TRIM RESET - CHEAT CONTROL FEATURE NEEDED...

everest101

I come from the Falcon4 BMS sim world and a nice to have feature is TRIM RESETTING.

FACTS:

My guess is that TRIM RESET is not a standard feature in any of the DCS planes that are available and it is probably not available in any real airplane. Heck, even a real Cessna 150 doesn't have a TRIM RESET button!!!

SIMULATORS ARE FOR FUN:

TRIM RESETTING would be a cool convenient feature! For example, suppose you are carrying 2 x 500lbs bombs on your Viper (1 on each wing) and release one of them. When that happens, your jet is completely unbalanced. During your egress you need to seriously trim for wing rolling. Ingress again and on your second release, your trimming now makes you role hard the other way. Activating a TRIM RESET balances the roll back to zero...which is very convenient although it may not be realistic. That's why such a feature is a CHEAT but a very convenient cheat.

To me, in a flight simulator, TRIM RESET is as much of a cheat as, say, an automated RAMP Start feature. We are into this DCS simulator world to have fun so why not have a few control features to make it funner!

MY WISH:

I truly believe that adding a TRIM RESET control feature for all DCS planes would be a big plus for the community. For me, in the Viper, it is a must have.

Guess it could be available in the GENERAL section of the controls in a sub CHEATS section. Of course, we should be able to customize the key presses for such a feature.

I know that such a request is LOW on the totem pole of work at DCS. Implementing it as a general feature for all planes would make it simpler to implement...but why?

IMPLEMENTATION

TRIM RESETTING is simply returning to ZERO all the trims you've done on your HOTAS flight axis. Typically, each 3D cockpit saves those parameters as you set them. That's it, no matter which plane you would fly a RESET would ZERO all trims of your plane and per say, that is simple to implement...press a key sequence and all trims are reset (no matter which plane you would be in).

VOTE ON IT:

If enough players agree with this we have a chance to see TRIM RESET added in DCS.

Thanks for reading...and VOTE in your replies! Like...

YES - Please add a TRIM RESET controls binding for all DCS planes, or

NO - Keep it as realistic as possible. I like building muscles while I fly in my simulator!!!

For me, it's a big and strong YES!

Everest...Out!

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

No, no need for it

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

No....

If the real aircraft doesn't have a TRIM RESET, then it shouldn't be there.

If the real pilot is required to TRIM the aircraft after each weight, speed, altitude etc change, then that is what the virtual pilot should be doing.

The same thing is with the helicopters, there already exist some with the false "Reset Trim" that you are not suppose to have, and it is requested to be removed.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

MAC is coming, this could be a feature there as i think it is supposed to cater to a wider audience and strike a balance between sim/arcade. But in DCS, no thank's.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

No, if it's not in the real aircraft then it shouldn't be in our DCS aircraft. Simulators are supposed to simulate real world stuff.

You can reset trim in the F-16 just fine: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4184692#post4184692

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

@OP:

I do not understand your idea:

Using your example, if you carry 2x500lbs bombs lateral lateral trim will be ~0. Dropping one of them would create mass and drag imbalance. Pressing supposed TRIM RESET button that resets all trim settings to 0 (as you've explained it) wold achieve what exactly?

If you're already trimming the aircraft after first bomb drop, why is so difficult to trim it again after second drop?

After a 1st release of one of the 500lbs bombs, the jet is really unbalanced...trimming is strong on the side of the opposite wing. That works but after releasing the second bomb then bang you are again completely unbalanced from that initial trimming. Instead of waisting time re-trimming again...you just press a TRIM RESET key sequence and the jet is quickly stable again. Very convenient!

TRIM RESET is just a convenience function...thats it! It is useful especially on ground runs. In AA engagement it is not needed so much unless you deliberately release all your (say) left missiles!?! But the jet will typically alternate left then right missile automatically so that soft trimming is enough to correct the roll unbalance.

Hope that is clearer!

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

No....

If the real aircraft doesn't have a TRIM RESET, then it shouldn't be there.

If the real pilot is required to TRIM the aircraft after each weight, speed, altitude etc change, then that is what the virtual pilot should be doing.

The same thing is with the helicopters, there already exist some with the false "Reset Trim" that you are not suppose to have, and it is requested to be removed.

So if real pilots have to make a RAMP Start to start their jets, then why is their a ramp start cheat in DCS. The answer is simple. Because it is convenient, for many virtual pilots, to have a ramp start auto startup in DCS.

So where do you draw the realism line in the sand?

If we ever get a TRIM RESET for DCS planes, then you will always have the choice to NOT USE IT and keep things as realistic as possible for yourself while giving other virtual pilots the choice to use that feature.

I like realism too. In fact if I could get to feel them G when I turn hard, heck, I'd love it! But that ain't coming yet!

No they are not?! If you want "fun" go play games, get a grip man. Simulators are there to simulate.

What's so hard trimming the other side when having dropped the second bomb, seriously? ???

Nothing.

Flight simulators are not games? Really!!!

Games are programs that are programmed by programmers. So are ultra cool flight simulators like DCS.

Therefore, logically, the DCS flight simulator IS a game...whether you accept that or not. Oh...and the DCS flight simulator is also there to have MAJOR fun!

MAC is coming, this could be a feature there as i think it is supposed to cater to a wider audience and strike a balance between sim/arcade. But in DCS, no thank's.

MAC??? Whats that?

So DCS is not catered to aim at a wide audience? Don't put that on your CV if you plan to work at DCS.

Edited by everest101

No (not in simulator mode)

also I believe this feature is available (or it was) in game mode? It caused a lot of problems and was quickly removed. It might still be in development behind the scenes

Agreed, not needed as the Viper autoadjusts to 1 G

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MAC??? Whats that?

So DCS is not catered to aim at a wide audience? Don't put that on your CV if you plan to work at DCS.

Sure it's catered at a wide audience but MAC will cater to an even wider one.

As far as i know it's short for "modern Air Combat", in development by ED and will try to hit the sweetspot between DCS World and the Flaming Cliff series.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

Agreed, not needed as the Viper autoadjusts to 1 G

I believe its roll trim that is the point of this request more than anything else.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

Hi all

I have had a tidy up in the thread,

Please treat each other with respect, if you can not, please refrain from posting.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2