Two seaters??? wooaaaa

lavi

Q: Your press release indicates that Black Shark is the first in a series of DCS modules, with more aircraft/helicopters to follow. How soon will these new aircraft become available?

A: We are already developing the A-10A “Warthog" and AH-64A “Apache” (with planned front-seat / back-seat multiplayer) and other western and eastern aircraft will follow with an approximate interval of every nine months. To annouce these later aircraft now would be premature because plans can often change and lead to delays due to numerous factors such as our work in the equally important military simulation market.

I know, i know.... we can not begin to clang the bells... but... if the apache is modelled with 2 seats... and in multiplayer you can be onfront or rear seat...

Could this mean that others two seaters can be modelled in the same fashion?

(tink on it: tomcat, the two parallel seater version of ¿su-30??, 2 seater hornets..... uffffff:pilotfly:)

Well it is a whole new ball game so I guess anything is possible. The quote in my opinion says it right there. It may be buggy at first but it looks like they are going to have a go at multiplayer two seaters.

Yep...

Every piece of software that ships nowadays is buggy as hell.

I hope that leaving the publisher constraints and with military money in their pockets, maybe they will be able to ship something less buggy than anything seen before in simulators.

Regarding two seaters.

I think we will see two seaters only in multiplayer, I can imagine some ways to have an AI RIO in my 'cat and how 'he' can direct me to targets and inform me targets and spike and so on...

But they are too uimpractical (menus ala radio commands, voice commands) or too error prone...so... two seaters only in multiplayer.

lavi, that's what I was thinking when I heard the two seater thing (and actually since I first played JF-15). If there is a two seater it better have some state of the art WSO/co-pilot AI.

Two seater sims until now usually had a system where you had to do everything, and the WSO was just a bag of talking ballast sitting behind/before you. It's just not right, and also quite overwhelming for the pilot ... I mean, there's a reason those aircrafts have a TWO member crew, right?

lavi, that's what I was thinking when I heard the two seater thing (and actually since I first played JF-15). If there is a two seater it better have some state of the art WSO/co-pilot AI.

Two seater sims until now usually had a system where you had to do everything, and the WSO was just a bag of talking ballast sitting behind/before you. It's just not right, and also quite overwhelming for the pilot ... I mean, there's a reason those aircrafts have a TWO member crew, right?

I honestly think that it would be easier than if you have an AI pilot and you play as a RIO/WSO than otherwise.

It would be terrifying for me... I have ever played as a pilot in any other simulation title (all but Dangerous waters, but i have not played it)

but I have never been able to be in the rear seat managing and sorting contacts, leaving the problem of f-pole/a-pole/pop-up and so on to the guy whose brain is more suitted to this kind of think

(i'm better at A2G than A2A just because I can not place myself in a position in a 3d space and keep those tings in my mind and flying the bird throught all that mathematical problem.)

But.. been a wso.... it would be sure some kind of mathematical tinking, but without the problem of flying that bunch of metal and fuel.

But then again, an AI operated WSo would be hard as a hell to code it...

we now have awacs 'kinda' AI and it is suffice for me. I haven't heard of any military simulator that has AI AWACS or RIO or CAS plane, every one of then has a person (or various persons) looking monitors and talking to the poor bastard in the simu and giving orders/info

so... If this feature (being able to operate as pilot or wso) is only available inmultiplayer, it's ok for me.... and if these planes (f-14, apache, tornado, strike eagle and so on) appear only available in multiplayer and operated with 2 persons... fine for me....sure

I started a similar discussion about AI RIOs in another forum. People cited various sims (the "EE" series, Janes F-15E) and said that it worked pretty well in those sims. I can kinda imagine how it would work, they'd be taking some of the workload of designating possible targets for you to cycle through as well as providing a second set of eyeballs to warn you of threats.

so... If this feature (being able to operate as pilot or wso) is only available inmultiplayer, it's ok for me.... and if these planes (f-14, apache, tornado, strike eagle and so on) appear only available in multiplayer and operated with 2 persons... fine for me....sure

You must not forget that only a percentage of the buyers play MP, and adding a plane to the sim is tremendous work. Adding something for multiplayer only might just not worth it for the devs...

I started a similar discussion about AI RIOs in another forum. People cited various sims (the "EE" series, Janes F-15E) and said that it worked pretty well in those sims.

Well, they worked, but I'd expect something better in a future product. Or maybe I just can't handle the workload of those sims. :)