How to trim onspeed with the F14?

Larkis

Turn off the HUD, you don't need it and it will actually make it harder.

You're working off the gauges so focus on being 600ft, 15 AoA, and on speed on the downwind leg. Keep trimming the aircraft to maintain 600ft on speed.

It's not easy when you first start learning it but with practice it comes.

If you do in fact decide to keep using the HUD, on speed indication is by putting the bracket in line with your water mark, instead of the velocity vector like on the hornet...

On your AoA indicator on the top left of the front dash, the 15 unit position actually has a solid horizontal line going through it to help easily spot 15.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 October 2009

CGNR-1705 / USMC Cobra

Semper Memoria, Semper Vigilens

Thanks for the answers. Got some nice traps this evening.

First i tried with HUD off but it don't work for me. Maybe cause i fly with VR i dont have the gauges on my peripher view so i must move the head and focus instruments. Dont work for me sadly.

The HUD gives me the altitute, ICLS Markers and the vertical movement on the same spot and that is very helpfull to me.

Also i realize that this is not an F18 and that there is not a magic way to fly onspeed all the time after the break. So i mostly focus on the power to maintain the desigerd altitute and trimm the plane to +7-10° Pitch.

After the Groove when the ICLS markers appears i focus on holding the "nose marker" on the horizontal icls line (verticaly centered, so plane is on glideslope) and put the e-bracket at the same place. Mostly i got a good glideslope and a on speed on the final. Maybe not 100% of the book but it works. :)

Thanks for help!

Wow, I've never used ICLS for overhead break landing, i thought it's useful only for CASEIII

In real life, that is the case, but I also use ICLS for all carrier landings in DCS just because the meatball visibility is such garbage compared to IRL.