Quest Wireless Support

Johnny Dioxin

With the Quest being so popular, it would make sense for ED to make wireless Quest accessable to virtual pilots.

It has the same resoltuion as the Index, though with it using OLED displays there is more SDE - but in my tests with Quest and Link, this wasn't a big issue, and the overall experience is good.

The whole point of Quest, however, is wireless VR, and it's very good at it with the PC, using an app devised for it, such as freeware ALVR or payware apps like Virtual Desktop.

I've been trying to test wireless operation so I could report back and let people know how well it does, but DCS World simply refuses to start in VR mode, even though it fires up both SteamVR - which recognises my Quest as what it is - and Oculus Home, which doesn't! It does, however, usually see it as a Rift S.

I actually get the notification that DCS World is starting in the headset on SteamVR, but it disappears as the sim starts in 2D mode. I've tried all different ways and it always comes up the same - desktop start and too bad. Doesn't DCSW use SteamVR engine anyway?.

This really needs sorting out, because it should not be a barrier to people getting VR, who don't want it attached to a PC, but want to experience DCS World in VR.

The 2 hour battery limit for the headset itself is no problem - I've been using a charger battery unit attached to my headset and after 2 hours play I still have 100% charge left in the headset. It really is a golden opportunity - especially with some other sims failing miserably with Quest due to lack of support, and putting it somewhere down their "to do" list.

Edited by Brixmis
spellling

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

ED has nothing to do with this.

The hackaround steamVR wireless solution is lacking in many things, primarily, latency 100ms latency was about as good as it would get, many who tested had 300ms or more, and for VR where 20ms is considered less than good, 300ms is beyond bad.

I agree with Oculus that supporting wireless connection is not a good idea, this is why they designed the link option, which also require that you don't buy a second 5ghz router to use it.

You can run the hacked wireless quest option still and just run DCS that way.

ED is only responsible to connect the exposed end of VR, Oculus, Valve etc are the ones responsible for handling the rest.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

ED has nothing to do with this.

The hackaround steamVR wireless solution is lacking in many things, primarily, latency 100ms latency was about as good as it would get, many who tested had 300ms or more, and for VR where 20ms is considered less than good, 300ms is beyond bad.

I agree with Oculus that supporting wireless connection is not a good idea, this is why they designed the link option, which also require that you don't buy a second 5ghz router to use it.

You can run the hacked wireless quest option still and just run DCS that way.

ED is only responsible to connect the exposed end of VR, Oculus, Valve etc are the ones responsible for handling the rest.

Fully agree.

Quest Link works quite well with DCS.

Someday wireless VR will be a thing, but it ain't there yet.

The cart always comes before the horse...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm talking about simply recognising the headset - why, for example, is DCS World the only game on my PC that kicks off both SteamVR and Oculus Home? Even though I used the old 'trick' to try and stop Home launching, DCS World seems to circumvent it and starts it anyway.

This seems to be confusing the software and as a result, the sim is seeing nothing and starting in 2D.

This is very much fixable by ED - why is it necessary to start up both VR systems on the PC? Only game I've come across in the over 4 years of public VR that does so.

Still its up to them if they want to gain customers or not, I guess - and yes, that is very much what is at stake, no matter how you try and bubble wrap it.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Sounds more like you have something wonky going on with your setup, I'd start disconnecting the one you are not using, including shutting down any running services for it.

Again ED has no business to recognise any one headset, their job is to communicate with the API's that the HMD developer manufacture and expose to the software.

It is simply Oculus's business to do wireless Quest.

They have been asked this thousands of times, and their response is " The latency is to high and far to complicated to be natively supported, end of discussion"

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Listen, in life there are those who try and achieve and those who sit back and do nothing or moan about either the product or those trying to push it forward in one way or another.

I won't be using wireless myself, I just want to see if it can be got working well enough so that those who are otherwise unable to enjoy the sim they'd like to fly - and are told by the second group that it just isn't going to happen (as I was when I was flying campaigns with Quest and Link with zero issues and others were trying to tell me it doesn't work).

The fact that both SteamVR and Oculus Home start up has always been an issue - so please don't tell me it's just my rig or set-up - normally selecting it to run as admin fixes it (which shouldn't even be necessary - many games in Steam ask the player if they use Oculus or SteamVR and then implement the relevant code, so it's definitely doable).

I'm not going to argue - suit yourselves and stay in the pen. the shepherd might be along shortly...

Kneeboard Guides

Listen, in life there are those who try and achieve and those who sit back and do nothing or moan about either the product or those trying to push it forward in one way or another.

I won't be using wireless myself, I just want to see if it can be got working well enough so that those who are otherwise unable to enjoy the sim they'd like to fly - and are told by the second group that it just isn't going to happen (as I was when I was flying campaigns with Quest and Link with zero issues and others were trying to tell me it doesn't work).

The fact that both SteamVR and Oculus Home start up has always been an issue - so please don't tell me it's just my rig or set-up - normally selecting it to run as admin fixes it (which shouldn't even be necessary - many games in Steam ask the player if they use Oculus or SteamVR and then implement the relevant code, so it's definitely doable).

I'm not going to argue - suit yourselves and stay in the pen. the shepherd might be along shortly...

I have both Oculus Home and SteamVR on my rig, and Oculus Home doesn't even start automatically from DCS when I have my CV1 plugged in. I have it set to only start when I specifically ask it to, and that's what it does. SteamVR, on the other hand, I haven't been able to prevent it from starting by using the same method I used for Oculus Home.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Both Steam VR and Oculus Home reside on my system.

On my system Steam VR never starts up when launching DCS, only Oculus. Obviously DCS has native Oculus support, no need for Steam VR to run it.

If I do not want Oculus Home displaying in my headset, I just disable it in Oculus software. Then all I have is a blank screen with the Dash belt.

Oculus Link with Quest also works beautifully for me.

I will happily remain in my pen...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|