VR or TrackIR dilemma....

30mikemike

Hi guys,

I thought I’d post this up and ask the question as I can’t decide what to do! It’s doing my head in.

So prior to buying my Rift S I was using TrackIR 5 and I bought a really expensive Asus Strix 1440p monitor and the DCS experience was absolutely fantastic! Quality, FPS, all perfect....

Then my mate got his Rift S and I was blown away...so I bought one too.

My problem is is that I’m missing the graphics quality of my monitor and I’m thinking of going back to TrackIR. My Rift runs great though and I have no issues whatsoever on performance, maintaining a constant 80fps which switches to 40 when it needs to. The immersion is amazing obviously...BUT...I really am missing those sharp textures that I had before.

I don’t know what to do! Has anyone gone from VR and back to TrackIR?

Cheers, Jonny

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

There is no definitive answer to your question, i.e. which is best. It's whatever is good for you.

They are not mutually exclusive. Personally, I use both TrackIR and VR. I tend to use TrackIR when I am learning a new module, need to refer to manuals/guides while flying, or if external circumstances deem it to be more appropriate to be (semi!) sociable!

One thing that would help your clarity and texture quality is to sell your Rift S and get a Reverb. I have owned a CV1, Vive Pro and Valve Index, and despite other qualities, none of these headsets come close to the pure resolution of the Reverb, especially if you have the hardware to crank up the SS on it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

There is no definitive answer to your question, i.e. which is best. It's whatever is good for you.

They are not mutually exclusive. Personally, I use both TrackIR and VR. I tend to use TrackIR when I am learning a new module, need to refer to manuals/guides while flying, or if external circumstances deem it to be more appropriate to be (semi!) sociable!

One thing that would help your clarity and texture quality is to sell your Rift S and get a Reverb. I have owned a CV1, Vive Pro and Valve Index, and despite other qualities, none of these headsets come close to the pure resolution of the Reverb, especially if you have the hardware to crank up the SS on it.

Yeah there’s no right or wrong answer to my question I guess, I think I was more thinking out aloud when I posted it! Ha. I love the experience of VR etc etc but the quality is bugging me now, especially now being used to the immersion.

I have thought about the Reverb to be fair, it’s tempting. I think the only thing putting me off is how well my PC will run it. Might be worth getting one to see...

# Anyone near Lincoln in the UK with a Reverb Pro I could pop by and give it a try??#

Edited by 30mikemike

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I have thought about the Reverb to be fair, it’s tempting. I think the only thing putting me off is how well my PC will run it. Might be worth getting one to see...

To be honest, you are certainly OK with the CPU. As DCS uses mostly single core, the difference between the 8700K and the 9900K was negligible when I owned both.

Also, your 1080Ti will be fine as well. You may not be able to do a load of SS, but the extra res of the Reverb makes that not SO important as on other HMDs.

Might be an idea to move up to 32Gb RAM, but, not essential IMO.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I also own a nice 32-inch 1440p G-Sync monitor and I've gone back to TrackIR twice now. First with the Samsung Odyssey and then again with O+.

I have the Reverb now and I've decided to keep it around for occasional use. I still enjoy playing on the monitor a lot. DCS looks gorgeous and runs beautifully on a monitor at 1440p.

You don't have to decide between one or the other unless your're considering whether or not a recently purchased HMD is worth keeping. There's a lot of guys on here that will say "I only fly VR" but I'm not one of them. Maybe in a few more years when VR is truly mind blowing I will be a VR only guy. Right now it's got some room for improvement and I'm still happy flying in 2D with high graphics.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

That was my opinion based same experience when using CV1, that soft visuals weren't enough to make learning easy, as you couldn't read all instruments, not even most important ones like speed, altitude or basically anything that want as clear as attitude.

It was as well annoying to pull HMD off to read something, take notes etc. But for flight experience CV1 was far better than any TrackIR.

Then Oculus implemented the snap feature, where user could pull an open window from desktop to VR and position or in that space. So now you got PDF reader snapped to your kneeboard or to your side, so you could read the manual while flying. Excellent thing!

When Rift S got out, it was major improvement in clarity. Night and day. It is HMD that makes possible read basically everything. There are some things that you can't easily make out, like warning lights in Su-25A, but that is because the cockpit weathering is so bad that you can't even make them out in display.

And this is what module developers should do, optimize their module for VR use by clarifying instruments, labels and especially all small fonts and such. Make a VR friendly cockpit by that. Like it wouldn't brake the realism by having a clean and clear warning lights text. So no dust, wearing, moisture etc damage on instruments.

Anyways pilot should know all those by heart, so when they see specific light up in the group lit up, they remember what it was. They don't read labels, they remember the position. It is like a keyboard keys position, that you don't even look at when you are writing, you just write.

And to get to that level, one needs to study manual....

attachment.php?attachmentid=91536&d=1387027947

Once one remembers that by heart, there ain't need to read labels.

And when you can have manual in the cockpit as kneeboard, it makes TrackIR obsolete for me.

One thing that I really want in DCS in VR.... I want my virtual hands to cast Shadow! I want to be able shade the MFD when sun is shining straight to it from the rear. Especially Su-27 MFD that basically becomes just grey without visuals.

But that has nothing to do with VR itself, as same problem is with display, but there at least you can't use virtual hands....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am a fairly new adopter to VR. I tested the Rift S and the Reverb late summe last year and did not like them both. But after the Reverb, the Rift S seemed better. Better sweetspot, better comfort, much better cable, just one app to run it and much less cromatic abberation. I waited some time and out of impulse got a second Rift S. Since then in maybe 40hrs I got used to the poor resolution..... Still I had trouble reading the many thinhs like weapons settings in the A-10C....

Last week I did not play DCS for three days and upon 'coming back' the SDE seemed way pronounced than before. So I remounted my already stowed away TrackIR and used it for a few days now with the exception of some hardware-testing today.

What can I say: the visuals are better big time and I can run up to 100fps with maxed graphical settings. At first TrackIR felt a bit strange since the situational awareness is way better in VR but overall I dont feel the urge to use my Rift S right now. VR fore sure is the future but right now headtracking still is a valid alternative. Especially with my 32inch 144hz monitor.

Lets see, what the coming weeks bring. Right now I cannot tell......

If only the Pimax 8kx were more affordable or the new Samsung HMD has the Reverbs resolution without its many shortcommings....

I guess for now Im pretty happy with 2D again. And still have the Rift S if I feel the urge for VR....

Every now and then I try monitors again but VR has won me over really from the DK2 days for race & flight sims. Of course it wasn't really good enough back then but enough to see the future. The CV1 became just about good enough for race sims but for the Reverb crossed the threshold for flight combat sims.

It is a cliche but being "in" the aircraft or car just becomes a game changer.

It has yet to happen for me with first person shooters, maybe the new VR only Medal of Honor will change that.

I can genuinely say it isn't in defense of purchase. Since initially getting into VR I have tried bigger and better monitors including a 48" TV which I gave to my eldest daughter as a house warming present!

That said I am far more into the flying & driving experience than competitive multiplayer gameplay, so immersion is everything for me.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

the snap feature, where user could pull an open window from desktop to VR and position or in that space. So now you got PDF reader snapped to your kneeboard or to your side, so you could read the manual while flying. Excellent thing!

Is there anything similar for WMR?

Hi guys,

I thought I’d post this up and ask the question as I can’t decide what to do! It’s doing my head in.

So prior to buying my Rift S I was using TrackIR 5 and I bought a really expensive Asus Strix 1440p monitor and the DCS experience was absolutely fantastic! Quality, FPS, all perfect....

Then my mate got his Rift S and I was blown away...so I bought one too.

My problem is is that I’m missing the graphics quality of my monitor and I’m thinking of going back to TrackIR. My Rift runs great though and I have no issues whatsoever on performance, maintaining a constant 80fps which switches to 40 when it needs to. The immersion is amazing obviously...BUT...I really am missing those sharp textures that I had before.

I don’t know what to do! Has anyone gone from VR and back to TrackIR?

Cheers, Jonny

Can't you just use both. Switch whenever you feel like it?

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

I'm one of those guys that "Only Fly in VR" If you are using anything less then a 1080 ti for vr your prob not going to enjoy it. But if you have the proper hardware to run vr nicely you should have a fun time. I started flying VR a couple of years ago with the CV1 and a simple 1080. Sure it worked but with better hardware, it works better. So I upgraded to 32 gigs of ram and a 1080ti. Changed my life! now im working with even better hardware 2080ti and the S. No way in HECK I could ever go back to 2D at this point. VR in my book is just better for gameplay. Just my option.

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

I don't view it as a VR versus a Track IR thing. Two devices that have little in common other than tracking head movement.

It is a how you want to play the game thing, on a flat monitor with sharper graphics, or immersed into the virtual world itself like you are really there with everything to size and 1:1 tracking, at lesser sharpness in graphics.

When I got my Rift CV1 in Jan 2017 I knew within a couple of days that I would not be going back to playing a game on my monitor again, and that has held true ever since. And now that I have Rift S and looking forward to better devices there is no chance I could game on my monitor again.

But yeah, if one enjoys the benefits of both with their tradeoffs then by all means just use whichever one strikes your fancy that particular gaming session.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|