Uuuuaaaah..! I have started building now..!

Triggerhappy69

R-800 Panel building

Half of the R-800 Panel is finished. Still need to sand the edges, and paint it.!

The backlights will come from 3mm LED's. And I will redo the print paper so it looks like the APU panel (.. May need to aquire some Photoshop help..)

390545664_R-800Panel.jpg.0dcfd1fb4fb27674e02c474ce4796cde.jpg

All the parts..

BREAKOUT BOARD:

283333901_BreakoutBoard.jpg.651d28b9ad0df034b150a55936d3c9a5.jpg

Just started making the Leftside breakout board. This one will hold the connections to the LED's, and the Reed Relay that controlles them (the samll black thingie).. I have tested it already, and it seems to work just fine with the IOCard's 5V oputput switching the Reed Relay and admitting a 12V source to run the LED's.

1696611275_BreakoutBoard(2).jpg.bdbfc02a67ec4d354c9055bc44f97b0a.jpg

The lower connections in the picture are the outputs for all the warning lights. They will run on the 5V output from the IOCard, but I put them on the same breakoutboard to try and have some kind of system on my resistors.

A seperate breakout board will hold all the switch connections. And the two board will connect to the Masterboard via a cable of some sort.. More on that when I make my mind up..

LATER MATES..!:thumbup:

• Like 1

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was doing a search on parts of plexi glass. To make the buttons out of (.500" / 12.70mm). I found a place here in CA USA that makes .500" Square Extruded Acrylic Rod at $0.91 a foot (6ft increments) http://www.eplastics.com/ . This can be cut down to make about 140 buttons. Using the method found here http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/building%20tip.html it will be cheaper to make all the pannels with the squar PB and a cheap PB switch under thim. Tanks for that web site Triggerhappy69.

edit: they also make premade .500" cubes for $0.30 each 1-99

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

KA-50 Collective and Cyclic stick building - Update

Yahoo..! I got the coolie hats from Guillemot techincal Support (Thanx a lot Guys..!)

So I can finally continue on the stick and collective building..!

596706530_CyclicStickCoolieHat.jpg.d2a219eb959ba4811ca7fd8a3c70b861.jpg

The Cyclic has just one Coolie hat. Now that I have it in it's place, I whish I had made the switch box approx 10% smaller. But what the heck! It looks good and works fine..:(

740823770_CyclicandCollectiveWithCoolieHats.jpg.5b8aa4f7ad9be90e0bac41ba7ef1dc90.jpg 1325383443_CyclicandCollectiveWithCoolieHats(1).jpg.fc1b233b456b6e91374931a6ebc73e14.jpg

Both of them..

518200044_CollectiveStickCoolieHats.jpg.c76bf80d1d6a653286b0c229b018daa7.jpg

The Collective has two coolie hats. Unfortunately one of them broke in transport, but I made an emergency repair. And I just don't have the patiience to return it to Guillemot techincal Support.

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to thank the guys at Guillemot. They have really been fast and expedite. It turned out the weeks of wayting was due to slow postal service between Canada and Norway..

So again THANK YOU Guillemot techincal Support ..!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ka-50 Main Front Panel

Building a cockpit has so far been a series of new and unexpected challenges.. Take for instance the fact that the pit not only has to look somewhat like it's original, but also has to have proportions that actually will work when sitting down in it..!?

And this later issue is so far the hardest obstacle to pass.. I have measured and drawn and cut (MDF plates, plexiglass and the odd accational finger...:cry:)

Also it has become clear to me that without some kind of plan of progression I'll get frustrated and bored long before it's finished.!

Why am I telling you this I hear you ask? (feel free to repeat to yourself at will..) Well..!?

Status right now is that the seat in it's rough and undetailed state is finished. This was my first build, since the rest of the cockpit is related to the pilots referance anyway. The front center pedestal (where the cyclic is attached) is done. The left front side-panel with both APU&Turbine start panel has been made, rejected, made again and rejected once more. But now both panels have been redrawn. And drawings have been sendt to my CnC contact for finishing. Until he's finished I will connect the latest version i made (and the only one you have seen).

I have spent hours trying to make an spreadsheet where I can keep some control of In/Outputs , wires , powersources , switches , relays , buttons , rotating switches , encoders , servos , steppermotors , encoders , LED's and Aaaaargh..! :helpsmilie:

Unfortunately all of these things are time consuming and not really worthy of a Pitbuild update on the forum. At least not untill it's finished.

HOWEVER..! I have reached a milestone tonight. Finally I have settled on the size of the Main Front Panel and its Gauges. Originally it should be a two-piece, horisontaly split, panel

7bd54f47.jpg.6ba9a9ea7b6cd5caaac6b3fc3be26524.jpg

Like this...

Since I'm not sure if I will ever be able (or patient enough) to build the HSI and VOR, and probablt will start by projecting these two instruments on an LCD screen. I have made the panel flat so I use a small LCD behind these two Gauges. The other gauges will be buildt with servos. Just because I know I'll have such fun tinkering with all the cogwheels and motors.

1945386123_Ka-50MainFrontPanel02.jpg.15330ae1fbf477b4e9b9430b0002ff84.jpg

And here it is.. It might seem insignificant, but it set's the referance point for everything in the pit exept the pilot...

The plate is a 12mm laminate of unknown type. And it will have a 1mm plastic plate bonded to it's front to give the right texture apperance (and hide wires and fixing points for lighting and instruments behind it).

Next on my list is fixing all the pits modules together, and make pictures for you guys.. But that will have to wait a couple of days.. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Blush.... You Guys..!

Looks good:thumbsup:

Waouwwww,

It's realy a great great job !!

For sure, KAMOV will contact you soon for his new helicopter !!

You have now only to find two engines and ready to take off....

Raz

Cyclic and collective are looking good!

Thanx guys..!

Ps. Nordic? Could you send me some info on how you made your pedals? I was sure I had it somewhere, but I must have lost it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I feal the same way at time's. I take a brake and think I got to do this agin whin the AH-64 comes out :( Thin I deside to slack on detail alittle and find ( like with the dash and center consol stand) that Now I have a new problem. I have to desin and build a set of rudder pedals that I can reach with my feet. The center stand is too long to reach my curint pedils and I don't want to cut thim up to fit. So I am building a ne set that will go inside the stand and will use the same plug as the peddals that I have right now. This means wiring cutting holes in the side of the stand in the wright place. Mounting the device to match the holes and work it the corect manner. phewww

Now that I said it I just have to do it. DAM! :surrender:

and I still don't have a IO card or a manual to program the switches.:cry:

Some day it will be dun. Thin I can start on the AH64:noexpression:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I feal the same way at time's. I take a brake and think I got to do this agin whin the AH-64 comes out :( Thin I deside to slack on detail alittle and find ( like with the dash and center consol stand) that Now I have a new problem. I have to desin and build a set of rudder pedals that I can reach with my feet. The center stand is too long to reach my curint pedils and I don't want to cut thim up to fit. So I am building a ne set that will go inside the stand and will use the same plug as the peddals that I have right now. This means wiring cutting holes in the side of the stand in the wright place. Mounting the device to match the holes and work it the corect manner. phewww

Now that I said it I just have to do it. DAM! :surrender:

and I still don't have a IO card or a manual to program the switches.:cry:

Some day it will be dun. Thin I can start on the AH64:noexpression:

Don't do any modding to your pedals mate.! I made the center consol so I could make some simple "helicopter" pedals integrated into the center stand. Choppers need to be flown with the pedals out of center all the time. So I made pedals that can be used without having to move your heel at all (lesson learned from flying EECH with fixed wing pedals... and suffering from cramps in both legs!)

The pedals are made up from stuff you probably have in your garage, and the most complacated parts are skateboard bearings that are the same all over the planet..

Have you ordered your IOCards from Opencockits now? Then your wait will be short.! Those guys really deliver..!

As I mentioned I have started making a spreadsheet to get some kind of overview of all the "stuff".. I'll send the spreadsheet to your e-mail this weekend so you can look at it and tell me I suck.. :book:

In times like these we must keep our heads clear and our pants on my friend..! Or at least the first thing.!:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you ordered your IOCards from Opencockits now?

I believe Cat plans to use the Hagstrom KE72 for a start, just for input switches, and learn about interfacing from there. None of the output LED, LCD, 7 segment display and servos advanced stuff like you, yet.

I, however, will be joining you in the fun on Opencockpit cards. And we'd share our fun/headache in LOSOIC coding.

Cat, Hagstrom does have output cards, but it's purely customised to individuals, and it's not stated clearly how it looks like or work. I've not seen anyone use their output solution so far. Most people just use the KE72, though they have five to six cards.

I believe Cat plans to use the Hagstrom KE72 for a start, just for input switches, and learn about interfacing from there. None of the output LED, LCD, 7 segment display and servos advanced stuff like you, yet.

I, however, will be joining you in the fun on Opencockpit cards. And we'd share our fun/headache in LOSOIC coding.

Cat, Hagstrom does have output cards, but it's purely customised to individuals, and it's not stated clearly how it looks like or work. I've not seen anyone use their output solution so far. Most people just use the KE72, though they have five to six cards.

Sorry guys.. I got you mixed up for some reason.. Serves me right for posting late at night I guess.. :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ps. Nordic? Could you send me some info on how you made your pedals? I was sure I had it somewhere, but I must have lost it?

Hmm.. did i ever talk about that? I don't know... i posted some pictures for sure.. what exactly do you need?

• Like 2

Again.. really good job on following the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule... Mainly what I want to know is where you got the dampeners from. And the manufacturers name and model number..!

Thx. Keepins things simple is usually the most difficult part :joystick:

I got those gassprings, not dampers, from ebay. They are really strong (200N Force =~20 Kg), but because of the the way they are mounted, the low spring spring rate and friction the forces of the two springs cancel each other out so there is no centering force. If you can find weaker gas springs i would prefer them, because those 20 Kg ones i have are quite a beast to mount.

Anyways the feel they offer is pretty good with a nice resistance and damping.

Gaysan gasspring GF-30 (200N)

http://cgi.ebay.de/2-Gasdruckdaempfer-Stossdaempfer-Tuerdaempfer-KFZ-Auto-Neu_W0QQitemZ110229986620QQihZ001QQcategoryZ123077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow! This pedal is a really beauty. Great workmanship.

OK great That gives me some new ideas. and 1 less pot to use.

Thx for the nice comments.

• Like 1

I have gotten hold of a pair of Suspa 100N Gas Springs now. They have linear dampening, so I hope that if I do as you say the springs will cancel each other out without problems..?

Working on incorperating the pedals into the Front Pedestal assembly today, but I have set aside a couple of hours to flying LOFC online.. I miss my 'Frog'..!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have gotten hold of a pair of Suspa 100N Gas Springs now. They have linear dampening, so I hope that if I do as you say the springs will cancel each other out without problems..?

Damn that's fast.

It all depens on the spring rate. AFAIK gassprings usually have a very low spring rate which results in an almost constant force.

Pitbuilding Update Collective Stick and PCB making

Finally got some time to work on the Left Rear wall and Collective stick today.

I had to figure out how long the stick handle was going to be, and for that I had to first finish the Front Panel and attach it to the Front Pedestal. Then I could place the Left Lower Panel and Ejectionseat and the Left Rear Wall with collective Stick. Phuuh.!:music_whistling:

Naturally I got so carried away while doing this I forgot to take pictures of (half) the pit assembled, but I promise to do so within the next few days...

After finding the correct lengt for the collective handle I fixed the Collective switch box and just got started making the attachment for the collective break handle before bedtime arrived..

2054582277_ka-50collectivestick07.jpg.c32a536f61d74a99d78d8346bef8fb60.jpg

Collective Stick with the (un-finished) collective break handle. As you probaly can see from the pictures I have still got to file the ends round on the handle attaching plates.

991449764_ka-50collectivestick09.jpg.2ff2a3e7d83d3103b3582a94951bd4ef.jpg

The Collective Stick "business end".! Here you see the axel that it pivots arround in the Left Rear Wall, and the box that will hold the Rotor Governor Control Handles)

275598237_APUPanelPCBV1.jpg.6d81ace025d9270cc3da7d8ba7717026.jpg

My first self made PCB..! This is just a rough test board that will connect all the LED's for backlighting the APU Panel. And also all the wires from the switches and rotaries. But now that I know how easy it is to etch PCB's I'll design a new one that also holds the 4-way switch and it's mechanics. OooH..! I have forgotten to tell you all..! I found a way to make the 4-way switch that actually is simple, feels right and WORKS..! Was going to keep it a secret untill I cuold show you pics of a working example, but now the secret is out..! DAMN ME..!:cry:

1543022387_BreakoutBoard(3).jpg.f1f6deaee4924c1ebb0330d969b39589.jpg

I unsoldered some 39 pin IDE connectors from a broken computer mainboard I had. And after sweating and swearing over it for an hour or so, I finally found that the ONLY way to unsolder all 39 pins at once is with a industrial heat-gun (basicly a blow dryer on steroids).

You will most likely need quite a few of these if your building a pit. Just to avoid having to un-screw hundreds of individual connections to do simple repairs or upgrades in the future.! So my advice is: Get one of those heat-guns, or buy them from an electronics suplier..!

This board gathers all the wires from all switches, LED's, rotaries and so to a common place in the Left lower Panel. And I'll use standard IDE ribbon cable to route everything to the IOCards.

Also it holds the resistors for the different LED's and relays to toggle the Backlight on and off..

Well that's all for now folks.. :pilotfly:

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]