Eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World

phant

22 hours ago, wilbur81 said:

Merry Christmas to you, too! 🙂 And yes, I'll take a completed dynamic campaign and weather system (or only one of either) over a new beta-module aircraft. We have plenty of amazing aircraft in DCS. I really have very little interest in this new aircraft announcement at the moment. It is now time to finish what they have and shore up the game aspects. I think that's what they're focusing on... which is why we're not hearing much about this "anticipated new aircraft."  They are doing a good job, slowing hammering away at the Hornet and Viper. Stick with it, ED!

I guess new modules generate revenue, and weather system doesnt.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:17 PM, Peq said:

Apache is a legend. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I couldn't care less about helicopters.

As Mbot said, it's been hinted, but never announced. 

I like the F-111, but it's not a best seller like the Viper is or the Apache or Mudhen would be IMHO.

F-4 is definitely a better choice than F-111.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:50 PM, MBot said:

Remind me again why everyone is discounting the Apache? Because it is supposedly already announced? Please show me a link to the newsletter where the Apache is officially announced as a module. A "not if, when" in some interview is not a module announcement,  it is/was simply the stance of ED on a number of aircraft since the beginning of DCS.

Well, ED literally already brought out screenshots over a decade ago. That in combination with those whennotif statements are actual announcement enough for me.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:17 PM, Fri13 said:

The word "later this year" has turn to be "in the end of this year".

Well, just remember "The Winter will be in the Claw of the Cat" - the thing literally was released one week before it was Spring. When a company sais "this year", expect the next one. By the end of that. Doesn't get you disappointed in the end rdlaugh.png

On 12/9/2020 at 1:32 PM, Gierasimov said:

So, in another forum, in unrelated thread, a very well known person posted this answer:

image.png

Well, I was kinda expecting the announcement to be in the newsletters, the last one before Christmas and ED hopefully being in their well-deserved holidays will be this Friday. Either that or as you mentioned, in the "and beyond" video fsgrin.png

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 12/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, sparrow88 said:

I guess new modules generate revenue, and weather system doesnt.

I disagree.

If we look around the history of flight simulators, the graphics has always been even more important than even the flight physics if looking how people get divided by enthiusiasm in various new features.

Like one major feature in the DCS 2.0 Alpha was the EDGE, and when DCS 1.5 Beta got out with Caucasus remade it was a big deal.

Comparing DCS World to other simulators, there has always been a goal to balance the graphics and performance to fly, and while many has been very happy for ultra simple flight modeling in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (only one lift vector for whole aircraft) it was not enough to push people to X-Plane until the graphics limitations, prices etc started to make it worse choice than X-Plane offered.

The reason why MSFS20 got such a hype everywhere was about graphics, the cloud layers, the formations, realtime weather system and most importantly, the Here maps data that Microsoft got from Nokia (and it from the NavTeq) and they have utilizing that from decade work to map the world (like Google etc).

But majority of people put a side of lots of MSFS20 physics and such, maybe mostly praising just the realtime assistance for startups and binding options etc. But graphics is the main selling point!

We can already see that DCS World offers amazing graphics. Cloud layers are limited to few (the clouds itself and then the couple upper layers) and wind system is simple and the dynamic system is simple and the rain, mist etc are all simple. - by todays standards or visual graphics that even FPS games can offer.

But that doesn't make DCS World look bad, unless mission designer wants to make it look bad.

And now when ED is getting the new weather system, new clouds and all, we have possibility to get something major visual upgrades that a lot of people care a lot!

That is as well why I think that ED should support more of a unarmed aircrafts in DCS World to attract a civilian flying enthusiuasts. Sure we can't have a Boeing 747, but a Yak-52 is great example (if ED would just finish it) and similar things could be done like C-2 Greyhound / E-2 Hawkeye. There is great potential to make a small military cargo aircrafts and transport aircrafts, training aircrafts etc.

Something that would draw people interested to fly a Cesna 172 and then jump to L-39 or C-101 as Jet aircrafts etc.

But when graphics matters for those people, they want pretty grounds as well.

But as DCS World itself doesn't gather directly profit from new weather engine and graphics etc. It is the delivery path for it as people buy the modules and ED gets a cut from that even if a third party module is in the question.

And combat aviation is challenged by the weather conditions. And if we can not have challenging flight conditions, huge part of it is lost. There are always those who want to fly without clouds, in mid-day lighting etc to do air quake. But there are likely more those that want to have challenge of spotting, to means to visually hide, to challenge themselves in combat procedures in bad or limiting weather etc.  Like look alone the Case I vs Case III recovery trainings people want to do for Hornet and SuperCarrier.

After shortwhile lobbing a cruise missile to 150 nmi distance gets ultra boring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

2 hours ago, Eldur said:

Well, ED literally already brought out screenshots over a decade ago. That in combination with those whennotif statements are actual announcement enough for me.

Well, just remember "The Winter will be in the Claw of the Cat" - the thing literally was released one week before it was Spring. When a company sais "this year", expect the next one. By the end of that. Doesn't get you disappointed in the end rdlaugh.png

Well, I was kinda expecting the announcement to be in the newsletters, the last one before Christmas and ED hopefully being in their well-deserved holidays will be this Friday. Either that or as you mentioned, in the "and beyond" video fsgrin.png

Well well, nicely played ED:

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

There we go everybody, just another day to wait.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

19 minutes ago, itsthatguy said:

According to Stormbirds the announcement has been delayed because the module is still too early in development, and it won't be teased in "2021 and Beyond".

You should read again what is written on Stormbirds 🙂   It is said that the new module was initially meant to be showcased in the 2020 (and not 2021) trailer, but it was pushed back. The awaited module will be teased in the 2021 trailer, absolutely no doubt about that (confirmed again and again by Nineline, Bignewy and GlowingAmraam)

• Thanks 3

I guess we will see tomorrow. I'm more excited about developments on the core DCS engine to be honest. 2.5.X is getting severely bogged down by legacy code as we can see with patch after patch after patch introducing as many (or sometimes more) bugs than they solve. 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Just to clarify the 2021 and Beyond video is supposed to drop today?

Edited by Lurker
  • Thanks 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just to clarify the 2021 and Beyond video is supposed to drop today?

Yeah, will coincide with the last newsletter before Christmas, and presumably the start of the winter sale

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I really like the Apache but I've been following this thread for almost a year now and Nineline very often suggested on Hoggit that the new module was going to be something completely new that was never mentioned for DCS. From Katia's interview and Wags' statements, we already knew that an Apache is going to come eventually so I don't really understand why it was hyped this much.

• Like 3

Well, still years from it, I guess technology created for Hind will help it, especially in the AI crew department. ED knows the best. Thread completed now 🙂

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Well... I guess I can only congratulate Apache fans. It has been a long waiting time for you. But still, I am disappointed knowing it's not something Eastern, but yet another American bird instead, of which we have had a lot in the previous years already. I guess people like me will have to wait much longer (till we are already dead and a little more, probably).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nipil said:

Well... I guess I can only congratulate Apache fans. It has been a long waiting time for you. But still, I am disappointed knowing it's not something Eastern, but yet another American bird instead, of which we have had a lot in the previous years already. I guess people like me will have to wait much longer (till we are already dead and a little more, probably).

Isn't the Hind nearly complete as well? I wouldn't be too surprised if we get the Hind before the Longbow

5 minutes ago, Alligator said:

Isn't the Hind nearly complete as well? I wouldn't be too surprised if we get the Hind before the Longbow

My reply was more about jets actually. Though having Crocodile is heartwarming too.

Edited by Nipil