A-10 knobs

Thick8

Is there a repository of STL or fusion360 knob files anywhere for the A-10c? I want to print out a few for a mini panel that I can use in VR. I found a whole catalog of knobs in Solidworks, but I don't have Solidworks. Primarily the radios, laser codes, and some other things that I use on the fly.

Thanks.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Guys, unfortunately (at least from my experience) fusion360 gave me problems when trying to convert .sldprt files. Certainly any assembly failed miserably, and even part files ended up with weird errors. In the end, despite having to keep an old pc running XP just to run Solidworks (mines the 2008 version), I gave up on fusion 360 as it simply didn’t work for me.

Solidworks is by no means perfect, but for certain things it is just so simple to use, and converting a part file to an .stl file is as simple as clicking on 'save as'. None of the files I have ever created have been corrupted and my Lulzbot mini has printed them with no problem.

Nonetheless, I acknowledge that there are some very competent guys on this forum who can probably make it work, but I am still happy to convert any files and post them here if that helps anyone.

Cheers

Les

I was lucky, I was given an older version by a guy who was upgrading to a newer version compatible with Windows 7 (at the time) so that he could use the i-series intel CPU based PC's with their vastly more powerful processing power. For an old engineer like me, Solidworks is so easy to use, it sort of fits with the way I think.

Fusion 360 is on my pc, but to this day I have been unable to make one usable part on it. The problem is that I simply can't get my head around the (in my opinion) vastly over complicated assembly concepts, so whatever I design stays as a single part that cannot be checked in an assembly. The online tutorials are done by people who know how to use it but generally are not any good at explaining why things are done, so the concepts and philosophies of asemblies remain a mystery.

On the other hand I can very quickly design a very complicated assembly in Solidworks, and now i am proficient with Qcad and CAMBAM, I can go from concept to actual physical part in what for me is an astonishingly short time. Of course, Solidworks has some very annoying and stupid issues you have to be wary of, and one of these is the need to use XP and so limit the power of the PC on which it runs. But by and large I'm able to work round these issues.

I truly would like to be able to use Fusion360, as it's clearly capable of so much. But until someone can sit with me to go through those various parts that completely defy me, it will remain a hard drive filler, albeit a free one

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

I'm in the process of learning Fusion 360. It's similar to Autodesk Inventor that I used briefly back in the 90's(?). There's a learning curve but they have excellent tutorials.

It seems that conversion is done in the cloud and I have not been able to get that to work. There is a popup stating that I will receive an email when the conversion is complete but I have yet to receive that email. I've tried several times with different files.

If one of you could convert all of them to STL files or something else (DXF, DWG, etc.) then I can change shaft configurations and make push on caps for toggles and such.

EDIT: My mistake, I've been using Grabcad for my conversion attempts not Fusion360. It's getting a little confusing at this point... Fusion360 will convert models I've drawn; but it is done in the cloud as well and takes a long time to convert.

Knobs.zip

Buttons.zip

Light1.zip

Light3.zip

Rotary.zip

SpeedBrake.zip

ToggleSwitches.zip

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Anyone have any luck converting these?

For me to do it, you will have to wait until after the 24th, as I won't have access to my Solidworks PC until then. Once I'm in front of it, half an hour will do and I can get them done, but I have no way to do it before then, sorry about that.

Cheers

Les

I can convert them although it will take me some time. Do you want them in STL or would you prefer STEP so that you can easily import them into Fusion 360 to edit them? STL makes it slightly harder to edit in my opinion. :music_whistling:

Step would be best. That way I can mate them with the switch shafts that I have. Thank you.

It will be cool having a knob selection we can all use. I’m working on a china hat now. Still going through the Fusion360 tutorial and building at the same time. This may take a while :megalol:

EDIT: WOW, this is great. Gonna print one in the morning just because, THANKS!

Edited by Thick8

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get a chance to convert the rest of those files?

I took a crash course in Fusion360 and can now edit stl files. Next step is to create my own stuff. I've wanted a gear handle mounted to my Warthog throttle for a while now; so I think that will be my first self designed printed component.

I did, but I didn't post them because:

1. I forgot. :noexpression:

2. I think most of them would be fairly difficult to print with FDM.

Let me find where I put them and I will upload them. Is there a specific file you want converted? The toggles and speed brake indicator will be tough to print.

-Q

Edited by youngque

I did, but I didn't post them because:

1. I forgot. :noexpression:

2. I think most of them would be fairly difficult to print with FDM.

Let me find where I put them and I will upload them. Is there a specific file you want converted? The toggles and speed brake indicator will be tough to print.

-Q

There are bits and pieces of nearly all the files that are useful for editing. If you've already done the conversion it shouldn't be a problem to just upload them. I don't need the assemblies, just the parts. Others here may find all of the files useful.

Thanks.

You da man! Thank you much. I will be making caps out of the toggles and landing lights first. They will slip onto standard size switches. I bought some silver SLA just for them. I'll upload some pics as I get them printed.