Why is HUD so small? KA-50

RichardG

So helpful.

Well, the OP said the HUD is too small, but it's not; it's the same as it always was. So, how helpful could a reply be when the HUD is just fine... and OP didn't provide anything else to further his point?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

In VR the HUD is a little narrower than a box of Kellogg's cornflakes, about 3/4s the height?... I think.

Not American monster size off course, UK regular and not UK family size...… obviously.

looks big to me.

edit... after looking at it again, 1/2 the width of a box of kelloggs.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The 3d model is not magically different between 2d and 3d, and it isn't that hard when creating a model to size it appropriately to the real thing, so there's a 99% chance it's on the user end. Adjust the ingame IPD until the cockpit feels scaled properly (according to yourself, anyway) and move on.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

My HUD looks fine on 2d

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Also the forced IPD in the DCS setup menu not only increases scale but depth into the pit as you look down. this is the weirdest setting ever as it makes everything bigger but does not affect FOV.... weird!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Also the forced IPD in the DCS setup menu not only increases scale but depth into the pit as you look down. this is the weirdest setting ever as it makes everything bigger but does not affect FOV.... weird!

That's because in VR your viewpoint comes from two very closely spaced cameras where your virtual ''eyes'' would be. The IPD is the distance between those cameras. It will not affect FoV at all, but it can affect the impression of size of near objects (ie the cockpit) to an extent due to its nature. That's also why when you adjust it under certain circumstances it can take your eyes a second to readjust.

The dimensions of the object don't change but your reference points for seeing them DOES. If I understand, the POSITION of your virtual eyes remains the same, but the distance between then as they're rendered on the display changes.

Edited by zhukov032186

the hud numbers are kind of small at default zoom in VR.

i find myself referencing the gauges instead of the hud.

especially as you need the sun shade up to see the hud on a bright day.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

You can zoom in, default zoom is unrealistic.

There is no ''zoom'' default or otherwise to be ''unrealistic''. It's 1-to-1 scale, and your FoV is whatever the headset is. IPD can affect the ''appearance'' of size to an extent, but if configured properly that also be 1-to-1 (the goal in VR, presumably). If it seems small or far away, either it IS small/far away or the IPD is off.

The ILS-31 (ИЛС-31) that equips our Ka-50 is actually not that big. It's also the same unit that equips the Su-27.

You can try to compare/estimate the real size based on videos.

But if you've got the chance to see a real HUD from that generation (or similar), you might remember that the glass reflector is roughly larger than your (large) hand.

Although, it might be difficult to get it just right with the 3D representation in a simulation, even in VR.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Actually, I'm the NON - VR.

But it's not like ED's going to do that anyway.

Still trying to get some time to tweak the cockpit graphics. If you set it low graphics, you don't get the blinding light, darkness, and reflections, and you can see it actually does have some textures on it.

Edited by 3WA