[NOT REALISTIC] TGP Hud symbology

Nospin44

Ah, this sounds promising. Thanks.

Using what mechanism exactly should I "lock the ground"? Remember I'm new to doing ATG using the TGP in the Hornet.

If I'm following correctly, the "locked ground" will somehow show up in the TPOD screen. Then I can slew the marker onto the desired target? Is that right?

TDC depress with FLIR as SOI will “designate a target” - a mark on the HUD heading tape will appear, along with an offset indicator and when that point is visible in the HUD (lined up), a diamond will appear over the designated target. Slew and TDC depress again to adjust/re-designate.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Okay, I tried it and it's still next to useless. Whether you hit the target when you do the first designation is more or less random. If you do get lucky and end up close, great, refine the alignment, redesignate, and you're set. If not, start over. And I have no clue how you even get close when you have no idea where the damned thing is looking. Actually, that's not fair. You do have some idea, but it's vague at best.

Either 1. There has to be a way to know through the HUD where the TPOD camera is pointing before you do the first designation, or, 2. The target diamond has to move around on the HUD as you move the TPOD view. Otherwise...unless there's something to this whole business that I'm missing entirely. Which is always possible.

Edited by Woxof

And I have no clue how you even get close when you have no idea where the damned thing is looking. Actually, that's not fair. You do have some idea, but it's vague at best.

I told you, you have a TGP marker on the SA page, which in combination with the map gives you the exact point where the TGP is looking at.

It tells me where the TGP is pointed, directionally, in relation to the airplane. Distance down that sightline is inexact at best.

Telling me where it's looking in relation to the airplane is not really helpful. Telling me where in relation to the potential target -- now that'd be helpful.

It tells me where the TGP is pointed, directionally, in relation to the airplane. Distance down that sightline is inexact at best.

Telling me where it's looking in relation to the airplane is not really helpful. Telling me where in relation to the potential target -- now that'd be helpful.

There is no unique symbol for the position the TGP is pointing at. It should point at the target waypoint, the velocity vector or the CCIP cross.

The target itself can be designated using every sensor the plane has, and that includes the HUD. If you want a visual representation of the position of the target- HUD designation is the tool you want to use. Otherwise- you will not have a HUD symbol unless you designate a target using the TGP.

Most of what I wrote above is not yet implemented, which explains some of the things you are struggling with (currently - just try to work with the S/A page marker). The rest is understanding the concept and usage of the pod itself.

So hit the designate button and you will get a direction indicator and a target diamond (if it is within the HUD FoV), then adjust it from there, designate once adjusted to be on target. You will be able to do things even more easily when you can slave the TGP to the VV or an auto target.

On the plus side you can use the SA display and the map to move the TGP over a geographic feature, known SAM site or waypoint.

Either 1. There has to be a way to know through the HUD where the TPOD camera is pointing before you do the first designation, or, 2. The target diamond has to move around on the HUD as you move the TPOD view. Otherwise...unless there's something to this whole business that I'm missing entirely. Which is always possible.

From the sounds of it, this will be entirely possible - it'll just be a different workflow than the A-10C. If you want to acquire a target visually: you'll be able slave it to the flight path marker, fly to point the pod at the target, then designate to stabilize and draw a target diamond. If you want to acquire a target from a ground point: you'll be able to slave to a waypoint and then search from there.

Hi everyone,

Earlier, we made the false assumption that there would be some sort of unique FLIR LOS indication on the HUD. However, after a thorough review of several excellent sources, it is clear that our assumption was mistaken. There is in fact no unique FLIR LOS HUD indication. Instead, it is either indicated by the TVV when in VVSLV mode, the CCIP pipper when in CCIP mode, or the designated target/waypoint indication if the FLIR is slaved.

If there is credible information that contradicts this, please feel free to PM myself or one of our community managers.

Thanks

Hello, Wags!

OK, I have only 1 question then:

CAN ED please make it as an option to module?

Just checkbox in module options.

So that people could choose, fly WITH or WITHOUT it.

Like it was with MIG21 sight, like INS with Mirage

Edited by Bl00dWolf

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext

• 4 weeks later...
Glad I found this thread so I can stop expecting hud symbol like all other DCS A/C that have TGP.

Gotta say this is SUPER disappointing. :(

We'll have to let McD know that their symbology is not up to our standards.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

We'll have to let McD know that their symbology is not up to our standards.

its not necessary i think they know that its just one of the many other reasons why F/A18F block 3 cant seriously compete with the F35, despite their marketing teams best efforts in the past :megalol:

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

We'll have to let BOEING know that their symbology is not up to our standards.

FTFY.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 2 weeks later...
and what about JHMCS target designation ? isn't the FA18's pilot capable of designating ground target with the JHMCS ? i believe there would be some kind of symbology to see where the JHMCS/tgp is pointing at?

yes you can slave the FLIR to the HMD, but there's no unique symbology for the flir to show ya where it's looking. but we can see Target designator diamond (not implemented yet).

Something like:

A94BEF32-359D-4A80-84FA-5365543A6482.thumb.png.7418ba05a1d6be790ea6aca8d7332dd8.png

• 2 months later...

so now we have HUD tgp indication and can actually move it in real time.

Meh....

https://youtu.be/VBUvC3kdi58?t=44

:music_whistling:

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

You have the designated target diamond, it's not necessarily the same as the TPOD LOS. If you use another sensor to designate an A/G target, you can still move the TPOD around without the diamond moving.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You have the designated target diamond, it's not necessarily the same as the TPOD LOS. If you use another sensor to designate an A/G target, you can still move the TPOD around without the diamond moving.

Yes, but still a very hapefull thing, that all we wanted