops. I'll try to increase my level of angst and e-rage in future posts!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Please, I have been struggling with DCS for 4 months, trying any possible solution and testing several freeflights and custom made missions. Performance has dropped by at least 20% from 2.5.5. period

AI just makes things worse.

Would you be able to provide your settings and if there is any mod you use? Because my system isn't the best (see my signature) but I can even dogfight comfortably in a 8x f86 vs 8x mig15 scenario with several ground AA ai in my immediate area.

Intel Core i7 7700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel 660P PCIe NVMe, Zotac 2070 Super Amp, Oculus Rift S

A-10C, FA-18C, F-14B, FC3, F-5E, F-86, AV8B, M-2000, Combined Arms, AJS37, F-16C, C-101, MiG-15Bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, P-51D, Spitfire LFMkIX, Bf-109, Fw-190 Dora, Fw-190 Anton, P-47D, I-16, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Ka-50

Tell me how it goes in VR. I couldn't try it yet.

"options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true" is an option that shares the image projected for both eyes instead of having to render 1 image for each eye. It helps in fps, but some things like lighting only renders for 1 eye the last time I tried it.

Thanks, so basically some VR optimization thing so save rendering cycles by rendering the whole scene just once and show it with two cameras at the same time - as it should be done actually luna-trcv.png

Now did my first test flight - and to make it comparable, I just took the Viper on my Caucasus map. First thing I noticed there was no plane and no cockpit at all (remember that from trying the kegetys mod), but nevertheless I switched to F2 and noticed better performance already which is good. Then out of a sudden when switching through, I was wondering "Oh, what's that F-16 doing there?", pressed F1 and was in the cockpit. Apparently it just took some time to load after the sim had loaded actually. 45fps in the Rift. Amazing. Wait... it's going down to 30... and up to 45, and down again... until In noticed it would do exactly that - drop down to 30 - when I was moving my head, no matter how. Left, right, forward, back, up, down or just looking around. Any movement of the Rift resulted in immediate framerate dropping. Staying still and it went up again. Definately needs having some look at.

So I went on and fly, since 30ish minimum is better than the 22 avg I had in previous 256 builds. Up in the air then it mainly stayed at the 45 which was like a dream. When looking up I even had it bump up to 50-60 which I never ever saw before in my Rift in DCS. Massive improvement here.

OTOH it still had the stutter-like roughness when applying VR zoom, same as the older 256 builds. Didn't have that in 256. I always checked the fps and they stayed up there though. Just feels choppy still. Guess that needs some more polishing still. So it's definately a lot better again, but still not as good as 256 in some points. But since ED probably keeps ironing out things, we'll see some smaller improvements in future updates. Most important thing is that it's actually flyable in scenarios other than free flight again. Thanks for that!

Then I went fast. Well, I tried. Noticed that little AB wasn't enough anymore to punch through M 1 and after getting past there with more punch, it would immediately fall down to somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2 if set at min AB. Was doing 1.4+ in the last version. So I just decided to firewall the thing and see. Well, topped out somewhere just shy of M 1.7. Guess I'll be going with the Hornet now since it's faster - and can operate from the new SC that I just installed after that test flight.

And yes, checking performance actually was so important for me that I forget to install the SC in the first place. I wanted to do that, but first test how it would run and then add the thing to my PG miz by replacing the Stennis and adding some Burkes. Well, that's my next step then.

BTW it asked me to install the Su-33 as well that I already have in FC3. Did it anyway just to get rid of the notification. Can't tell if if actually made any difference. Probably not.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Totally forgot. When I tried that fast run where I didn't get up to M 2, I had no stutters as in the previous 256 versions which was the main thing I mentioned that part for. Definately better there.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

With that "options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true" in my autoexec.cfg I get very strange rendering glitches in the corner of my eyes, so I removed that line again.

I do notice a very significant performance increase though, at least in the F-16. The Hornet didn't need it as much.

Complicated missions used to be a slide show, before this patch. Now I get very good frame rates :thumbup: My settings are still lower than the ones I used in 2.5.5, but we're getting there it seems...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The thing that I see that is most heavy in cities is the trees. If anti-aliasing is activated, it destroys the FPS. Flying low over the trees is to keep the FPS in critical condition.

The SuperCarrier is extremely heavy. It destroys FPS even if you remove all units from the deck. Only the animations that cannot be removed remain.

There was no performance gain in the new openBeta update. Here was the same thing as the past patch. I hope this is resolved!

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

maybe I am the one in the wrong...

Maybe?! :megalol:

I almost want it to get delayed just to see where this goes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

How stable is this patch? Any big issues?

Yes, for me, the big VR fps issue is still with us.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

After putting myself in the water twice, I finally looked up how the Su-33 works on the Kuz and successfully launched. RTFM only as a last resort. After that, I carefully examined the Kuz... GODDAMN. That ship is absolutely bristling for a fight.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Guess i'll have to reinstall the game. That command prompt thing on DCS is not working anymore for months.

It works . I have just uninstalled everything with that.

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Great patch! Vast improvement in VR FPS. Now getting a rock solid 40fps and hitting 80fps on occasion. Not seeing the decrease on Super Carrier mentioned above. This definitely has that 2.5.5 feeling again. I'm starting to think people with bad fps don't have their windows and/or their nvidia settings correct for VR.

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

Make sure enable VR headset is checked on the VR tab in settings. I found mine was unchecked for some reason but was still in VR. Vastly improved the slideshow that I experienced when I first started up after the update.

Very nice patch by ED and third-party Devs!!!!

Great patch! Vast improvement in VR FPS. Now getting a rock solid 40fps and hitting 80fps on occasion. Not seeing the decrease on Super Carrier mentioned above. This definitely has that 2.5.5 feeling again. I'm starting to think people with bad fps don't have their windows and/or their nvidia settings correct for VR.

Same, it feels muuuuuch smoother in my reverb.

No stuttering or anything on a simple SC mission with 3AI -18’s taking off and a few targets on land.

Another note: quick mission with many units is totally playable again. Prior to patch it was a slide show. Ground units are moving normally etc...

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

OMG! OMG! OMG! Thank you ED for giving my VR frames back!

I spent about an hour dogfighting in my P51 with flak all over the place before I even downloaded the SC. The fps dips to 30 then back up to 40 with asw on.

FPS on the SC deck. I didn't see much difference other than a few more stutters. But I enjoy not having to press F2 to align my wheel to the cat.

Heck if all patches are like this. Delay all you want ED

Why does this update ask everytime I restart DCS to enter serial numbers to bind or to skip the aircraft I already own from purchasing Flaming Cliffs? It's never asked that before.

+1 I own every module and FC3 and A10 are constantly requesting codes.

For some reason Mig 29 is completely denied.

THIS BEGAN BEFORE PATCH. 2 days ago exactly if it matters.

DCS World Patch Notes - Mig-21bis Updates to the changelog?

Re: DCS World Patch Notes -

Will ED be updating the official Patch Notes too?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.5.6.49314/

Looks like the MiG 21bis got some fixes in today -

Here is the reference >> http://leatherneck-sim.com/2020/05/20/crouching-update/

:notify:

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
Need to confirm change logs edits with Leatherneck
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Re: DCS World Patch Notes -

Will ED be updating the official Patch Notes too? https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.5.6.49314/

Looks like the MiG 21bis got some fixes in today -

Here is the reference >> http://leatherneck-sim.com/2020/05/20/crouching-update/

:notify:

Maybe they forgot to mention this in the patch notes?

I shortly tried the mig-21 in mp today, performance was solid even killed me a su-33

Love the patch so far :thumbup:

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

Why does this update ask everytime I restart DCS to enter serial numbers to bind or to skip the aircraft I already own from purchasing Flaming Cliffs? It's never asked that before.

+1 I own every module and FC3 and A10 are constantly requesting codes.

For some reason Mig 29 is completely denied.

THIS BEGAN BEFORE PATCH. 2 days ago exactly if it matters.

Uninstall the individual planes and just have flaming cliffs installed, they will all still be there. This happened to me when they did the free preview thing a few months ago.

Edited by LASooner

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD