2.5.6 will not load with sound mods

Now the problem is to track and follow the sound mods that are split into saved games folder.

JSGME tracked it into the main DCS folder with names you gave them,

but nothing is tracking them into Saved Games folder and all the files from different mods are mixed up there...:mad:

If I understand you correctly, once the mod is placed in the correct saved games folder you don't need to touch it again even when you do an update...it won't get overwritten.

Now the problem is to track and follow the sound mods that are split into saved games folder.

JSGME tracked it into the main DCS folder with names you gave them,

but nothing is tracking them into Saved Games folder and all the files from different mods are mixed up there...:mad:

The way I'm getting around this is by having two OVGME profiles. One for the root install of DCS and one for the Save Game. Then you can split your sounds mods up into two parts. Everything that was going into \sounds now has to be in the Save game folder, the rest in the root as before.

You can them name the same, or part 1/part 2 whatever. Even reference the other part in the read me if you like.

I've found that the only sound related mod I can't get working is the Extended call signs. Its changes are completely ignored in the saved games folder. The database changes go to the root folder so those work fine and you can select a new call sign, but when on the radio it just doesn't say anything. Example, instead of "Viper 1 1 blah blah" you get "1 1 blah blah"

I'd love a solution to that as I got really used to the extra call signs.

The way I'm getting around this is by having two OVGME profiles. One for the root install of DCS and one for the Save Game. Then you can split your sounds mods up into two parts. Everything that was going into \sounds now has to be in the Save game folder, the rest in the root as before.

You can them name the same, or part 1/part 2 whatever. Even reference the other part in the read me if you like.

I've found that the only sound related mod I can't get working is the Extended call signs. Its changes are completely ignored in the saved games folder. The database changes go to the root folder so those work fine and you can select a new call sign, but when on the radio it just doesn't say anything. Example, instead of "Viper 1 1 blah blah" you get "1 1 blah blah"

I'd love a solution to that as I got really used to the extra call signs.

Why do you use OVGME for saved games folder files once placed?

If I understand you correctly, once the mod is placed in the correct saved games folder you don't need to touch it again even when you do an update...it won't get overwritten.

That's for the maintenance... should you update/replace or just want to remove a mod...

Nightstorm said he's using OVGME tool to sort it out which is a good solution,

but annoying to use another tool to control another path etc...

If ED supports the community our mods - they should make life easier for us and not the other way around...

i.e. concentrate all the mods in one place, saved games maybe,

and not split them into two places... :doh:

Cheers

Edited by ron533

Callsign   SETUP

The speech folder has been moved to /Scripts/Speech

Are you implying that I can create the ENG directory in there and use the folder to hold customized sounds? I have not tried, but I'm curious what others have found (regarding speech sound mods). This seems to be the only thing I cannot get to work using the Saved Games directory.

Just got around trying this. It works! Thanks, _mu110_!

Simply bring the ENG (or other language dirs) up a level. Get rid of the redundant Sound directory.

<DCS>/Scripts/Speech/_index.lua contains the directory structure.

Sound speech mods work again!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ok, what the actual F... ED?

Indeed. The sim doesn't seem to recognize the GER speech subdirectory anymore, and to communicate with your ground crew in American English instead of German as a WW2 Luftwaffe pilot is beyond stupid.

It also compels one to question why ED didn't record a German speech set for the 3rd Reich to begin with. I mean, you absolutely NEED this for the immersion, or might as well fly Allied A/C only.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

PS. It may also be that there's something wrong with my config setup, since my Saved Games DCS subdirectory is a symlink to a physical directory residing on another drive altogether. I need to check this as well. EDIT: Doesn't seem so. And I tried "NZG" for the directory name as well, doesn't work either.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• ED Team
The sim doesn't seem to recognize the GER speech subdirectory anymore

That's because Speech scripts use static folder index now.

Support for user-provided additional speech files is possible, but requires some rework of speech scripts.

Will add this as a feature request.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

That's because Speech scripts use static folder index now.

Support for user-provided additional speech files is possible, but requires some rework of speech scripts.

Will add this as a feature request.

Thank you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Sorry if this is obvious, but it sounds like if I wanted to use one of the 'British voice packs' mentioned in this thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180671&highlight=UK+voice&page=7

I'm currently out of luck?

I've had some time to get back into playing after a while and having a great time with the spitfire, was hoping to use one of these packs but can't seem to make it work in the usual (jsgme) way

Thanks

Seems that this thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263584&page=3

had the answer I was looking for, specifically the part of this post about ''speech related sound mods"

I integrated parts of his mods with others to make my own. They do work. Follow the comments in this thread and you should be good to go.

Basically, anything that used to go under <DCS World>\Sounds now needs to go under <DSC Saved Game>Sounds

The stuff that went under <DCS World>\COreMods or <DCS World>\Mods still can.

The only exception is for speech related sound mods. They have to go under a slightly modified path than before <DCS Saved Games>\Sounds\Speech\ENG for example. There used to be an extra SOUNDS folder that ENG went in. Now it just goes under Sounds\Speech.

So far everything I've tested works when placed this way.

• 1 month later...

Hi, please help!

I have my DCS installed in a different drive, D:\DCS World, and this does not work.....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 2 weeks later...
Why? What was the purpose of doing this? It renders VAICOM/Voice Attach incompatible. It prevents any modifications to any music or sound effects.

What was the advantage or purpose behind this UNDOCUMENTED change?

I for one rolled back to 2.5.5 b/c I don't want to fly w/o VAICOMM. And there are many great sound and or music mods out there that your customer base enjoy using.

Please revert this back to the 2.5.5 structure.

Thank you.

same here

I do not understand it neither :(:(:(

• 2 months later...

I imagine that it's highly unlikely an extractor for the EDC files will be created, and even if one were, it's purpose would be to decrypt what ED intentionally encrypted. As such, it wouldn't be sanctioned or condoned by ED.

In order to gain access to the unencrypted versions of the sounds and sdef files for aircraft including the F5 I would suggest installing a copy of the 2.5.5 OB which would require a roll back or separate install. The last version I know of that was not encrypted was 2.5.5.41962.

I kept a copy of that install prior to moving to 2.5.6 but I doubt ED would appreciate me uploading any files from it. You should be able to tell the "Revert DCS World OpenBeta" to go to that version.

"X:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update 2.5.5.41962@openbeta

Good luck.

This worked :)

Thanks.

I can't seem to find the directory that the F5 uses for in cockpit engine sounds though? Also can't figure out how to replace the cannon sound for the harrier. It sounds like "Plane Cannon" but it's a different file.

I imagine that it's highly unlikely an extractor for the EDC files will be created, and even if one were, it's purpose would be to decrypt what ED intentionally encrypted. As such, it wouldn't be sanctioned or condoned by ED.

In order to gain access to the unencrypted versions of the sounds and sdef files for aircraft including the F5 I would suggest installing a copy of the 2.5.5 OB which would require a roll back or separate install. The last version I know of that was not encrypted was 2.5.5.41962.

I kept a copy of that install prior to moving to 2.5.6 but I doubt ED would appreciate me uploading any files from it. You should be able to tell the "Revert DCS World OpenBeta" to go to that version.

"X:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update 2.5.5.41962@openbeta

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

In the meantime I have successfully changed the sounds of my A-10C copying the sounds of an old installation to:

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds

I did the same for the F-18, but in spite of trying several different folder structures such as:

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\resource\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds.edc

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\resource\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds

C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds

For the F-18 it does not work...

What am I doing wrong? Why is this working for the A-10 and not for the F-18?

Can somebody point me out please?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals