[REPORTED]2.5.6 Performance

My experience has been frustrating, especially with 2.5#. I have been using DCS for many years. I play on my desktop not a server location... The only change with significant positive affect was to LIMIT FRAME RATES to 72fps with Riva. Prior to that I was able to get a range from 60 - 140 FPS and thinking hey thats cool.... but it stuttered tooooo much ! WHY ?

Google it ...

You can limit the frame rate other ways but why has no one (everyone!) mentioned this ?????

Significant change in game performance.

AND I turned on VSYNCH !!

I have Geforce GTX 1050 video card and 4 core 3.4ghz processor, 32g memory.

It’s a matter of perspective, and smooth is a very subjective word...

Normally I would suggest about 60 and above in 2d, i would recommend 60 and 120 for track IR users, some people say 1 less.

For VR it’s complex, but at least 50% of your frame rate for your HMD, and you can turn on motion smoothing, or asw etc...

there are a lot of guides on settings and optimising your pc and dcs.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Today after a long time I tried out the Huey and I saw dips in frame rate from 60 to 54 and sometimes even into the 30s. That is what brought me to this thread. I see it's very long one. Can someone tell me if there is a fix for it?

I was flying the Huey Training mission: Pickup and takeoff. The fps drops occur mostly when I fly around the buildings and trees on the right side of the runway.

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Can. You give us some information...about your settings, and I would suggest a start a separate thread.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

ok

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Fixed! :)

I excluded the main DCS and Saved Games folder from my Anti-Virus

• 3 weeks later...

DSR in the Nvidia Control panel (Dynamic SUPER Resolution?)

:thumbup: DSR DSR DSR

Not clear what Monitor you use, but for me 1080p was all I was thinking I could muster (native resolution)

DSR in the Nvidia control panel makes a significant difference. You can access up to 4k (3840x2160) and others in DCS !! AND turn off all ANTIALIASING.

Why has no one mentioned DSR before ?

I have been diddling with this for more than a few years, and its a game changer.

Also explore the MAX Frame Rates in NVIDIA control panel... the idea being 60hz monitor cant handle more than 60 FPS, wild fluctuations in frame rate can cause stutters, and drops.

I also confess that I have preferred 1.5 to 2.5 because it works better !

DELL Xps 8700 i5 4460 3.2 32Gig Ram

Nvidia GTX 1050 ti

Sony Bravia 1080 p 42" TV

Track IR 5.1

:pilotfly:

Yeah, that was my mistake!

And here are my personal conclusions (yet again :lol:) from testing today in the stable version (non-Steam and in VR using Rift S):

Way better performance overall. 15-40 FPS more than compared to beta+shader mod! And I tested kegetys version for 2.5.6.49314 (latest compatible version for up to date DCS stable version) which gave me not really that much of a boost - actually I couldn't "really" see a difference in FPS (there is some but maybe max 5 FPS more).

In that case I decided to go without the shaders mod (looks better too as we all know). And fortunately I could theoretically push visible range up to high because the FPS won't go under 40 even with MSAA x4. And what I saw too what always wondered me in beta: My FPS changed if I changed the MSAA, I never see that in beta. And to put one more thing on this: in beta it wasn't possible for me to go higher than a PD of 1.0 even with MSAA off completely which I always felt was strange, even when I lowered the PD to like 0.5 I couldn't get a single FPS more out of it, that's why I thought this all comes down to the CPU which also was strange since I don't think that my 7700k @ 4.9 MHz and my 1080ti could be that bad- but in stable I have to say DCS feels like a completely different game performance wise. I see differences in FPS when I am changing settings which, like I said before, strangely wasn't the case in beta.

So the big conclusion (how many do I have now? haha :lol:):

Something is wrong with the beta version at least in my case.

And stable is the way to go when there are performance problems with the beta version.

I would love to see others testing this and maybe you see the difference in FPS too.

The attached screenshots are showing my ingame settings, the nvidia controll settings and an inflight screenshot from the instant action free flight mission in PG with the F/A-18. (same thing with the performance in Caucasus compared to beta!)

And with that I am now going to have a nice cold Heineken!

Cheers :joystick:

:thumbup: DSR DSR DSR

Not clear what Monitor you use, but for me 1080p was all I was thinking I could muster (native resolution)

DSR in the Nvidia control panel makes a significant difference. You can access up to 4k (3840x2160) and others in DCS !! AND turn off all ANTIALIASING.

Why has no one mentioned DSR before ?

I have been diddling with this for more than a few years, and its a game changer.

Also explore the MAX Frame Rates in NVIDIA control panel... the idea being 60hz monitor cant handle more than 60 FPS, wild fluctuations in frame rate can cause stutters, and drops.

DELL Xps 8700 i5 4460 3.2 32Gig Ram

Nvidia GTX 1050 ti

Sony Bravia 1080 p 42" TV

Track IR 5.1

:pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

I would like to say my thoughts about performance and I would appreciate if ED would utilize it and take advantage of all conclusions.

First of all my hardware isn't new but also isn't so bad:

Workstation Dell M6700 Precision, Intel Core i7-3740QM, @ 2.70GHz 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, Video Card K3000M with 2GB memory.

I use DCS 1.5.8 with HDR off, SSAA OFF, Lens effects off, water to low and rest settings to medium (in general), it gives me with good circumstances 50 FPS (medium altitude flying in cockpit) and with bad circumstances about 28-30 FPS (close to city, airports and with some models of aircraft using effects - shoot, flare etc.).

When use DCS 2.5 it is like drama even at everything possible to LOW or OFF. I have finally 15-24 FPS, and all DCS looks like LOMAC.. DCS 1.5.8 in this case made everything look magnificent, while 2.5 makes me cry. All I can do is to forget about multiplayer or big single player mission and the beauty of the World.

The most interesting thing is that if I play a mission with AI Su-17M4 model (which is the most performance friendly) flying at 10 000 km altitude precisely at the center of Black Sea I have 24 FPS - without terrain rendering, without shooting, just water. Low altitude gives same results. Over terrain I have only 3-6 FPS less so terrain consume just 3 FPS but engine itself and water consume 20+.

Conclusion: new engine of DCS 2.5 has got low performace i.a. due to new FPS consuming water and HDR forced to be ON.

User should have the possibility to turn it off. Water settings doesn't change anything visually in 2.5. As it is rendered even below terrain it is not surpricing that it should be treated as major factor for performace among various hardwares.

Hi Mateo,

I am sorry to say that your hardware is outdated. Your CPU is 6 years old and my non-overclocked 7700k from 2017 was 60% faster on a single core (DCS is single core speed dependent). Your GPU has a very low 3D mark score of 1657. Compare that to a old but decent (but not high end card) like the 1070ti with a score of 14043. That's a huge difference.

Now, you can compare changes in DCS engine performance and that's fair enough from a pure FPS perspective when comparing versions. But the fact is that you're trying to play a newer, demanding game engine on kit that isn't designed for good gaming performance, and the game itself isn't optimised for multi-core CPUs.

PC specs:

I agree that my hardware is outdated, but I think the clue is somewhere else. Nowadays the development of new, more efficient hardware is very fast, people don't want to buy new kit every year.

Let's consider something like water in two different DCS versions. Water at High in older DCS compared to water at High in new DCS looks very similar to me. Performance cost is huge. You can say that people have today more powerful kit and developers consider this as a base, but why developers don't improve really the graphics - they produce something new on new engine, and it looks even worse and need more powerful hardware, that is my point.

Progress should not mean that new version demand more power but looks worse.

I think nobody will complain and many people will appreciate a possibility to turn HDR off and reduce water FPS consumption.

If DCS would be stable and work not only on rocket-PC but also eldery it would be the same successful as Grand Thieft Auto V, because it would be the same principle - the more PC handle it, the more people buy it.

Best Regards,

Mateo

• 2 months later...

same here, performance is horrible.

From my point of view and personal opinion, I sincerely believe that eagle dynamics should focus on seriously optimizing the graphics engine or the base of the game, let me explain

I think they should make a break in terms of creating modules (let's be honest we have modules for 7 lives) and they should focus on optimizing the graphics engine / base, I have understood and had read that it only uses one processor core, right? If so, they should work on it, and optimize the base, I had in mind to buy a new computer, but I will save money for the moment, what is the use of having a new CPU if it is going to use only one core? my current pc is more than capable of moving dcs to 1080p, I don't want more, but let's face it, the optimization is horrible.

For the DEVS and users: They should put aside momentarily the creation of modules and focus 100% 100 on the base of the graphic engine and above all we users do our part and not complain that the modules have faults or some bug

• Like 1

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

[sIGPIC]https://store.carrierbuilders.net/images/F-18SE-002.jpg[/sIGPIC]