Arleigh Burke - Aegis datalink?

sk000tch

I was reading past weekend updates and noted the Arleigh Burke addition with supercarrier. With a few SPY-1s in the CSG, will the DD's be datalink donors?

I know that they are CDL-N hubs and more complex than airborne control, but the simplified donor system used for AWACS would work fine for Aegis until/if more robust air tasking order/combat order systems are in place. Even just redundancy if AWACS is shot down, or perhaps integrate their BMD function with tasking orders with the scud launchers coming in. Would allow for some cool missions.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Would that not be the task of Link16? At least for equipped AC.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try searching for Aegis and Link 16 (any links would be obliterated due to forum rules). That should answer most of the speculation about what can and can't be done with Aegis cruisers and destroyers w.r.t Link 16. ED doesn't haveto limit Link 16 to a newer destoyer varaint to be credible.

Would that not be the task of Link16? At least for equipped AC.

Not sure I follow your question, I suspect you might not understand either what I'm saying or how link 16 works. Link 16 is just one of many communications protocols under tactical datalink penumbra. There are many, with different characteristics, meant for different purposes. F-22s and the X-37B use IFDL, for example, because of the very low probability of intercept and low probability of detection. The terminology is used loosely, and NATO is a little different than USA, so it can be confusing. Link16 is just US shorthand for data transmitted and received in the TADIL J message standard with JTIDS Compatible communication terminals. Even then its always evolving, before our Hornet and F-16 they moved from JTIDS Class era (like 2H, 2M) aato MIDS LVT and MIDS FDL, the latter being flight datalink. What we have. F-16 was MIDS LVT(1). Air defense and THAADs were MIDS-LVT(2). But hey are all "Link 16." But in addition to link 16, you might have link11, link 22, VMF, SADL, JREAP, MADL, or IFDL. Some, like EPLRS are mesh networks, like zwave or zigbee, can self heal and relay messages from one point to another. SADL is like this, which the A-10 has as it is superior for CAS.

The way it works is actually quote cool. 16 uses a TDMA principle where JUs are assigned sets of time slots in which they can transmit or receive data, each slot is 1/128th of a second. There are about 50 frequencies, but the frequency hopping (every ~2 time slots, so like 10 ms) means in practice about half that can actually be used without interference. I'm sure you can imagine time sync is pretty important, though there are many ways to handle this depending on tactical situation. Still, if you are off link for a several hours and have no NTR, your Time Quality will degrade (like INS drift). The link runs in different modes, think wartime vs. peacetime. There are significant restrictions when in over US, as it can interfere with navigation and communication equipment of commercial aircraft. Anyway, with science lesson over, generally crew on an Aegis will operation the Link Management Systems that present a full real time tactical display of information on the different TDLs, as well as handle time slow assignments, participation groups, and the relay, gateway, gateway management required to keep everything functioning properly. Because link 16 is nodeless, taking out an aegis would not take out the entire network. Though taking out a high altitude gateway would degrade the ability for participants around terrain to transmit and receive.

Anyway, I envision a day where DCS evolves to come closer to the scale and complexity of a modern battlefield. Every sensor has value in post CEC Navy, where every sensor - on every ship, plane and drone is integrated into a real time fire control quality picture. Where C2 assets have value beyond points, where TDL assets are attacked and produce a tangible negative effect on network quality. Instead of 2 Hornets with HARMS being a sead mission I want 50 TALDs to light everything up in front 2x2 4-ship f-16s with sniper pods and HTS, that autonomously generate and relay ISR data as they cataloguing location and type of threats while engaging priority threats with anti-rad, where ISR is relayed to the squadron of F18s with JSOWs to take out launchers, C2, and any emitters that didn't power on. Adding more sensors gives those ships value besides force protection, and thus good mission targets.

Not talking two weeks or anything, but DCS already simplifies many of these systems already, a simplified implementation provides something to build upon.

UAVs too, fwiw. There are no where near enough drones. Did I say ISR? And Network enabled weapons? Walleye is cool but a bit vietnam era-ish.

Or what about UUVs? ya'll got any idea how many underwater drones we got?

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about