Skynet: An IADS for Mission Builders

Before i start, just a big thanks for the work your putting into this.

Noticed something while testing, seems to be related to the destruction of a unit.

Get this error in the log once it happens and the debug stops outputting information for contacts and sam info. Not sure if it's breaking anything other than the debug.

2020-03-18 05:48:17.541 ERROR   SCRIPTING: MIST|doScheduledFunctions|1019: Error in scheduled function: $1[string "C:\Users\**\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00005F22.lua"]:2101: Unit doesn't exist

Can be observed on the following test mission, running latest skynet version.

BlackSeaIADS.miz

Edited by Shadow.D.

second that, from @Shadow.D.

I'll second that from @Shadow.D. I'm also getting the error after a unit gets destroyed, I am running a single player with the latest Ver of your compiled script. The error is a .lua script error that freezes the game but when you acknowledge it and close the notice box the game resumes running with the IADS-debug only showing status or warnings but not all the information like before. I'm using 4 command centers, 17 SAM's, 10 EW (with one AWACS), NODE's connecting everything and mobile power supplies and Supply trucks for re-arming where needed.

Also having Jammer SEAD attacks on my installations. when something gets hit usually a mobile command unit of EW the debug and the IADS gets defunked. mission attached;

skynet-test-persian-gulf.miz

prefetch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 7700K, Win-8.1(wufuc), DCSW OB, FC3, CA, PG-map, Syria-map, Normandy-map, WWII-assetspack, Bf 109 K-4, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, Mi-8MTV2, BS2,

Before i start, just a big thanks for the work your putting into this.

Noticed something while testing, seems to be related to the destruction of a unit.

Get this error in the log once it happens and the debug stops outputting information for contacts and sam info. Not sure if it's breaking anything other than the debug.

2020-03-18 05:48:17.541 ERROR   SCRIPTING: MIST|doScheduledFunctions|1019: Error in scheduled function: $1[string "C:\Users\**\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00005F22.lua"]:2101: Unit doesn't exist

Can be observed on the following test mission, running latest skynet version.

Hi Shadow.D.

Thanks, Im surprised to see so many people using the script!

It found the bug, wrote a test to verify it and added the updated compiled script to your mission, it no longer shows up. Thanks for reporting. And keep me updated on the missions you're creating with the IADS.

I'll second that from @Shadow.D. I'm also getting the error after a unit gets destroyed, I am running a single player with the latest Ver of your compiled script. The error is a .lua script error that freezes the game but when you acknowledge it and close the notice box the game resumes running with the IADS-debug only showing status or warnings but not all the information like before. I'm using 4 command centers, 17 SAM's, 10 EW (with one AWACS), NODE's connecting everything and mobile power supplies and Supply trucks for re-arming where needed.

Also having Jammer SEAD attacks on my installations. when something gets hit usually a mobile command unit of EW the debug and the IADS gets defunked. mission attached;

[ATTACH]230071[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the feedback I tried to load your mission but don't seem to have all mods installed. I haven't tested the jammer for quite some time, it will be one of the next items on the todo list, consider it experimental for the time being.

Also i noticed this call in your setup:

setActAsEW(false)

you dont need to turn this of for every SAM site since by default the EW function is off.

Edited by tigair

Gotta push the limit :P Looking forward to connecting it all up to power and nodes. The static name bug currently in 2.5.6 is killing any motivation i have to start on it. Loving the script so far though, time to keep sending SEAD packages against it.

Gotta push the limit :P Looking forward to connecting it all up to power and nodes. The static name bug currently in 2.5.6 is killing any motivation i have to start on it. Loving the script so far though, time to keep sending SEAD packages against it.

True, 2.5.6 is a show stopper. I'm back on 2.5.5 for developing Skynet. I added lots of unit tests, so should a DCS update break something I should be able to fix it fast.

I saw the AI you sent against it in the mission ,-)

In terms of point defense, would the following be the best way to define multiple groups to a single defense? Or is there a way to define an array of groups.

local sa15001 = rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-15 #001')
local sa15002 = rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-15 #002')

rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-10 #001'):setActAsEW(true):addPointDefence(sa15001)
rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-10 #001'):setActAsEW(true):addPointDefence(sa15002)

The above seems to work fine, just wondering if there is a more "elegant" way of doing it.

I'll probably go down the road of a single group doing the defense, but while i''m messing around, why not.

Edited by Shadow.D.

In terms of point defense, would the following be the best way to define multiple groups to a single defense? Or is there a way to define an array of groups.

local sa15001 = rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-15 #001')
local sa15002 = rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-15 #002')

rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-10 #001'):setActAsEW(true):addPointDefence(sa15001)
rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-10 #001'):setActAsEW(true):addPointDefence(sa15002)

The above seems to work fine, just wondering if there is a more "elegant" way of doing it.

I'll probably go down the road of a single group doing the defense, but while i''m messing around, why not.

Wow you are a very fast tester :).

This should work, I will try it this evening:

local bunchOfSa15s = rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('group-containing-multiple-sa-15s')
rusIADS:getSAMSiteByGroupName('RUS_SAM SA-10 #001'):setActAsEW(true):addPointDefence(bunchOfSa15s)

Skynet should be able to handle a point defence group that contains multiple SA-15's in it.

Oh yeah it handles a group with multiple SA-15's perfectly fine, what i am doing is multiple groups of multiple SA-15's :P Sorry should of explained that better.

With that code i posted, i have 2 x groups of SA-15's, which contain 2 launcher sites plus resupply truck in each group. As i said it works perfectly well so far, i was just curious if there was another way of doing it. But dont worry about that, you crack on with the good work.

Edited by Shadow.D.

Ok I get it, well for the time being the method you described is the only way to add multiple point defence groups.

If think multiple SA15s in one group attack HARMs more coordinated, meaning that the two units in a group will not fire at the same HARM simultaneously.

I just added a new point Defence option called:

redIADS:setIgnoreHARMSWhilePointDefencesHaveAmmo(true)

See docs for details!

More features are coming I guess that's the upside of the lockdown.

Edited by tigair

Awesome job dude, just had a right good ol' time, going up against it. Still not started on the nodes and command centers, having too much fun fighting it. :P

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Shadow.D.

Jammer messages from deug:

@tigair

I'v been testing again after a catastroph with my powersupply

On the newe'st script from 3-24,

the jammer messages from the debug are producing multiple reports from the same radars, and they start to get garbled as the jammer approaches the radar

the texts get smaller and more garbled as the jammer aircraft approaches

I tried turning off the reports with the F10 menu but no joy

the reports keep on coming

they are very detailed and show lots of info but the duplication overloads the screen

other than that I am testing the responce of the point defence SAM's also

I need to do more testing and set up a CLEAN mission that I can send you

in case I need to send an "example"

prefetch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 7700K, Win-8.1(wufuc), DCSW OB, FC3, CA, PG-map, Syria-map, Normandy-map, WWII-assetspack, Bf 109 K-4, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, Mi-8MTV2, BS2,

Great to hear,

I think the jammer is probably the most unrealistic feature of Skynet. I'm not quite sure if I will use it in my missions. Will look in to the debug output.

The other elements (HARM defence, radar detection) are probably closer to the way a real IADS behaves.

Anyone had any issues with SA-11's? If i set them as EW, they are active and respond to threats. But they do not appear to get activated by the IADS like the other sites. Just a general enquiry, it might well be something my end, just want to check.

Could it be the bug I mentioned here:

Are there known bugs?

Yes, when placing multi unit SAM sites (e.g. SA-3 Patriot..) make sure the first unit you place is the search radar. If you add any other element as the first unit, Skynet will not be able to read radar data. The result will be that the SAM site won't go live. This bug was observed in DCS 2.5.5. The SAM site will work fine when used as a standalone unit outside of Skynet.

Debugger issues remain

@tigair

I'm still having issues with the Debugger reporting destruction of units and that causing scripting errors for the game,

it doesn't shut the game down but it stops the game until you accept the lua script error message.

Then the game resumes without problem until the next units destruction and lua script error message.

I'm trying to run my test mission with all the Debug process set to false,

then use the f10 menu to check status and contacts.

I got some problems there also with turning the status off again after turning it on.

I've got to run it some more so I can let you know the repeatable errors.

also I'll give a copy of my test mission with no addons

Also I am seeing the SA-10 sites seem to not launch on anything if they have a point defence site attached, maybe I'm doing something wrong

I'll keep working on it, it's not really work though more like it's fun

THNX for your output

prefetch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the info prefetch.

If you have e mission where I can reproduce the bugs, send it to me and I will fix it.