DCS: A-7E Corsair II by FlyingIron Simulations

fl0w

On 2/17/2021 at 10:55 AM, upyr1 said:

Is there any chance that we can get the D as well as the E? From my understanding the D and E are basically the same plane except for their inflight refueling system since the D is the USAF version and the D is the Navy version

We have not decided yet but it's unlikely we will be creating the D model. Whilst the D and E share a lot of similarities, it would require pretty much remodelling the entire cockpit and a good chunk of the exterior model, then coding all the different systems and changes in FM. A simple matter of easier said than done 🙂 But again, it's not something we have decided yet.

I've been working on an almost complete overhaul on the cockpit these last couple of weeks. Here is a pic of the progress so far.

3dsmax_M6B8vzm2wm.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not aware of all the relevant differences, but if it's that much of an effort, it's still relatively minor compared to making a new plane as you have like 95% of the work already cut out for you.

Given sufficient interest, perhaps you could offer it as a separate module and at a significantly reduced price to owners of the original module?

It's still too early to think about that of course, but I know I'd gladly pay more to have the USAF version as well.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I agree on a D model, that is something I'd pay a little bit extra to get. The E version is of course the main deal and can in a pinch be painted in SEA and play Airforce. But the D version would be a nice addition, since it represents a different role and slightly unique capabilities. But it is of course up to you developers whether it is feasible or not.

And that cockpit shot looks really nice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

I'm not aware of all the relevant differences, but if its that much of a significant effort, it's still relatively minor compared to making a new plane as you have like 95% of the work already cut out for you.

Given sufficient interest, perhaps you could offer it as a separate module and at a significantly reduced price to owners of the original module?

22 minutes ago, Marsvinet said:

I agree on a D model, that is something I'd pay a little bit extra to get. The E version is of course the main deal and can in a pinch be painted in SEA and play Airforce. But the D version would be a nice addition, since it represents a different role and slightly unique capabilities. But it is of course up to you developers whether it is feasible or not.

And that cockpit shot looks really nice!

+1 🙏

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

30 minutes ago, sparrow88 said:

What are those unique capabilities?

I'm not as updated on the A7 as I would like to be, but the main parts are the aerial refuelling method, boom instead of drouge and probe. Mavericks. Some more Air force only bomb options. There is probably some avionics differences beneath the hood as well, but I don't know any specifics.

I understand the work involved in making a D out of an E.

I also understand that because of the work involved, the profitability of selling more than one variant is a huge economic barrier to overcome.

Fortunately for me, the E is the better variant of the two as I thoroughly enjoy carrier operations.

But please provide a decent paint template so the modders can paint the D

If at all possible, please provide one or more of the most common/famous/popular D skins so that they can be seen in multiplayer without everyone on the server having to download a custom skin.

But if you made a D, I would buy it, too. Even if you had to sell it at full price.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

We are currently looking for SMEs to join our private Discord channel. If you have worked directly, or indirectly with the A-7, please join our Discord and send me (Alex) a PM.

I'm also hoping to post some more WIP images soon 🙂

Cheers,

Alex

-Edit- You know what, I'll share one now 🙂 

image.png

Edited by FIS-Donny
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking good! 😄

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...

Wilikinton247:

Thats the USS Constellation. The only carrier to operate A-7s in Desert Storm was the John F. Kennedy. I have the Osprey book A-7 Corsairs in Combat 1975-1991 and it doesn’t mention any Navy Corsairs carrying Mavericks. We know the Corsair could carry them, because the USAF was using them on the D model from the -65s introduction. The Navy used the -65F and it’s tough to find a date when it was introduced. I wouldn’t be surprised if the USN tested Mavericks on the SLUF but I’ve never seen any evidence that they carried them in Combat or planned to. By 1991 Va-46 and VA-72 were the last two active A-7 squadrons in the Navy, and they deactivated right after Desert Storm ended.

So looking into it further, this is a really weird picture. At no point did A-7s and F/A-18s serve together on board the Constellation. And yet, this A-7 is dirty as hell, like it's in the middle of operations, and those Mavericks don't appear to be training rounds. The band in front of the fins look more brown than blue. 

Edit - Did some more digging. According to this site, this picture was taken in August of 1988, at which point the Connie was doing training exercises off San Diego. However, on August 2nd, 1988 there was a fire that forced the Connie to return to port. So either this photo was taken on August 1st, or it wasn't taken in August. 

Edit 2 - According to this Navy document, the operational test for the AGM-65E was in 1982, and the F was in 1987. Here's a picture of the Navy testing a Maverick on an A-7E at China Lake in 1983, from here

R9d1d813438d449febc74b1602b4855e4?rik=V9

Edited by willkinton247
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that settles it then. RE models could shoot em. Someone has shown me that picture in Reddit and it just looks a little weird. Maverick would be great on the SLUF. I know Harriers and Hornets shot em in Desert Storm I just wasn’t sure about the A-7. The Gulf War AirPower survey was difficult for me to figure out which aircraft shot which rounds and I think an Air Force guy did it and didn’t pay too much attention to the A-7. Anyway we will have to see what the devs decide I’m pumped no matter what.

I looked at the Gulf War Air Power Survey, and according to it the USN did not shoot any Mavericks during Desert Storm. Only the USMC and USAF did, the Marines employing them on Harriers. 

That being said, the Navy's Mavericks at that point seem to have been more focused on a anti-ship role, per the E and F's larger warheads. At the same time, the A-7 seems to have been aimed at two major target sets: SEAD/DEAD (Using AGM-88s, Rockeyes, and GP bombs) and the occasional high priority target that required large amounts of precision (using Walleye). They were also employed as general strikers alongside A-6s, although the A-6 was generally the precision bomber as it could carry LGBs and other smart weapons. GWAPS Vol 3 also makes the point that the A-7 could not carry LGBs (Pg 139).

Screenshot 2021-04-15 143339.png

Apparently, according to the GWAPS volume 5, A-7s and A-6s actually employed the AGM-86E SLAM for the first time in combat during the Desert Storm, which is interesting. I wonder if we'll get the ability to launch that too. 

Screenshot 2021-04-15 143019.png