Cannon not wind-corrected?

kengou

Is the cannon supposed to be wind-corrected? I had a stationary BMP locked with the shkval and fired the cannon at it from around 3 km. The rounds all impacted a couple meters to the right of the BMP, consistently. If I offset left to take this error into account, it will hit the BMP. My only thought is that this must be the wind, otherwise why wouldn't the cannon rounds go where I'm aiming? But it seems odd the computer doesn't take wind into account, if this is true.

Anyone know more?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

3000 m is just too far.

The cannon is designed to get a good accuracy and efficiency against light armor out to 1500 m and unarmored targets out to 2000 m.

No idea about the possible wind correction though. I'd be interested to know more.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

3000 m is just too far.

The cannon is designed to get a good accuracy and efficiency against light armor out to 1500 m and unarmored targets out to 2000 m.

No idea about the possible wind correction though. I'd be interested to know more.

I understand not penetrating armor at that range. And that is a problem at those ranges. And I understand a wider spread of rounds at that range too. But rounds shouldn't be offset to one direction of the locked target consistently based purely on range. It's got to be wind, right?

Edit: I see that in manual mode, the manual recommends adding lead to account for wind. I might have been using manual rather than automatic mode. I'll try it again today.

Edited by kengou

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

At 3km, you want to use rockets, and that's max range for them. I wouldn't go past 1km with the gun, unless it's against a heli or such.

The gun is made for close in work. The rockets are made for standoff to keep you out of gun range of armored vehicles and AAA.

Edited by 3WA

At 3km, you want to use rockets, and that's max range for them. I wouldn't go past 1km with the gun, unless it's against a heli or such.

The gun is made for close in work. The rockets are made for standoff to keep you out of gun range of armored vehicles and AAA.

Gun seems to work fine against soft targets at that range, if I can get rounds on them. Good against light AAA emplacements or trucks.

The cannon should be wind-corrected, and 3km is near its max range, but still usable. Can you provide a video or a track showing the current wind and how you're employing the cannon?

Thanks, I'll try to record something soon. I tried it last night and found that even in automatic weapons mode, it seemed offset a little bit to the right (same direction as wind). Could that be recoil or something else?

I just tried this out in 2.5.6 and 2.5.5 with a target 3 km away and indeed it looks like the cannon is not wind corrected. I'll try again with 1.5 and report back, since I'm fairly certain it is/was wind-corrected.

Edit: Just tested it in 1.5 and it's the same thing, and off by the same amount as well. This is extremely interesting, as it's obvious there's some wind correction that's being applied, but just not enough. I set up a tank 3 km away with a wind blowing directly from left to right at 26 km/h. When shooting the cannon, the rounds start off to the left of the tank, showing that the wind correction is being applied, but the shells always land to the left of the tank, showing that there's not enough correction being applied.

Edited by Ranma13

Maybe you should report this as a bug

I've opened a bug ticket now.

• 8 months later...

So it give automatic correction to the wind ? When unlock target ?

On 3/8/2020 at 4:56 AM, 26-J39 said:

Just tested this and i see no issue.

Shooting from a hover at 3km with a left to right crosswind at 18knots.

Rounds hitting target pretty much dead center.

The last time we looked into it, it looks like the cannon is hard-coded to correct for the wind at 1600 feet, but not for your current altitude. Relevant thread here:

On 12/7/2020 at 2:44 AM, Bolec said:

So it give automatic correction to the wind ? When unlock target ?

Edited by Ranma13

I've found the ABRIS's wind codings to be doubled in both the 33' and 1600' sections, but fine thereafter. But odds are that's completely separate from the cannon - given you said it's fine at 1600.

I can't say I've really tested the cannon in wind - it seemed to hit just fine when I was testing it in Nevada, but maybe that's the 4500k ft. But if I had to guess - and this is a guess - the cannon wouldn't know your current wind. I mean the Shark only appears to correct flight for wind by sensing your heading etc is off and then reacts to that. The only thing I'd guess it has to work off is the Wind setting on the PVI-800 which was hard-coded at startup, and seems to be programmed for whatever your altitude was when your craft spawned. So if you spawned mid-air or on a higher altitude runway of 1600' ASL, that would be it's setting, whereas if you spawned at sea level it would be set closer to the 33' wind, and would have a different blended setting if you were between bands.

Again I haven't tested - but maybe these are factors/influences?

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

17 hours ago, Volk. said:

But if I had to guess - and this is a guess - the cannon wouldn't know your current wind. I mean the Shark only appears to correct flight for wind by sensing your heading etc is off and then reacts to that. The only thing I'd guess it has to work off is the Wind setting on the PVI-800 which was hard-coded at startup, and seems to be programmed for whatever your altitude was when your craft spawned.

That's a good observation! Up until now I thought that the wind display on the PVI-800 showed the current wind, but I ran a quick test and it indeed seems to be showing the pre-programmed wind for the nav point because it doesn't change with altitude. That said, conceptually speaking the angle rate sensors on the nose (#29) should at least be able to measure the crosswind when in a stationary hover:

nCbBc.gif

but I haven't been able to find any sources that indicates how the cannon is wind corrected.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the cannon at 4km to take out soft targets without issues. you just need a single round of HE to kill an infantry or a no/light armored target like a truck or zu-23 emplacement. rockets on the other hand I can shoot 80 of them downrange at 1km and not kill a single thing. in real life they would leave nothing but shrapnel covered body parts, but in dcs it's like shooting blanks that only kill when you get them in the face.