INS Alignment

Creature_1stVFW

HARRIER PROBLEMS

I dont have on the head up display the heading bug or the alltitude ladder,so whats gone wrong with my AV8 module,also no artificial horizon..:helpsmilie:

auto start nor manual start solve3s this..I bought the early access is this the issue..does anybody know :(

I dont have on the head up display the heading bug or the alltitude ladder,so whats gone wrong with my AV8 module,also no artificial horizon..:helpsmilie:

auto start nor manual start solve3s this..I bought the early access is this the issue..does anybody know :(

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217066

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DCS+AV-8B+INS

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4184115#post4184115

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4176762#post4176762

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4170213#post4170213

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Question for mvsgas - have you verified the current INS drift after performing stored heading alignment? Steerpoint LOS indicator on HUD can easily be seen drifting across the HUD at several dozen meters per second while in flight. Seems excessive when docs indicate stored heading alignment quality is very similar to that of NORM. What do you think?

Edited by Santi871

Question for mvsgas - have you verified the current INS drift after performing stored heading alignment? Steerpoint LOS indicator on HUD can easily be seen drifting across the HUD at several dozen meters per second while in flight. Seems excessive when docs indicate stored heading alignment quality is very similar to that of NORM. What do you think?

Are you confirming the fields in DED when doing a stored heading alignment or not? I confirm and I don't see any meaningful drift.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

If you confirm then you can't do a stored heading alignment.

Mvgas has said the same thing... but it works fine for me? I highlight and ENTR on all 4 fields as soon as I've flicked it to Stored heading and the alignment proceeds as normal to 10, in about 2 mins and I flick to Nav and it works great? I understand that may be the way it works in the real aircraft but confirming seems to work in the sim, at least mine!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I have not checked, but I can. Let me try it and I will be back.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I did not see Steerpoints moving or drifting in the HUD after a STOR HDG alignment using NTTR , open beta ver 2.5.5.41962. The points where off but no actual movement.

1709834440_STORHDGdrifttestWP5.thumb.jpg.337085d070dce5ab216134990cbd56c8.jpg

Here is the mission used

STOR HDG drift test 1.miz

I did not try a comparison between aggressive low altitude flying and straight and level flying, I simply flew from point to point with autopilot on.

To whom it may concern,

I had the drifting as well...

SALT on DED is negative for kobuleti position 44.

Waypoints are not connected by a line

Alignment doesn't work = no distance read out at from my first WP in HUD (WP is 40 nm out)

WHen I fly I then have a drift.

This was a mission created a while ago like a week or 3 ago and is on our MP server. Also downloaded itand same behaviour in SP.<

Whan I create a new map and use same position in kobuleti, SALT on DED says something like 150 ft (ie. positive alt instead of neg. one) and algiment goes OK with lines between wp.

Could it be that a update broke the mission file ?

I had the drifting as well...

SALT on DED is negative for kobuleti position 44.

Waypoints are not connected by a line

Alignment doesn't work = no distance read out at from my first WP in HUD (WP is 40 nm out)

WHen I fly I then have a drift.

This was a mission created a while ago like a week or 3 ago and is on our MP server. Also downloaded itand same behaviour in SP.<

Whan I create a new map and use same position in kobuleti, SALT on DED says something like 150 ft (ie. positive alt instead of neg. one) and algiment goes OK with lines between wp.

Could it be that a update broke the mission file ?

ok so I tried the .miz for stored alignment : OK - works

Pos. SALT on DED , WP connected by line.

I am guessing that you create this map after update right ?

Using old mission on DCS is a bad idea and one of the many reasons people have issue. If you use a old mission (meaning it was created in a different version) open the mission in the editor and re-save the mission. Even missions you download, always open the mission in the editor and re save it. Only missions coming form ED and 3rd party should be used on new versions of the game. Also, if the mission was created in the open beta, re save it before using it in the "stable" version and vice-versa. This might fix some issues but is not always the case.

To whom it may concern,

I can't play your mission. It tells me I am missing mods. My suggestion: First, ensure you are using the open beta and version 2.5.5.41962. Then in the option menu check the miscellaneous tab, ensure for coordinates you are using latitude and longitude decimals. Then create a simple mission with several waypoints. After entering the mission, perform normal start.

For the alignment:

Turn all other systems on first, for example MFD, MIDS, GPS, etc.

Once everything else is ready, align the INS, there are two methods.

Easiest is STOR HDG, to align the INS with this method currently in Open Beta, simply place INS knob to STOR HDG, do nothing else. Keep track of time in the DED page, within .8 minutes to 1.00 you should see align steady in the HUD where you normally see the G meter. At 1.5 minute, the align in the HUD should flash. This means alignment is completed. Move INS knob to NAV without stopping at NORM. If you hesitate in Norm, you will restart the whole alignment again and cause problems.

The NORM alignment (which the modeled one, meaning the normal alignment used in real life) as before, ensure everything else is on, then turn INS knob to NORM. Withing 2 minutes of INS knob to NORM, re-enter latitude ( only 5 digits) and Longitude (6 digits only). Currently the is an error that does not allow you to change the altitude, but you can enter it anyway ( I do). The altitude will simply revert to the previous numbers.

If you do not know what your latitude, longitude or altitude are, you should see them in the F2 view.

Now, you need to wait for the INS to align. You know is done when the word "align" in the HUD flashes and "RDY" flashes in the DED. After, place INS knob in NAV mode.

This has been cover several times in a multitude of thread and many youtube videos. It is also covered in the early access manual, page 54 and 55.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

• 2 weeks later...

But HDG STOR only goes down to "10" (as opposed to "6" for the full alignment). Is this enough to use precise weapons?

With "10", I remember seeing a discrepancy between TGP crosshair on MFD and target designator on HUD. And then my GBU missed the target. With "6", all bombs landed where they should.

Might be my own mistake, of course - I'm still learning.

Dima | My DCS uploads

It should be fine once INS is completed in DCS. Alignment status 10 is the actual max reach during normal alignment in RL, to get align status 6 you would need to complete and Enhance Interrupted Alignment and this would take 12 to 16 minutes.

Alignment status 10 should be good enough for even GPS guided weapons once INS is finish and JDAM is introduced in DCS.

To whom it may concern,

Status 10 is good enough to do anything. Paveway II/III LGBs only require enough INS performance to get the TGP on the target and the delivery within the guidance basket. If the TGP is pointed the right way and the LGB is delivered vaguely in the right direction any miss has nothing to do with the INS. It's a laser spot on the ground held steady with an optical track from a camera.

When F-16 gets weapons that depend more on the INS, e.g. JDAM, maybe the quality of the transferred alignment matters a little more.

Be aware that not all "status 10" are equal alignment quality. A normal alignment to 10 is usually better than a stored heading alignment to 10. There are different aspects to the alignment: true heading, attitude, attitude rate, lateral velocities.

Do JDAMS have their own alignment which is independent from the aircraft INS?

Sothat a plane with a poorly aligned INS but with the correct target coordinates can still hit the target? If the plane determines the arget coordinates with a poorly alignment state, of course the coordingates are not correct and the JDAM will miss.

If JDAM integration on the Viper is anything like it is on the Hornet, the mission computer downloads the aircraft's alignment into the JDAM during the weapon initialization. The JDAM's flight profile only uses INS during the separation and optimal guidance phases, then switches to coupled GPS-INS guidance during the terminal/impact phase.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Do JDAMS have their own alignment which is independent from the aircraft INS?

Sothat a plane with a poorly aligned INS but with the correct target coordinates can still hit the target? If the plane determines the arget coordinates with a poorly alignment state, of course the coordingates are not correct and the JDAM will miss.

The JDAM is given a relative position of the target and it's absolute position. For short duration drops the GPS in the bomb doesn't do anything because it doesn't have time to get a fix. Paradoxically JDAMs get more accurate the longer they drop. If the absolute coordinates given to the weapon are wrong then if it tries to blend those in over a long duration weapon flight then that screws up the weapon.

On launch the airplane's state is transferred to the weapon which can also be wrong. In the A-10 if you fly straight and level for too long your JDAMs can lose their alignment. If the airplane's notion of heading was wrong by 10 degrees from truth but every other relative data to the target was suitable the weapon wouldn't be affected for short duration flights. If all the data is wrong consistently suddenly it becomes right again and is kinda self correcting.

So do I need to confirm cordinates when aligning in stored heading? When I’m dropping mk82 in CCRP from high altitude they usually land 100 feet beyond the target. Could this be due to a bad alignment?

No the Mk-82 is inaccurate in CCRP currently. Same for both the Viper and Hornet. Try the Mk-84, usually pretty much spot on.

Proud owner of: