How to spot infantry??

Wali763

Hi.

My forumsearch did give me nothing, so sorry for the maybe obvious "noob" question:

Im flying the first Caucasus A-10C-mission, called "CSAR" and am not able to finish it.

It seems, the recue-helis always get shot down by infantry.

I was able to kill some of them with a CBU, but that was luck, since I did not exactly know, where they were.

I tried to spot them with the TGP using infrared, but that did not help since single troups have only little IR-signature, especiall in the forest.

Can anyone give me a hint, how to find/spot them?

I dont want to turn on lables.

Thx

Hi.

My forumsearch did give me nothing, so sorry for the maybe obvious "noob" question:

Im flying the first Caucasus A-10C-mission, called "CSAR" and am not able to finish it.

I was able to kill some of them with a CBU, but that was luck, since I did not exactly know, where they were.

I tried to spot them with the TGP using infrared, but that did not help since single troups have only little IR-signature, especiall in the forest.

Thx

Are you given any coordinates to strike?

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

If they are in the forrest, then it's almost impossible. If you see tracers, go in for guns, other weapons don't penetrate trees in DCS.

If they are in the open, go with TGP or go low and use maximum zoom to spot the little black dots that stand out rather cearly.

Hi and thx for the input.

I got no coordinates.

But I turned on labels to try some things.

First thing: its impossible to spot infantry in the forest with a TGP. Out in the open, its ok, but in the forest I dont have a chance.

Second thing: the mission seems to be bugged anyway. I clear all enemies around the target (shot down pilot) including AAA-site in the vicinity and call in the helicopters. They report to have picked up the pilot but then hover around the pick-up-area and after some time crash without enemy-interaction. I put my A-10C on AP and watched in F2-mode.

In the report aferwards, there is no mention that one of the two helicoters get hit only one line "pilot dead" second line "crash"

Edited by Wali763

I dont know that exact mission, but in a similar csar mission in the maple flags campaign, there was a trigger to auto-kill the helos if you let the helo arrive before completing radio comms validation of the pilot. I watched the tac view and realized the infantry getting the kill just appear out of nowhere. Try making sure you are responding to radio calls and following any instructions from the briefing.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Before the latest version of the Caucuses map, the enemy infantry used to advance on the downed pilot across an open meadow. That area is now covered in trees. IMO, that canned mission needs an overhaul.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Hi.

Thx

For this mission, I employed multiple CBU-97s on the target area (trees) to eliminate all the soldiers/troops that were in cover. Not the best solution, but certainly the most effective. I change my weapon load out for most of the preset missions, as they are rarely equipped correctly, in my opinion. Give that a try, should be good to go.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

First thing: its impossible to spot infantry in the forest with a TGP. Out in the open, its ok, but in the forest I dont have a chance.

Welcome to realism! Infantry feels at home in forests as they give them great cover and camouflage. It can be pretty difficult to find infantry in a forest even if you're just standing a few meters away! It's much harder from the air a couple of hundred or thousand feet away and moving fast!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 9 months later...
the mission is bugged, the helos blow up because they try to land on trees

Seems that ED may have updated there A-10c single mission set (Most likely multilanguage) and have reverted to old broken missions in 2.5.6 Openbeta, where as in the Testers nightly version they are still my fixed versions they introduced some time back.

If you want working copies feel free to download replacements from the DCS User files Section.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

the mission is bugged, the helos blow up because they try to land on trees

Seems that ED may have updated there A-10c single mission set (Most likely multilanguage) and have reverted to old broken missions in 2.5.6 Openbeta, where as in the Testers nightly version they are still my fixed versions they introduced some time back.

If you want working copies feel free to download replacements from the DCS User files Section.

Regards, Ian.

hi, thks for the clarifications, any hope we can get this fixed in the future?!?