Where is the space bar in the VR Hornet?

Tregarth

I am trying to use the Hornet start up tutorial with the Oculus Rift S VR headset. There is the opening instruction about starting the Hornet followed by "Press the Spacebar when ready".

But I can't see the key board because I am wearing a VR headset.

Similarly in the introductory flight tutorial I cannot un-pause the plane from the start screen. I have worked out how to move the stick but the plane is paused.

How can I fly the Hornet in VR, please?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Didn't dare to ask that particular question... I still use a full set of keystrokes even with the HMD on. Takes a tad longer to get the right key before pressing it, but it's still a lot faster than either grabbing the mouse, searching the cross and manipulating things or doing the stuff with the still very bugged touch controllers.

Make sure you've got a decent keyboard layout, with a separate numpad, separate cursor block and a separate 6 keys block above that. Also 4 key groups of F keys. Literally almost all modern keyboards don't comply to that anymore, especially all those laptop-like compressed things that try to conquer the market. And don't forget you can feel the F and J keys as well as the numpad 5 one.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thank you for the speedy reply. I am embarrassed to say I can't find the trigger.

In a video it clearly shows the trigger is on the front of the stick. Not on mine.

I have squeezed every inch of the stick using all the buttons on the 2 hand controllers and still nothing happens.

I have tried to look all over the stick for the trigger but I can't see one.

Tregarth

Its like any other muscle memory, takes time to learn to use the Keyboard without seeing it. I also use a Razer Naga Trinity mouse, which gives me MANY soft mapped buttons on the mouse (configurable by game). https://www.pcworld.com/article/3302041/razer-naga-trinity-review.html I map the 12x Function keys to the side keypad, and the spacebar to the Mouse 3 (scroll wheel press button. Zoom in/out to the scroll wheel. Much easier to muscle memory than the keyboard (the cat is usually sat on the keyboard anyway).

Thank you all for your replies which are disappointing.

Yes, I can easily find the spacebar. But if I do that I am not using Virtual Reality. To me VR means not touching the keyboard once the sim has started.

It seems to be the same as buying an car with an automatic gearbox and then using a gear shift to change gear. If you have to use the keyboard then why use VR? Head tracking is just as good and considerably cheaper.

I am seriously thinking about asking for my money back as this is not what I expected when I bought the sim. Nor is it what was advertised when it claimed to be "VR compatible".

Thank you.

Edited by Tregarth

Thank you for the speedy reply. I am embarrassed to say I can't find the trigger.

In a video it clearly shows the trigger is on the front of the stick. Not on mine.

I have squeezed every inch of the stick using all the buttons on the 2 hand controllers and still nothing happens.

Tregarth

On this part: Don't ask for you money back, but buy a proper Hotas... seems to me like you are playing even without a stick...

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

On this part: Don't ask for you money back, but buy a proper Hotas... seems to me like you are playing even without a stick...

But that woudn't be VR apparently.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

But that woudn't be VR apparently.

I only use track ir, but guys I know play with their VR goggles and a proper Hotas... or do you guys play DCS without a Hotas?

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

Well, it is a realistic flight sim and the Hornet is a study lvl aircraft. It needs dozens of commands to operate it properly and you can´t expect VR to work perfectly while only using a stick/HOTAS, especially with one that has not a trigger(wich one?). Unless you have a fully functional home cockpit (or capto gloves), you will need to use mouse/keyboard/VR controllers additionally to the stick in certain situations. And if your stick does not have a trigger, you will need to use the space bar/keyboard everytime you fire a weapon. Or map space bar to a different button on your stick. This is just natural for a game like DCS.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

VR is only the dual display synched with head tracking. It has nothing to do with keyboard or other controllers.

Are training missions VR or non-default-binding friendly? No.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team

Hi all

The team is working on better VR implementation at the moment for VR controllers, and I will mention the space bar point raised in this thread.

I know most of us have HOTAS, or can reach the keyboard with muscle memory, or use voice activation with the various tools out there.

For new comers it can be a little overwhelming with so many buttons and switches to push, which will be difficult if you are only using VR controllers.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm slightly curious... how is the mouse OK but the keyboard not? Sure you can bind things but even a Hotas has a limit, especially when typing chat, passwords, tbh, coords are easier, some of the keyboard macros for mods. I think a keyboard spacebar is the least of your worries when learning how to fly a jet from this millenium.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

You can't find the spacebar by touch in VR?

Really?

My thoughts exactly. Apart from ESC, it has to be the easiest key to find.

He'll, you could just randomly stab your keyboard with your finger and still have a greater chance of hitting spacebar than any other given key...on account of its small size and all, lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Following your replies, I quote from the DCS F-18 blurb

"Interact with the cockpit by pressing buttons and moving switches. You will feel like part of the aircraft with our Advanced Systems Modeling (ASM)."

"Virtual Reality support. Take advantage of the latest VR technologies to immerse yourself in the simulation."

No mention there of having to use the keyboard or spend a fortune on a HOTAS.

For info: Oculus Rift S UKP 400, DelanClip (head tracking) UKP 40. But the end effect would seem to be the same. I think I have been seriously misled / ripped off. Granted some things are probably easier using a keyboard, but using the spacebar to move on from each stage of the introductory lesson? Having spent UKP 400?

I use VAC and just say "spacebar". Works Great

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Sounds all good to me - pressing buttons and moving switches is done with the mouse, and taking advantage of the latest VR stuff means you get to enjoy the 3D environment in VR.

ASM here means that rather than remembering keyboard shortcuts or mapping those to your HOTAS (which most of all of us have anyway), you get to click the same button/switch/dial as the real pilot would manipuate in the real cockpit.

Nothing misleading here.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Maybe more highlighted points in the requirements on the DCS website? Steam certainly does. In a kindda warning colour. Like attached? Still, it's something I'd have checked for VR. Because VR is still supported, the software works with VR and has specific options to it for controlling. As for enabling the use of special keys, I'm sure that might be possible but to what extent? Pause button, escape button, press next message button, chat buttons, look at the keyboard mappings - a keyboard is unavoidable unless you want to try talking to your PC.

Steam.png.c4f61894c31e738f22fd6936aa709e84.png

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Tregarth

you have a physical real world joystick without a trigger button? or are you trying to manipulate the stick in VR with the controllers?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I only use track ir, but guys I know play with their VR goggles and a proper Hotas... or do you guys play DCS without a Hotas?

I play DCS in VR with a HOTAS. The HOTAS is good for most functions, and the rest I access using the mouse and clicking the buttons in the virtual pit. When I have to press the spacebar to advance through a training mission, I just press the spacebar (its only the biggest key on the keyboard). :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: