M03 several observations/problems

Quip

In a separate thread Swiss Lipo has reported pretty much the same problem as I had, but I'm digging far deeper into the problem I think...

I have reflown this mission several times because I've ran into problems most of the times. Mainly on my side. But the closest I got was as described above almost. Here's my experience in "stages"

1. Take-off/nav: no problems real problems but it's unclear which channel you should be on for the flight check in (on parking). Also, as I got to the Truck Stop WP (1) the mission displayed "Press space to request landing" as well as the expected "Press space to inform that you're turning to WP". The "landing" message is only up first but only a few seconds, so I think it's superseded by the "Depart" message as far as the logic in the mission goes, but that's a definitive bug. CRINGE-CHECK

2. Establish CAP: no problem. CHECK

3. Recon on ground group: Yeah, weeeell... So here's what I have to say on this part: IF you play it the way you have to to be able to do a visual ID, you or your wingman WILL die from the MANPAD. If you fly really high there's a possibility of survival, but I wouldn't ID anything IRL from 19000 ft. Also I'm told to use F10 menu to report spotting the ground vehicles (while looking out the canopy trying to avoid SAMs), but that was in fact automatic. But the mission said I did what I was asked to do, so CHECK

3b. Attack from the F16A: This takes way too long. And it's not clear if I'm supposed to stay in the area or return to CAP. I returned to CAP. CHECK

4. Attack on Helos: Works but see 4b. CHECK

4b. The Fighters: They get in zone and my flight starts lobbying in AMRAAMs with me in the zone. Also I had to treat this threat first before continuing with the Helos, and even doing so my wingman got shot down. After the fighters were dealt with I could resume the attack on the helos. SEMICHECK

5: "RTB" issued: All the flight started speaking of RTB'ing as there was a message about vul time completed. So the Tornado's did RTB, but not the other M2000 flight (that I could tell). Worse was what happened to me/my flight... NOT COOL

6. The rest: I never got any messages after this point. Wasn't able to contact anyone, not even Approach at Wp8 or the Tower or Ground anything. I landed and taxied to my parking and exited with 60% score.

So imho, the mission needs a review. I can help if you want me to.

Hey, thanks for the report. Yeah, sound like some things stopped working as they should. You definitely should not get “request landing” over Truck Stop :)

as for the F-16s I know they are slow. I have a new idea how to expedite them, let me check if it works.

You can ignore the bandits if you are low searching for the helos, they should be occupied with your CAP, though of course you never know 100% - that is on purpose to create some confusion, as there would be a lot of that on real battlefield. But as long as it worked - fine.

5 - they should talk about RTB at the end of vul time. Did they speak one over another? What was the main problem? I will check other M2Ks not going back. What was the problem with your flight?

6 - the problem emerged because you “spent” landing triggers on departure part because pf a bug. I will check!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hey

I too have a few ideas re: the F16's. ;)

The bandits did shoot down my wingman. So I disagree you can disregard them. As you said, DCS is iffy when it comes to AI behavior.

I reflew the mission (again) and I have more observation/additions.

So at the start this time I noticed I got the message to taxi to parking too. I don't know if it was the first time, but that was followed by the message from approach as I got to the truck stop. See image btw

This time my Wingman was yet again shot down by the bandits.

5. They did talk of RTB, but the 2nd Mirage flight never did anything about this. The Tornado's did RTB.

I made sure (the previous flights too) to "retrace" when RTB, overflying WP4, 3, 7 (only skipping 6 which is Bullseye only) before getting to WP8/truck stop

I don't know if there's supposed to be any chatter going home, but it was dead silent (this time too)

6 As I got to the truck stop I tried to contact approach, but as you said that won't work (but I didn't know that). But as I got closer, "Player" (me) contacted Tower at 5nm. I also got tower to tell me to taxi off the runway.

But I never got anything from ground.

It seems to me that Ground and Approach "get spent".

This time I got 85% success, and I'll "pass" with that. But it's a bee-wee nagging to get 85% when I complete the mission killing 4 air units and doing what I should. May have to edit the log-file myself :D

Again, if you like I can help. I'm pretty good at the ME :)

Edited by Quip

OK, I checked the triggers - everything looks normal there. All the radio chatter on the way back is triggered by your SPACE BAR press, which shouuld show 195 seconds after beholder says it is end of vul.. Approach and landing are also linked to SP BAR and not any specific zone... the only thing that comes to my mind is that the flights that have the conversations linked to them somehow RTB'd early or crashed...

Found a way to expedite Metal's attack. I will play with the mission tomorrow and give it a go in the evening, then report back.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

OK, I checked the triggers - everything looks normal there. All the radio chatter on the way back is triggered by your SPACE BAR press, which shouuld show 195 seconds after beholder says it is end of vul.. Approach and landing are also linked to SP BAR and not any specific zone... the only thing that comes to my mind is that the flights that have the conversations linked to them somehow RTB'd early or crashed...

Found a way to expedite Metal's attack. I will play with the mission tomorrow and give it a go in the evening, then report back.

OK. But somethings' odd. Here's that image I forgot to attach. Screen_200201_205124.thumb.png.2eaa0417aac95a58c772d3aa06c38a04.png

Hey, so I flew the mission from start to landing. Couldn't reproduce the departure / landing bug - all worked well there. I made Metal engage quicker and also had trouble with some flights not returning to base, which I think I internally fixed.

Odd. I get it every time.

Would a trk help? Not that I know that these missions create trk in the first place...