MFD Size (looking to 3D Print)

obious

Hi All,

I’m thinking to 3D print 3 MFDs for the JF-17 but I can’t find any documentation online that detail their dimensions. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction to some documentation?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

If you succeed in 3D printing it, don't be shy and share with us :) I am right now expecting from PCB manufacturer custom PCBs for MFDs

That's really interesting. Maybe we could collaborate?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Ha-ha, easy. First prototype version is somewhere at post in my country, while today I ordered second upgraded. Hope I did not make any mistake in schematic and pcb :) Here how PCBs should look in first version unknown.png

Awesome. Would be interested as well if you plan to make these. :thumbup:

If you can do a set of framed buttons for a reasonable price I'll buy three!

If you can add blue/green backlighting that would be epic!

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

You mean PCB or 3D printed case of MFD?

A completed unit (PCB and case).

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I would also be interested.

If you go all the way with custom pcbs, have you considered a plug in piece to convert the mfd into a normal 5x5?

Like a snap in 3 button piece. Been thinking about that for some time, but could not come up with a working solution for the connectors yet, that is not custom pcb, thTs why I am asking. Something like that could be awesome for multi module use.

Right now I am preparing third version of PCB. It will have choice of two controllers on-board:

Arduino Pro Micro for MMJoy firmware

or

STM32 BluePill board

In this variant, two possible USB positions will be available on PCB along with generic dupont connector for USB cable

Also there will be connector with all data lines for external controller if needed.

ver3.thumb.PNG.2dee027bf5d67b28152b263c409fc6ef.PNG

ver3_back.thumb.PNG.739c353fe91ec4206e4df0c5dd910395.PNG

• Thanks 1

I would also be interested.

If you go all the way with custom pcbs, have you considered a plug in piece to convert the mfd into a normal 5x5?

Like a snap in 3 button piece. Been thinking about that for some time, but could not come up with a working solution for the connectors yet, that is not custom pcb, thTs why I am asking. Something like that could be awesome for multi module use.

Interesting idea about detachable line of three buttons. Did not think about it, since I have also Thrustamster's MFDs

In my second version of PCB, I had two types of it. One for Horizontal line and other for Vertical line. They were using PLS and PLD for board-board connection

ver2.thumb.png.5b2685727e6d0e99124d552767c9a22e.png

Will the board be plug'n'play? i.e. show as a standard game controller with buttons, or will it require some additional hardware/software?

There will be requirement to program controller boards (Arduino or STM32) before soldering them to main PCB. Arduino can be programmed through USB. For STM32 there will be requirement of external programmer ST-Link. Have not yet investigated if we can use only USB

Edited by zippoa

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw your message :)

About 84$ (45$ boards, 39$ shipping by DHL) for 5 boards. So about 17$ for 1 assembled PCB. You have to add only buttons and solder them.

Buttons 100 pcs 39$ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947533283.html

Cool black KeyCaps 100 pcs 16$ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918071718.html

Each board has 34 button. So 1 board with buttons and keycaps will cost about 17 + 13.26 + 5.44 = 35.7 $

Case is not included, I am yet developing it

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 4:37 PM, zippoa said:

Just saw your message 🙂

About 84$ (45$ boards, 39$ shipping by DHL) for 5 boards. So about 17$ for 1 assembled PCB. You have to add only buttons and solder them.

Buttons 100 pcs 39$ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947533283.html

Cool black KeyCaps 100 pcs 16$ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918071718.html

Each board has 34 button. So 1 board with buttons and keycaps will cost about 17 + 13.26 + 5.44 = 35.7 $

Case is not included, I am yet developing it

Has there been any update to this project?

8 hours ago, El Phantasmo said:

Has there been any update to this project?

Not yet. I am thinking about small improvements, like changing to regular tactile buttons and separate LEDs. These would be SMT placed by JLCPCB. But not sure if I'll do it, since I my needs are already covered with 5 PCBs done

In my custom made case, first prototype looks like this

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 6:37 PM, El Phantasmo said:

What are the dimensions of your case vs the real life size? Also, Have you design a case true to spec and design? 

Don't know about real life. I saw some messages about using 12 inch display in real. I use 9.7 (1024*768) inch display. Size of case is 280x205 mm