For Tomcat fans only... book by CJ Heatley

cjladd11

Recently found this book by CJ Heatley called The Cutting Edge. Really good read and some great pictures from the first couple Tomcat deployments. This gem shows a CLEAN cockpit, no scratches at all. I personally like my dinged up HB pit, but would be interesting to see what it would be like in a brand new jet.9ec8ab88cdd89d46f25982a5c9326b74.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by cjladd11

I used to covet this book in the 80s, but my jr high/high school budget couldn't afford it which was like $40 for the hardcover and Kroch and Brentano's at the time. But then a few years later they had a soft cover version of it for $20 so I finally got to buy it and the problem with it was being paperback, my drool on it could wrinkle the pages.

As it went out of print, the hardcover version became affordable too, so I bought that also. Loved it ever since and Heater was my real life hero back then. I was so excited when Desert Shield started and there was a picture of a VF-21 Tomcat on the deck of the TR that had Heater's name on the canopy rail. I was like, woohoo! a Top Gun instructor is in theatre!

Still love to look at those photos. Another great book from that time is "Top Gun: The US Navy's Fighter Weapons School" by George Hall. Another great journalist and photographer (RIP, George).

More recent books of this type that you must check out for the F-14 are "Tomcat! The Grumman F-14 Story" by Admiral Gilcrist, "Bye-Bye, Baby...!" by Dave Parsons, George Hall, Bob Lawson and "Anytime, Baby..." by Erik Hildebrant. All have great photos and anecdotes.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Just repeat my opinion.

Every module should come with two cockpit liveries by standard.

1) Factory New

2) Slight weathering after like 3-5 years of operational use.

And then as bonus:

3) heavily weathered by decade or two active duty

4) museum piece level dirtbag

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks CJ, just bought the hardback from amazon for 3 pounds. Looking forward to reading it

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

This! Even old jets got their cockpits "refreshed" when they came out of depot maintenance; I remember collecting an F-4E from Hill AFB in the late 80's that looked brand new - and it had been built back in the early 70s and been to war!

And OT - clean canopies, please! No self-respecting crew chief would let his jet fly with the filthy canopies we get in DCS...

Vulture

Kirk66 said:
And OT - clean canopies, please! No self-respecting crew chief would let his jet fly with the filthy canopies we get in DCS...

All good, fortunately crew chief has no business for Navy's jet :thumbup:

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 10 months later...

Hi,
I'm looking for THIS Hi-res picture of the Tomcat to create a wallpaper for my self,
I understand it is from the book by C.J. Heatley.

f14headon.jpg

I do own this poster, bought in the Smithsonian, but wanted a digital copy of it, as a nice HB F-14 theme...
If would appreciate if you could help me find it.
Thanks!

Callsign   SETUP

4 hours ago, ron533 said:

Hi,
I'm looking for THIS Hi-res picture of the Tomcat to create a wallpaper for my self,
I understand it is from the book by C.J. Heatley.

f14headon.jpg

I do own this poster, bought in the Smithsonian, but wanted a digital copy of it, as a nice HB F-14 theme...
If would appreciate if you could help me find it.
Thanks!

I have that poster on my wall, but it says "National Air and Space Museum Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC" on it.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 6:15 AM, bonesvf103 said:

I have that poster on my wall, but it says "National Air and Space Museum Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC" on it.

v6,

boNes

I've bought that poster in the Smithsonian too, also got the book now. looks amazing!
Is there a digital copy of it??
I would really love to have some of those picture as my DCS theme! 
Thanks for helping

Callsign   SETUP

• 2 weeks later...