I upgraded from TFRP Rudders to MFG Crossing rudder. Wow.

Edit: phone autocorrected the title. Thanks phone! *crosswind rudder

I just received my mfg crosswind pedals and assembled them and did some flying in the huey, f18, and f14. I'm blown away at the increase in quality.

I really cannot stand the tfrp pedals. I truly mean no disrespect to thrustmaster as they have a number of very good products. For example, the t16000m and Twcs throttle hotas, which I currently use, are of fantastic quality for a relatively inexpensive price. Their warthog hotas, as well as the f18 and f16 sticks, are all widely enjoyed I think. However, every company has its faults, and the tfrp pedals are just junk. They are too light, the bottom basically hollow with very little surface meeting the floor, feet placed too close together, and the primary problem being the pedal travel isn't smooth or precise at all which includes a horrible centering friction that in order to overcome will cause you to over-yaw basically every time. Good riddance.

Now to the good pedals. I was shocked at how smooth the mfg crosswind pedals are. It's like gliding through heaven. Flying the huey I realized how used I was to over-yawing to one side and then having to correct due to previous pedals, so used to it that it didn't make sense in my brain and muscle memory that I could keep the huey so precisely under control. It felt like an arcade game all of a sudden. Likewise, taxiing in the jets was much much more pleasurable. These pedals are absolutely worth the price of admission.

But let me critique a couple things about these awesome crosswind pedals. First, out of the box the first and immediate thing that got to me were the toe brakes. They're way way way too heavy. The weight of spring used for these toe brakes is excessive and makes using the brakes horribly uncomfortable. The weight of the brake is slightly adjustable using a very cumbersome method that can sort of mess up your pedals if you do it incorrectly. You absolutely need to watch the manufacturer video on adjusting the toe brakes. They ship at the second lightest setting, so I didn't bother adjusting because it just seems pointless. A lot of work for very little change in weight. I end up shifting in my seat to put enough pressure on these brakes. It's silly.

Secondly the pads on the bottom of the pedals do nothing to stop the pedals from moving, but I dont mind that much. The pads prevent my hardwood floor from being scratched. I used Velcro to attach my pedals to the floor anyways. No movement.

Third and final criticism is with the tension of the last 25% of travel path. Now, the tension spring adjustment is great and easy to use. And like I said before the travel of the pedals is smooth as silk. Just, mmm. Butter. But thats only for 0-75% travel in either direction. The last 25% requires too much force as you're really pulling on that spring. Maybe I have it set up incorrectly but it seems problematic.

Wrapping up, these pedals are absolutely worth the price and I am blown away at the quality. I prefer flying helicopters so getting my feet on these crosswinds has been like being treated to fine dining for the first time ever. Spoiled, shocked, grateful. I'm a happy customer so far and I think you would be too if you got them.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I had to rotate my pedals at a higher angle so that it would be easier to press down on the brakes. And because I'm on a hardwood floor too far away from the wall, I mounted it on a piece of scrap lumber. I too am glad I purchased them. As you mentioned, for rotary aircraft, a good rudder is mandatory!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my mfg crosswind pedals and assembled them and did some flying in the huey, f18, and f14. I'm blown away at the increase in quality.

I really cannot stand the tfrp pedals. I truly mean no disrespect to thrustmaster as they have a number of very good products. For example, the t16000m and Twcs throttle hotas, which I currently use, are of fantastic quality for a relatively inexpensive price. Their warthog hotas, as well as the f18 and f16 sticks, are all widely enjoyed I think. However, every company has its faults, and the tfrp pedals are just junk. They are too light, the bottom basically hollow with very little surface meeting the floor, feet placed too close together, and the primary problem being the pedal travel isn't smooth or precise at all which includes a horrible centering friction that in order to overcome will cause you to over-yaw basically every time. Good riddance.

Now to the good pedals. I was shocked at how smooth the mfg crosswind pedals are. It's like gliding through heaven. Flying the huey I realized how used I was to over-yawing to one side and then having to correct due to previous pedals, so used to it that it didn't make sense in my brain and muscle memory that I could keep the huey so precisely under control. It felt like an arcade game all of a sudden. Likewise, taxiing in the jets was much much more pleasurable. These pedals are absolutely worth the price of admission.

But let me critique a couple things about these awesome crosswind pedals. First, out of the box the first and immediate thing that got to me were the toe brakes. They're way way way too heavy. The weight of spring used for these toe brakes is excessive and makes using the brakes horribly uncomfortable. The weight of the brake is slightly adjustable using a very cumbersome method that can sort of mess up your pedals if you do it incorrectly. You absolutely need to watch the manufacturer video on adjusting the toe brakes. They ship at the second lightest setting, so I didn't bother adjusting because it just seems pointless. A lot of work for very little change in weight. I end up shifting in my seat to put enough pressure on these brakes. It's silly.

Secondly the pads on the bottom of the pedals do nothing to stop the pedals from moving, but I dont mind that much. The pads prevent my hardwood floor from being scratched. I used Velcro to attach my pedals to the floor anyways. No movement.

Third and final criticism is with the tension of the last 25% of travel path. Now, the tension spring adjustment is great and easy to use. And like I said before the travel of the pedals is smooth as silk. Just, mmm. Butter. But thats only for 0-75% travel in either direction. The last 25% requires too much force as you're really pulling on that spring. Maybe I have it set up incorrectly but it seems problematic.

Wrapping up, these pedals are absolutely worth the price and I am blown away at the quality. I prefer flying helicopters so getting my feet on these crosswinds has been like being treated to fine dining for the first time ever. Spoiled, shocked, grateful. I'm a happy customer so far and I think you would be too if you got them.

I switched to the loosest option for toe brakes and the tension is perfect and Im 77kg. To change the tesnion you dont need to be a master carpenter. I fixed pedals to the wall moldings, an wasy fix so they dont move upr or down (fitted them agaisnt the wall also). BTW they have holes since a pro simmer would fix them anyways to some pit housing or simple flat wooden board. Tension of the board can be adjusted in many ways. First, you have a rocker switch in front. Then you have two postitions where the spring can "sit" (on the other side). Also there is a softer spring in the MFG store. everything is adjustable with MFGs and they are wide and comfortabel and super precise (I tested in the joy tester and in the MFG config software). The pedals are superb. Enjoy.

Thoughtful and helpful post !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If you are really into choppers, I can only highly recommend this non destructive mod using a $30 hydraulic damper. This will give a much closer to real life feeling on a chopper with increased accuracy and without having to deal with the self centering that is really here for fixed wing aircraft.

Of course, if you are also flying fixed wing (nobody's perfect lol) this might not appeal to you as much. :pilotfly:

If you are really into choppers, I can only highly recommend this non destructive mod using a $30 hydraulic damper.

Wuao! how do i install this damper?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

If you are really into choppers, I can only highly recommend this non destructive mod using a $30 hydraulic damper. This will give a much closer to real life feeling on a chopper with increased accuracy and without having to deal with the self centering that is really here for fixed wing aircraft.

Of course, if you are also flying fixed wing (nobody's perfect lol) this might not appeal to you as much. :pilotfly:

And here I just unhook the spring.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

@aviators: really easy. You don t even need to drill anything as the hole to fix the damper in the base is already there. Beside the damper, a couple of screws and bolts. 5 minutes job. The video should explain that.

@Bushman : That would be a pretty poor idea. All the moving parts in the crosswind are mounted on ball bearings and once the spring is removed, the friction is extremely low. This will result in a very low rudder accuracy during the flight. Rudder movements that are too quick or too brisk for a chopper is a potential for disaster.

I just unboxed my set. Impressed with the quality of the build.

I’m still contemplating how I want to build my pit, still sitting on the floor “crotching” my stick.

I am wondering if I will need to add a wedge to bring the plane of the foot pedals up out of the horizontal. They seem a bit flat unless flying from a desk position.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Ha!

I just did this too. Holy cow what a difference!

The only problem I had was I didn't plug in the "X" axis all the way at first, and once I "solved" that issue it was off to the races. Very impressed with the "feel" of the pedals and absolutely amazed with the level of precision I now have (no curves even). Now the only other issue I need to solve is how to best "fix" them to the floor (carpet), I'm thinking velcro might work.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have ended up putting a Really Useful Box between the pedals and my wall - it has a groove at just the right height for the pedal wall spacers to sit in

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Buy the extra heavy duty velco tape, and the hook aide should grip decent carpet extremely well.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I just unboxed my set. Impressed with the quality of the build.

I’m still contemplating how I want to build my pit, still sitting on the floor “crotching” my stick.

I am wondering if I will need to add a wedge to bring the plane of the foot pedals up out of the horizontal. They seem a bit flat unless flying from a desk position.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks

Each of single pedal units are adjustable and can be rotated and fixed in more vertical position. But since I'm replying to a week-old post, I'm sure you've figured it out yourself :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Each of single pedal units are adjustable and can be rotated and fixed in more vertical position. But since I'm replying to a week-old post, I'm sure you've figured it out yourself :D.

Edit,

Ignore everything but the thanks, I just figured it out!!

Actually you’re timing couldn’t be more perfect! I am just scratching my head on that very thing. Is there any literature or video on that?

I haven’t delved into the hands on but have been mentally trying to figure a solution. Was thinking about machining wedges but if I can simply rotate!!

Thanks and let me know.

Regards

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Odd - I just had a look at the new website, he used to have some good videos posted on each aspect of the rudder pedals on the old site but I do not see them anywhere on the new site unless I am overlooking them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How do these Crosswind pedals compare to the TM TPR pedals?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I just got into DCS and got the TFRP pedals since they were available fast so I could get going when my VR and TM HOTAS came in. Yes they are pretty terrible. I seriously can not get any feel for them and taxing is always either not enough or fast and furious Tokyo Drifting then...broken wing, on fire, bail out bail out!.

I am wondering which pedals to go with. These look nice or the TM TPR's look good to.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

File this under the category of stuff that shouldn't matter but still somehow does: I really like the design aesthetics of my MFG Crosswinds. I wouldn't care about that if they weren't also excellent to use (including ease of adjustability), but since they check all of the actually important boxes... they just look damn good under the desk. I appreciate them as a well-designed piece of machinery, and more so for having been developed by an individual, not a large corporation.

I just ordered my set last night. Can't wait to ditch the TFRP's.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

How do these Crosswind pedals compare to the TM TPR pedals?

Personally, I prefer the TPR pedals over the Crosswinds. However, they are more expensive than the Crosswinds and also in limited supply. Currently unavailable at Amazon. Assuming this is because of the coronovirus oubreak.

I got my set in on Thursday. I ordered the previous Friday and they shipped Monday. Not too bad getting from Croatia to New Mexico in 4 days! Modern shipping is something to behold.

Anyways, I too replaced TFRP pedals and what an upgrade!

I did have one problem during set-up.

My windows would not recognize the pedals at all. Tried a different USB cable, everything. Nothing worked. They were plugged into a 7 port powered USB hub and while fiddling around I unplugged the power connector on the hub and I heard the “windows usb inserted” sound. Looked and sure enough there they were.

Plugged the power back in, they went away.

Very curious. Nothing else was effected so I left the hub unplugged.

Anyone have an idea why the powered part of the hub would effect only the pedals?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my crosswinds several days ago and they are nice for sure. I am still trying to figure out the best tuning for them though but I can tell on the ground I have more fine control taxing around and then keeping it on center line during take off. The TFRP's were not as nice and I was all over the place. The build quality of the MFG's are damn nice as well. They feel high quality and they seem like they are pretty tough. I was amazed I got them delivered in 4 days to California from Croatia during all this madness in the world. I also ordered a new Green HOTAS stick spring from Sahaj at the same time as the pedals and the spring is still not here after 9 days. Not sure if it is just USPS and their incompetence.

you guys are lucky.

i had to wait 4 months for mine a few years ago :)

and im next door in the UK.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.