2.5.6 - Audio/Mods Status

I_Gamer

Hey there community/ED Staff;

Wanted to inquiry on a change a lot of us have noticed in regards to modding in DCS: World as of 2.5.6

The shared audio file structure has been hashed, and is no longer readable to anyone who browses the directory. Per-fidelity modules are still accessible, however, other audio files are no longer visible or accessible. This is a huge kick in the pants for some of us that have spent countless hours on projects to increase and enhance DCS as a product.

Is there a reasonable explanation to this? How can modders move forward, and what type of actions are being taken so that the community engagement is grown - not hindered?

The DCS modding community is extremely passionate, and DCS as a product will only grow as a result.

Clear skies,

-Intrepid

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

I'm stuck with vanilla sounds in 5.6. I'll second that.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

I've heard that you can install sound mods now in the user > saved games mods directory - haven't tested myself so I can't confirm this... just curious about future mods, though, as this change really throws a wrench in development for future endeavours.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Hey there community/ED Staff;

Wanted to inquiry on a change a lot of us have noticed in regards to modding in DCS: World as of 2.5.6

The shared audio file structure has been hashed, and is no longer readable to anyone who browses the directory. Per-fidelity modules are still accessible, however, other audio files are no longer visible or accessible. This is a huge kick in the pants for some of us that have spent countless hours on projects to increase and enhance DCS as a product.

Is there a reasonable explanation to this? How can modders move forward, and what type of actions are being taken so that the community engagement is grown - not hindered?

The DCS modding community is extremely passionate, and DCS as a product will only grow as a result.

Clear skies,

-Intrepid

As far as I can tell, sound mods (for planes at least), are no longer possible. The existing ones may work by installing them in the saved games location keeping the same file structure but as the new files are encrypted future sound mods are not possible. BRAVO ED!!!

giphy.gif

Im surprised they are claiming a lack of love from the community while slapping in the face to those who are willing to spend their free time improving the sim. Honestly, I wont be bothering anymore.

Take a look at my MODS here

Relax, nothing will change apart from you not being able to actually use some of ED's audios. C0ff said that they will provide you with sdef librarys so you could be updated on samples names and folders structures. That is ALL you need to test, adjust, remove or replace audios. I know it is a bit of surprise from ED side, but, in all honesty, why wouldn't they want to protect their work? You must have noticed the improvements in sound quality, I imagine it takes a lot of resourses to provide the sim with the recordings of the real engines.. Anyway, heads up! Saved games folder works and you will be able to continue modding.

Im surprised they are claiming a lack of love from the community while slapping in the face to those who are willing to spend their free time improving the sim. Honestly, I wont be bothering anymore.

Edited by hubson
Lettering

As far as I can tell, sound mods (for planes at least), are no longer possible. The existing ones may work by installing them in the saved games location keeping the same file structure but as the new files are encrypted future sound mods are not possible. BRAVO ED!!!

giphy.gif

Hi!!! awesome your sound mod

i hope update your sound mod :music_whistling::music_whistling:

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

Protecting their work is fine - but leaving the community high and dry about such a change isn't favorable.

Least they could have done is explain briefly in their patch notes, and demonstrate how these mods are supposed to be installed with said new change.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

• ED Team
Least they could have done is explain briefly in their patch notes, and demonstrate how these mods are supposed to be installed with said new change.

Mods should've beed installed like that since 2.5.0. There was a thread about that. But since the old method still worked, nobody cared.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In the meantime I have successfully changed the sounds of my A-10C copying the sounds of an old installation to:

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds

I did the same for the F-18, but in spite of trying several different folder structures such as:

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\resource\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds.edc

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\resource\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds

For the F-18 it does not work...

What am I doing wrong? Why is this working for the A-10 and not for the F-18?

Can somebody point me out please?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals