Stop Killing Pilots who Land in the Water!

mytai01

Doing a cool emergency water landing in The Channel would be epic.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...
That's a fun idea, but in your experience there: doesn't it get rather frustrating to be sitting there doing nothing for an hour, especially if you just got unlucky?

Setting an incentive for people to *not* get shot down is definitely a good idea!

We tried setting up something similar in an old squadron of mine, where we had server triggers for people ejecting, and a timer starting until they "would be captured by enemy forces". We'd have SAR helos on standby, who had to find that ejected player (we had a trigger for smokescreen signals at the spot where the pilot touched the ground - sadly it indeed doesn't work over water), and the helo was to get that player out before the timer expired.

Only after the helo reached its home base, said player would be allowed to jump into a new aircraft.

I have always loved that idea!

Penalty for getting shot down or crashing...for destroying the aircraft...you have to pay ED $5 to re-activate your module license! LOL Then they make more money to make more aircraft, ground vehicles and ships.

I really like the Search and Rescue idea. By searching for this idea in the forum is how I came upon this thread. I've been flying the Huey a lot recently, because I like how everything looks at low-level using my new Rift S VR headset (before that I had been using Track IR and a 2D monitor). I set up a mission where I fly a Huey from ship to shore with 3 flights of 4 other Huey's to all land at an airfield in northern France (Normandy map). Then I set up a flight of 4 AI-controlled F-4E Phantom II's to provide mock close air support by rocket or bomb attacks to points in a tree line. The AI usually manages to crash or run out of fuel in at least one of the F-4's. When the pilots eject, I race on over there in the Huey to try to land near the pilots to pick them up. Anywhere from about 1 to 7 miles away. I didn't plan the mission that way. I just stumbled on the idea when I saw jet go down and 2 parachute in the air. It would be cool to actually be able to pick them up...or to have a helicopter like a Jolly Green (HH-3) or SH-60 or even HO3S-1 (Korea) with winch and cable to lower a basket or collar to lift the pilot out of the jungle or out of the water. Some times I have to search for a long time using a search pattern to finally find those tiny pilots. Radio, beacon or smoke would help immensely.

Thank God, helo guys didn't wait for ED's willingness (or in that case complete lack of) to support choppers operations (we are still waiting for troops transport to work in MP and have to deal with the same horrible FARP for years). Using the CSAR script and a small object mod, pilots ejected over the water will show up in a life raft and pop a smoke when the SAR chopper is coming next to him.

Screen_190616_154151.png

Of course this requires adding a script and a mod, but we are a very resilient community. We learnt to compromise a lot with DCS. :)

• 7 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, BaD CrC said:

Thank God, helo guys didn't wait for ED's willingness (or in that case complete lack of) to support choppers operations (we are still waiting for troops transport to work in MP and have to deal with the same horrible FARP for years). Using the CSAR script and a small object mod, pilots ejected over the water will show up in a life raft and pop a smoke when the SAR chopper is coming next to him.

Screen_190616_154151.png

Of course this requires adding a script and a mod, but we are a very resilient community. We learnt to compromise a lot with DCS. 🙂

Would you be willing to share the modified CSAR lua???

vCAPT Scott "LoVis" Gray

Chief of Naval Personnel

Virtual United States Navy - VUSN

vusn.org

On 4/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, BaD CrC said:

Of course this requires adding a script and a mod, but we are a very resilient community. We learnt to compromise a lot with DCS. 🙂

A link to such MOD or modified LUA would be greatly appreciated...

23 hours ago, Baco said:

A link to such MOD or modified LUA would be greatly appreciated...

Ditto that!! 

Please BaD CrC, if you know where we can get the script and mod, please share.

It is almost impossible to do a water landing. It needs to be modeled better. 

Hell, even War Thunder models water ditching. Surely DCS can do better.

I made a vid a few months ago detailing how to use the SAR script from FunkyFranky at Github.

During the rescue part, I commented on how cool it would be to have the pilot be in a raft or just a lifejacket. (Mae West for you WWll fans)

and animating the winch on the chopper.

As it is now, the ejected pilot floats down and just disappears into the water.

The chopper circles around the general area for about five minutes then flies back to the carrier, lands and takes off to resume station above the CVN.  

Until ED gets around to creating something like this, The SAR script will have to do.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 1 month later...

Still amazed that this is not implemented by the ED, at least for their super carrier (one reason more to buy it).

IMHO the downfall of the DCS that it requires too much users to script and mod it to get it more realistic and more authentic, like making the basic mission with any other than stationary or dummy moving units is just painful experience for any new player.

Think how much more it would have added by default that a parachuting pilot would land on the ground and start emitting automatically their rescue beacon at standard side frequency. And if the pilot drops in the water, it floats there a while and then draft appears pilot in it and again with the radio. When you think you are close to the pilot, you can ask them over radio to activate their beacon or pop a smoke (not automatic).

And since the MI-8MTv2 was released with the winch, it should have been operational to lower rescue swimmer or combat rescue with command or just the hook (at sea the rescue swimmer goes always down with it) and you need to get it near the downed pilot and see them rising next to the door.

Think about the popularity for the default missions when these things being default, helicopter modules are instantly usable on any server where pilots might get ejected.

Then have the standard trigger calls means to get points for pilot rescue or pilot capture (you could even capture enemy pilots) without scripting or any additions. A capture would happen with a armed helicopter. So you need to have a door gunner that would hold pilot from shooting back the helicopter or escaping. Otherwise it would run away and shoot at closer ranges. Or get a armed vehicle to do same on the ground.

Like in the missions one could make flag status points:

+ 50 points for rescuing own pilot.

+150 points for capturing enemy pilot.

-300 points for killing enemy pilot.

-100 points for enemy capturing your pilot.

Already by default module could offer a SAR missions, where AI takes a fight in air and helicopter pilot just goes for SAR missions.

I hope we as well see those helicopters by default flying next to the carrier if so wanted in the mission editor or via radio call etc. As those shouldn't be special scripts to get there. But allow scripting to modify how they behave etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:42 PM, Kang said:

That's a fun idea, but in your experience there: doesn't it get rather frustrating to be sitting there doing nothing for an hour, especially if you just got unlucky?

That is easily fixable.

In a Hardcore version you need to wait that your virtual pilot avatar is transported back to base before you get in the new aircraft.

In a more mild version the mission designer can adjust a "roster" of the virtual pilots for time period that needs to be available for the player.

Like 2-5 pilots and at least one needs to be available to get in the aircraft.

This would lead to situation that one ejection doesn't "ground you". But if you lose a last pilot before any of them has been returned to base, then you are grounded.

Value like a 2 or 3 would likely be a very good balance as you can get shot down once or twice, and then you really need to concentrate to avoid getting ejected as you are grounded.

Penalizing the players from ejection is just realistic. Either they went too stupid or too cocky or reckless. Part of the action is to know when you are outnumbered, when you do not have the advantage or capability, and when you shouldn't be some place etc.

Of course air quake servers don't need to add such function as there it is point to get shot down all the time and just get back to shoot others down as fast as possible.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I  am the creator of the floating pilot mod.

In the interest of full disclosure,

I took this idea from upuart and his mod set.

He has one as well. (I Don't know if it is still working)

I expanded his idea to include a few types for variety.

All models are from sketch-up or sketch-Fab and have a creative commons license.

Released here for all to use and enjoy!

Have fun!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/govvvg7pbhb1b0d/Floating Sailor-Pilot-Raft 2.5.5.rar?dl=0

salior1.jpg

salior2.jpg

salior4.jpg

salior5.jpg

• Like 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Awesome! 🤣

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Thank you. Been waiting for this.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Getting shot down is a penalty in itself, so why penalize ejections? What about the beginners or anyone learning a new module, should they get panalized too? I think the sim is already hard on its own and you are already heavy penalized if you mess it up.

15 minutes ago, Therran said:

Getting shot down is a penalty in itself, so why penalize ejections? What about the beginners or anyone learning a new module, should they get panalized too? I think the sim is already hard on its own and you are already heavy penalized if you mess it up.

You can always select a new slot, nobody is asking that be taken away.

It's just so that (C)SAR assets have something to do, that makes a practical difference. And so that helicopters with winches (like the Mi-8) could be made functional, with a practical purpose.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:39 PM, Hawkeye60 said:

I  am the creator of the floating pilot mod.

In the interest of full disclosure,

I took this idea from upuart and his mod set.

He has one as well. (I Don't know if it is still working)

I expanded his idea to include a few types for variety.

All models are from sketch-up or sketch-Fab and have a creative commons license.

Released here for all to use and enjoy!

Have fun!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/govvvg7pbhb1b0d/Floating Sailor-Pilot-Raft 2.5.5.rar?dl=0

salior1.jpg

salior2.jpg

salior4.jpg

salior5.jpg

i get an this mod is unauthorised etc... warning when its in place and i start DCS ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

In old il-2 sim when you've been wounded in the air playing dynamic campaign you would get back to fighting month later or even two months. With front lines in completely different places. When you ejected over enemy territory it usually says that you were captured (MIA) and campaign ends for you. ED should use those ideas and yours in their dynamic campaign.