Aim-120 Range

briosky2

1 hour ago, Mitchos said:

Does anybody know where/how to get numbers within DCS of A/A missiles? Mostly Aim-120 (and other F3s if possible)

I'm looking for MAR or Tail WEZ... I didn't find it neither on the forum, nor in DCS docs folders...

These values are dynamic and hugely dependant on (a) the speed and altitude of the launch aircraft and (b) the aspect and closure rate of the target. There are no fixed values for these.

I totally do agree with your statement but we might have some default values depending on altitude block.

Regarding a flight I made a few days ago I can aassume a tail WEZ Aim-120b block 2, 0.8M, is approx. 9 Nm. So I can estimate Mar etc...

Thanks anyway for answering

Edited by Mitchos

Pretty sure the DLZs you have in the Viper are just placeholders. Not sure about the Hornet, but to be honest I expect the same. DLZs in DCS overall have been borderline worthless since the dawn of time.

In comparison to what you have in the Viper I'd say the FC3 Eagle had better DLZ (prior to 2.5.6 AMRAAM rework) and even that had more than +-20% margin of error on Rtr. Which has probably more to do with the methodology behind estimating NEZ, but the problem is all the same regardless of the root cause. The only way to have good estimates of your pK is to study it yourself and build your own methods.

A good pilot should be able to do 2 very important things:

1. assess expected pK based on initial shot conditions and post launch maneuvers, even if you take away DLZ completely.

2. judge which tactics are valid to employ based on initial shot parameters.

If you cannot do these things you're just flying blind.

Edited by 104th_Blaze
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:12 AM, Mitchos said:

I totally do agree with your statement but we might have some default values depending on altitude block.

Regarding a flight I made a few days ago I can aassume a tail WEZ Aim-120b block 2, 0.8M, is approx. 9 Nm. So I can estimate Mar etc...

Thanks anyway for answering

For Stern WEZ you're best off going into an SP mission and shooting your missile while flying at about Mach 1 or so, holding that speed and firing.

Then once the missile stalls out and hits the ground (Or goes below mach 1.2~1.5 or something) you can look in tacview to gauge how far the missile went from your plane until it stopped accelerating away.

For MAR you might wanna turn on the labels and external views and set the AI up to replicate normal shot parameters like 25k ft co alt co speed Mach 1.3 launches or w/e on you and you see how much cranking and diving and what else you need to do to stay alive at some point you'll find it.

Quickest way would be to look at every tacview flying on public servers, heck don't fly if you dont feel comfortable yet, just sit and let it record and watch how factors like high to low and low to high influence missile kinematic range if you're shy or something

On 2/17/2021 at 12:44 AM, Mitchos said:

Hi.

Does anybody know where/how to get numbers within DCS of A/A missiles? Mostly Aim-120 (and other F3s if possible)

I'm looking for MAR or Tail WEZ... I didn't find it neither on the forum, nor in DCS docs folders...

Thanks for helping me

Made a doc a while ago from some tests ive done:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1In3JaNj17IRoTlVFrM3AWy7JLO2OEMcZ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

12 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Thank you. This is exactly what I was expecting in DCS doc files.

You made the job and this is looking great.

I will try fighting with this 😏

For my knowledge just one question, do you remember when you did assess all those numbers?

Edited by Mitchos

13 hours ago, Mitchos said:

For my knowledge just one question, do you remember when you did assess all those numbers?

After all of the major missile changes for each missile (e.g, AMRAAM data is post the major AMRAAM changes, same with R-27).  Sparrow/Sidewinder data is older as not much as heppened to them in a while.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg