A2A Tacan with wingmen.

Swordfish

Remember it won't tell you where your wingman is, just how far away he is. You won't receive any heading information.

Also try avoiding frequencies that will interfere with other tacans. Most ground bases and ships are on X band. Much more reliable to use the Y band and start at 20. So 20/83 etc.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Edited by TomCatGoad

1st off, make sure all (yours + your wingman/men) your tacan units are running, and are set to A/A mode.

2nd, choose a channel for lead aircraft. Anything will do, as long as it's not the same as a tanker's (or some other aircraft) tacan. People usually do 1X, which is fine for small PVE, but if you're planning on flying on big MP servers, i reccomend choosing something else. Both friendlies outside your flight and hostiles can tune into and guide towards your tacan signal.

3rd, tell people you want to have tacan contact with to set their tacan to the channel you've selected + 63, so if you picked 1X, they'd choose 1+63=64 and carry the X for 64X

You should now be able to see the ranges to eachother

Not bearings tho. You'll have to play hot-cold to find eachother if you really get lost :pilotfly:

Note. If multiple aircraft are tuned into same tacan channel (say, lead 1X, flight 64X) the lead will have a range to the strongest signal, which is usually the closest aircraft

RedKite has a really good, high production video on this subject

If what i told you doesnt work, my memory has failed me, and you should check out this vid

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

Have had some issues lately, with Wingman getting 'timber sweet', and a good range readout to Lead, but lead get NO readouts. Anyone experience that? And yes, I switched from DEST to TCN, and yes I had the correct channel set, as well as having 'pilot' selected.

As soon as I switched to the tanker tacan I got a range readout.

Had this a couple of times now. Anyone else?