TM Hornet grip twisting on WarBrd base

VC

Probably need to remove the two screws holding the connector to the WarBRD base.

Otherwise this twisting will eventually damage your WarBRD’s connector and you’ll have to get a replacement from VPC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I use a 5cm extension which locks it securely and has the benefit of placing a flexible cable between the grip and the base. I have just tried to twist my Hornet grip on this with no success

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Probably need to remove the two screws holding the connector to the WarBRD base.

Otherwise this twisting will eventually damage your WarBRD’s connector and you’ll have to get a replacement from VPC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're already removed. Someone told me they stop the twist but that wasn't the case so I took them out to prevent damage as you say.

I'm afraid it's not practical for me to use an extension.

Would shimming the collar with something to improve the friction where the metal ring holds down the grip be practical?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

I use a 5cm extension which locks it securely and has the benefit of placing a flexible cable between the grip and the base. I have just tried to twist my Hornet grip on this with no success

Wich extension do you use? The VPC 5cm one? I own all of the VPC extensions and only the 7,5cm and the 10cm came with a connector cable. The 20cm had a "built in" cable wich cannot be removed and the 5cm came with a solid connector stick instead of a cable.

They're already removed. Someone told me they stop the twist but that wasn't the case so I took them out to prevent damage as you say.

That´s somehow unlogical. Tighten something by removing screws? Pretty much impossible. The point of removing the screws is, that the twist won´t damage your connectors, not to stop the twist. I have my Hornet grip attached to the VPC 20cm s-type extension and there is a little twist left and right when i try to twist it, like 1mm in each direction. I´m pretty sure this is related to the collar not perfectly fitting the collar nut and therefore the grip has some tiny small space to move. I wouldn´t assume this to be critical, as long as the 2 srews are removed to let the connector move with the grip.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I've had a similar issue even with my Virpil grip occasionally loosening, and I've considered (but haven't tried) using Loctite or similar thread locker on the threads.

If you do decide to use Loctite, use the blue, NOT the red, and start small (you can always add more). Blue is relatively easy to overcome when you want to remove your grip, assuming you don't go crazy with it. Red is intended for permanent uses, and is the devil itself if you want to get it off again.

EDIT: Sorry, re-reading your post it sounds like the threads themselves are not loosening? Actually though, depending on where the movement is, Loctite might still be an option.

Edited by X-31_VECTOR

I've had a similar issue even with my Virpil grip occasionally loosening, and I've considered (but haven't tried) using Loctite or similar thread locker on the threads.

If you do decide to use Loctite, use the blue, NOT the red, and start small (you can always add more). Blue is relatively easy to overcome when you want to remove your grip, assuming you don't go crazy with it. Red is intended for permanent uses, and is the devil itself if you want to get it off again.

EDIT: Sorry, re-reading your post it sounds like the threads themselves are not loosening? Actually though, depending on where the movement is, Loctite might still be an option.

Yeah, the threads are not loosening. The grip is twisting despite the thread being as tight as it will go. Still haven't had time to take it apart and see where exactly I might fit a washer (which I don't have in the first place). Might try just shimming it with some paper or cardboard, I really don't think it needs much.

VC

So I didn't find a washer but I made one by cutting a ring of EVA foam and inseting it up into where the collar grips down onto the stick base. That seems to have helped so far. No wonder it was slipping, that's a metal-on-metal join there's no friction there. Curious why TM didn't design it with a washer in there already.

VC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Be careful going the loctite route. I don't know what material the base is on the Virpil, as I don't have one, but I know the Warthog base is plastic. Loctite 242, the blue stuff, eats into plastic and causes it to break apart under stress. Loctite has a formulation specifically meant for plastics. If the VIRPIL base and warthog interface is all metal, than I would think Loctite 242 would be fine. But if there is any plastic, use something like loctite 425 or similar

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler