I'm always asking about pc updates...

Flyby

With my current system in pieces (p4-2.8, 1.5gig/DDR-PC3500, BFG 6800 Ultra, Cougar Hotas) I am looking at a chance for a pc upgrade. I've read about what's available, from the core2dou to the core2quads to the 45nm Penryn, and graphics cards til it's all runningout of my ears. I may be able to get a fairly decent, if not top line system. Can Wags or someone give some input based on his familarity with playing/testing Black Shark?

Oh, I'm also looking forward to Oleg's Storm 0f War/Battle of Britain. I understand that it will really press older pc technology lilke mine. Another note is that I've seen a few videos of Crysis, and Tom's Hardware says that thing is a pc killer.

thanks all

Flyby

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

To get the full on out of Crysis you need a DX10 card... but [yes theres a but] M$ is updating DX10 [vista only] to 10.1 and it not backward compatable with DX10 cards.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

M$ can really suck at times

Thanks for the reply Joey. Not that I'm interested in Crysis, but it really looks great from what I've seen. Too bad M$ is dicking around with it's DX, and NOT MAKING 10.1 BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE! Is that realy true? I hope not.

Flyby

Dang, I can't find the link now, but I recently read an article which says that contrary to what people have been saying, DX10.1 will work on existing DX10 cards. If I find the link I'll post it.

I can't find the actual link I was thinking of, but if you search for "DX10.1 backwards compatible" it results in many pages suggesting that 10.1 is just a very minor update that will work with current DX10 cards

thereminqblank thanks for the reply. I'll do a search. I feel I need to wait a bit befoer upgrading anyway. Hopefully when the Penryn comes out it will drive the price of the q6850 down a bit. Meanwhile there should be a wealth of articles pointing to the biggest bang for the buck processor. Who knows? Maybe the price of ddr3 ram will also drop. Pigs do fly. Don't they? :)

Flyby

Things will become interesting when the Penryn is released, especially if the AMD quad chip is also released and is serious competition to the Penryn. The prices will come down nicely! :)

I'm not sure DDR3 is worthwhile at the moment. DDR2 is becoming so cheap (Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 for £140. I paid £190 for TwinX PC2-6400 a year ago!) and it seems to be handling itself still.

Plus, more graphics cards from nVidia and ATI in the next few months!

Maybe all of this in time for Black Shark? :smilewink:

Get a C2Q CPU and overclock it. It's the way of best performance.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

Great, thanks for that.

So it probably won't have any real effect for 12-18 months.

There will be no effect to enduser actually. Difference of DX10.1 from Dx10 is only ATI engineering codes. Microsoft developed to DX10 with Nvidia 8800GTX reference card.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS