[REPORTED]VR Performance OB 2.5.6

Gripen 4-1

17-21 FPS in Hornet with SA page up. Shimmering clouds are back.

This is using the following setup:

3700x, 32 gb RAM, 1080ti, Rift S, all this with reasonable settings in DCS. In fact, I turned them down this past week in an attempt to get online with decent performance.

I'll give it another go later with different A/C in a less crowded server, and on single player to see what results are and report back.

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep no improvement here either...

@Bignewy/@NineLine/Kate on what machines were you seeing performance improvements in VR and what were their settings?

Were you using shader mod at all during this last go?

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

I tried today's update both with and without the mod but it doesn't seem to make any difference anymore.

Probably because my settings are turned all the way down to try , without success, to have something playable...

i tried it without and with the shaders mod, the shaders mod made about a 2ms of difference to the GPU frame times (but thats kind of what i expect), but the CPU is still spiking all over the place, unless you turn off mirrors and shadows, which is not the same as in 2.5.5 under the same conditions, either with or without the shaders mod.

overall the perf remains unchanged.

I can get acceptable performance by turning off all the eye candy, all shadows, terrain shadows and mirrors etc... but that's not an acceptable outcome overall.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

No improvement, even worse. Serious stuttering in some missions with ground units.

Not TRK... @Bignewy/@NineLine/Kate: please launch missions KA-50 Insurgents quick mission in Caucasus, or F-16 freeflight in PG... stutter terrible, fps lower to 10fps even looking the sky. No track needed, just track by yourself.

Seriouslu @KATE@Bignewy: were is the "significant" changes you promised for this last one version? Could detail to me were is "the change" in code? It is even worse the situation that in the latest one 2.5.6... incredible.

Seriously, maybe you have quite good engineers in avionics knowledge (I have no doubt about that), in flight modelling (the best in market), terrain artists (quite good, but not excellence), etc... but in "engine optimization" or code improvements, debugging, etc... looking the last months, is a seriously lacking area. Not regards this sim itself,... please look other sims in market who maintain 90fps with HUGE great deatail and effects. I´m sure that you know what I´m referring.

Of course, I have no doubt you have many professional people in many areas, but in code optimization, looking the work done, what was promised, its a completely disaster. Please make seriously to consider hiring some guy expert in code optimization & software debugging to your staff, I´m very concernt about current situation. Signficant FPS in the last 2.5.6 we´re worked... no carrier ops... please forgive it and make the right choices if you want we support the sim.

Thanks

Edited by Gryzor

Wow had to edit my message, just tried it in my stand alone new beta install and something seriously wrong in the Ka50 attack insurgents instant action mission, something is killing the cpu side. Gpu usauge is nill and lowest frames ive ever seen like 2fps stutter fest in vr. Previous update was running this mission beautifully for me with rig below

track added its short because that mission is Ralph inducing

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Wow had to edit my message, just tried it in my stand alone new beta install and something seriously wrong in the Ka50 attack insurgents instant action mission, something is killing the cpu side. Gpu usauge is nill and lowest frames ive ever seen like 2fps stutter fest in vr. Previous update was running this mission beautifully for me with rig below

track added its short because that mission is Ralph inducing

Yes, this is in the new beta. In previous 2.5.6 no such downgrade. Attach my TRK. Happens in other missions like free flight with F-16 in PG. FXO metashaders cleaned.

HINT to DEVs @KATE@BIGNEWY: If you remove the ural trucks file with the editor, (only 6-7 AI units driving offroad throught the forest) the sutter disappears. AI pathfinding CPU new FPS issue?

KA-50 HUGE_Stutter.miz.trk

Had the same FPS hit in that mission, in my second attempt i just flew back to the FARP and waited a couple of minutes. In that time the Hinds finish their attack run and FPS come back slightly (but only to 30). I have to watch those trucks more closely next time.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I went in to the mission and edited it. Deleted all the waypoints for ground vehicles and fps is beautiful again. So something with path finding or......:thumbup:

attached mission for others to test:thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Yes, lower number of units in group and less movement of the groups will help with FPS, at least for now.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Oh come on ED....... please fix this ASAP! With this framerates in VR you don't even think about releasing the Supercarrier! We can't use it anyways with 20 FPS. 2 months since 2.5.6 and you did not iron it out! I think it will take a long time to get 2.5.6 to the stable with good FPS!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gripen 4-1

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

Oh come on ED....... please fix this ASAP! With this framerates in VR you don't even think about releasing the Supercarrier! We can't use it anyways with 20 FPS. 2 months since 2.5.6 and you did not iron it out! I think it will take a long time to get 2.5.6 to the stable with good FPS!!!!!!!!

Best go back to Stable, rather than Open Beta. It will take them a while to fix 2.5.6, as they have said several times.

yep no improvement here either...

@Bignewy/@NineLine/Kate on what machines were you seeing performance improvements in VR and what were their settings?

Could you please answer this ED?

I assume you guys do performance testing all the time yourself before releasing patches to OB. Would be good to know what settings and machines you're using.

Bignewy's post here:

please let us know if you see any improvement.

suggests that changes have been made and we should be able to see improvement.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Performance notes 2.5.6.47224

Please see for reference:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4221938&postcount=73

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4270912&postcount=324

As others have observed, I also see serious issues in the ka-50 insurgents mission. I just flew on initial heading until I got shot at by ground forces. I was getting around 5 fps. Something is very wrong. Curiously, it was ok for the first few seconds in the mission, but after that the performance tanked.

For my usual empty world f-18 mission, performance is worse than 2.5.5 but shows a sliver of an improvement over the previous 2.5.6. This can be seen in that ASW doesn't kick in until later.

I'll just add the following:

We plan to deliver 2.5.6 OB today with increase of frame rate but it will not be the same as for 2.5.5 because there are changes in 2.5.6:

Improved Water

The transparency of the water has been improved; the depth of the water now feels more accurate and water becomes more blurred the deeper you go. The upcoming torpedos for WWII Asset Pack will be easier to track underwater. The shorelines also benefit greatly from this improvement, in particular the cliffs of Dover in the new theatre DCS: The Channel.

Improved Environment Lighting

We have worked hard to increase the range and visibility of lights to enhance the night flying experience. We know that it is far from perfect and will continue to improve the look and feel at night.

and it impacts on frame rates and there are some other changes to 2.5.5 that also impact, for example, an update of special effects.

Finally! How refreshingly honest. So that's that. Fair enough. It's exasperating that this wasn't just stated in the first place from day 1.

From my personal view, the water improvements I could live without if it meant a few more frames in VR. Could this not be offered as an option?

2.5.6.47224_20200417_01.thumb.jpg.ec5bcd45132e4f59d599bd924dc3cced.jpg

2.5.6.47224_20200417_02.thumb.jpg.699995aa8fb6df1ac9abd44509c672f4.jpg

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Please see for reference:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4221938&postcount=73

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4270912&postcount=324

As others have observed, I also see serious issues in the ka-50 insurgents missions. I just flew on initial heading until I got shot at by ground forces. I was getting around 5 fps. Something is very wrong. Curiously, it was ok for the first few seconds of the missions, but after that the performance tanked.

For my usual empty world f-18 mission, performance is worse than 2.5.5 but shows a sliver of an improvement over the previous 2.5.6. This can be seen in that ASW doesn't kick in until later.

I'll just add the following:

Finally! How refreshingly honest. So that's that. Fair enough. It's exasperating that this wasn't just stated in the first place from day 1.

From my personal view, the water improvements I could live without if meant a few more frames in VR. Could this not be offered as an option?

Personally, I don't believe the issues are anything to do with the new lighting system or water. Some deterioration is inevitable with any new graphics addition, but that is not what we are talking about. There is a massive CPU drain in certain circumstances - which I believe relates to external objects - which in turn causes huge drops in fps. Normal flight with the new water and lighting effects is perfectly OK and on a par with 2.5.5.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

I have only seen a marginal improvement, others are reporting better results, but for the most it is still pretty bad.

The team continue with their work to try and resolve it.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Personally, I don't believe the issues are anything to do with the new lighting system or water.

For the slowdown that seems to happen with AI objects present, it does seem unlikely. Perhaps someone could ask Kate Perederko to comment on this specifically?

Some deterioration is inevitable with any new graphics addition, but that is not what we are talking about.

It's precisely what I'm talking about, when I refer to my "empty world" f-18 mission. I disagree that it's inevitable - the possible leveraging of new hardware features can often allow better graphics at similar or better performance.

I reckon there's been a decrease in performance of approx 10% - 20% because of these improvements. It's been "hidden" because of the disastrous AI object frame rate drops. But, in VR, where every bit of performance counts, it is not insignificant. From the quote above, it seems that we're going to have to live with it.

Normal flight with the new water and lighting effects is [...] on a par with 2.5.5.

Quite clearly, I disagree with this statement, and I back it up with the screenshots I have posted. I'll wait for you to do the same, before I take your statement seriously.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I have only seen a marginal improvement, others are reporting better results, but for the most it is still pretty bad.

The team continue with their work to try and resolve it.

Im glad to see its acknowledged :thumbup:. Hope they find the culprit soon, cause 2.5.6 performance is really frustrating in some/most unit intensive missions.

From where Im sitting, its definitely something that cuts the legs of the CPU. Its not a GPU / render problem. CPU is chewing on something simulation something that wasnt the case in 2.5.5, and some situations are a lot worse than others. And its not a VR problem, we are just more sensitive to performance loss in VR.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Im glad to see its acknowledged :thumbup:

Is it being acknowledged, though? I can't help but get the feeling that we're all shouting "the BIG problem is in missions with AI objects!", and that ED are testing with missions without AI objects and trying to fix the smaller problem.

It just seems odd that none of the comments from ED mods / spokespersons ever mention AI objects.

Lost in translation? Or maybe it's just me?

Is it being acknowledged, though? I can't help but get the feeling that we're all shouting "the BIG problem is in missions with AI objects!", and that ED are testing with missions without AI objects and trying to fix the smaller problem.

It just seems odd that none of the comments from ED mods / spokespersons ever mention AI objects.

Lost in translation? Or maybe it's just me?

I have to agree that AI object (especially AC) seem to have a huge impact on performance (more than before). Just create a mission on the Stennis, test it and then add a few (2 or 3) AI Hornets on the deck, test again and see that performance is destroyed.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have tried the latest beta release again today (2.5.6.47224), but no performance improvement for me. I have attached comparison screenshots with 2.5.5 taken when spawning in a 4YA Nevada mission with the F/A-18C from a hanger as an example.

You can see the framerate is less than half in 2.5.6, so not sure how this was un-noticed when the patch was released??:(

Edit: Performance of 2.5.6 tested spawning under the same conditions except no AI at all. Much better!!:thumbup:

781655193_Capture2-5-5.thumb.JPG.bd84e13eab496a8a8b8947e5b736befd.JPG

1546376184_Capture2-5-6.thumb.JPG.608111a049ea19127c8a14eb13315cfa.JPG

1216622782_Capture2-5-6-NoAI.thumb.JPG.e00b30d72ad81d5bfe0347bba3806c12.JPG

Edited by NAKE350

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

It's not just VR that is seeing a huge hit in FPS. I haven't tried the latest patch that came out today, but prior to this I set up a very basic mission to train in - Nevada map, single F-14 hot on runway. Everything runs beautifully smooth (50-60fps, latter of which is limit of my display) at 4K resolution with everything maxed except mirrors, scenery, and that new reflections thingy. However, as soon as I add a flight of four F-15s with two waypoints, and an E3 with 10 waypoints, I get an extremely noticeable stutter every 20 seconds or so. I haven't changed a single other thing in the mission, and there are no other units on the map. If I delete the F-15s and E3, it's back to perfect performance.

So yeah, it's not just VR that has seen poor performance involving AI units. Obviously there's a bug somewhere in there.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I have tried the latest beta release again today (2.5.6.47224), but no performance improvement for me. I have attached comparison screenshots with 2.5.5 taken when spawning in a 4YA Nevada mission with the F/A-18C from a hanger as an example.

You can see the framerate is less than half in 2.5.6, so not sure how this was un-noticed when the patch was released??:(

Edit: Performance of 2.5.6 tested spawning under the same conditions except no AI at all. Much better!!:thumbup:

Can see in your screenshots there too, that the simulation frametime explodes in 2.5.6. 6.6ms in 2.5.5 vs 36.2ms in 2.5.6, for certain missions.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• ED Team
I have tried the latest beta release again today (2.5.6.47224), but no performance improvement for me.
Please attach your test mission.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы