INS Alignment

Creature_1stVFW

“INS coordinates should be confirmed by pilot on DED with enter.”

The above line is in the patch notes for the Viper.

What is the procedure for alignment now?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

Just like the RL one. You go to the INS page, re enter the current coordinates to verify location so INS does not flag it as degraded. It should be on the -34, para 2.2.3.2.3 page 2-163. I have never tried in DCS so not sure if it is fully implemented, meaning I do not know if anything happens if you do not verify the current location.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Once you set the INS switch to either of the alignment settings you then confirm each line of the existing coordinates by going ICP Enter / dobber down / Enter / dobber down / enter / dobber down etc until you've confirmed each line of the existing coords, alt and heading if you're doing a stored heading alignment.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Can I just say how thrilled I am that they spent the post holiday on THIS and not ACM boresight, link16 issues between F16s and F18s, weird main gear compression behaviour, etc....

Don't get me wrong, the viper rocks, and I KNOW they'll get there. Just the prioritisation is really ODD sometimes!

dont complain about priorities as long as you have no deeper insight in the daily work of this particular Dev Team.

You simply cant know, just because its finished earlier doesnt mean its priority is higher, maybe they just want to finish something before they shifting ressources (shifting can lead to longer development times an bugs). thats all stuff you cant know unless you are working inside the ED Dev Department, so you shouldnt complain and highjack Threads with other Topics.

dont complain about priorities as long as you have no deeper insight in the daily work of this particular Dev Team.

You simply cant know, just because its finished earlier doesnt mean its priority is higher, maybe they just want to finish something before they shifting ressources (shifting can lead to longer development times an bugs). thats all stuff you cant know unless you are working inside the ED Dev Department, so you shouldnt complain and highjack Threads with other Topics.

This, exactly this.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Well I can confirm, that if you don’t follow the new procedure of confirming coordinates, you end up all kinds of lost ! Tried an inflight alignment but the sim crashed before I could see if it worked.

Yea, I forgot to click to INS and had to do it in flight. No coords or datalink info until I aligned. In flight alignment worked.

Should they be confirmed at the beginning or after the eight minute alignment countdown?

at the beginning. Go to your INS page, when its not already in the DED.

Press enter, dobber down, enter, dobber down, enter, etc till you have confirmed all lines

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Don't get me wrong, the viper rocks, and I KNOW they'll get there. Just the prioritisation is really ODD sometimes!

Like others have said, hard to tell their prioritization from what has been released in updates vs not yet ready to be released.

On the other hand, for me, the whole INS alignment and simulation is impotent. If I am correct, a lot of systems on the F16 depend on the INS alignment, so simulating this correctly will have an impact on all those systems. At least, it should be.

I know a lot of people here want to skip this whole INS alignment but for me it is an important step of the startup. At this time the plane also forces me to wait so I take the time to plan my mission, brief a wingman, make sure I'm all set before rushing to the runway.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

at the beginning. Go to your INS page, when its not already in the DED.

Press enter, dobber down, enter, dobber down, enter, etc till you have confirmed all lines

ok, I am still missing something

I went to the alignment page (LIST -> 6) hit Ent on all three lines (LAT, LONG, Alt)

Then started my alignment in NORM, waited the 8 min countdown and got the flashing RDY

Switched to NAV but still I get no steer points on my HUD.

What am I missing?

I went to the alignment page (LIST -> 6) hit Ent on all three lines (LAT, LONG, Alt)

Then started my alignment in NORM, waited the 8 min countdown and got the flashing RDY

What am I missing?

sorry, i wasn't clear in my preious post

You first need to set the knob to align, then highlight all 3 lines

Also if you set the knob to align, the DED will show the coordinates and the status of the alignment. The first 2 digits represent the time when the alignment started, while the second set of digits show the alignment status counting down

was this in SP or MP? small side note is that not all MP servers have pre planned waypoints

Edited by Falconeer
added some stuff

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

What am I missing?

Put it into stored align, not NORM, then confirm your coordinates per above. The countdown will start and go to 10 in a couple minutes, says RDY before that, but I let it go to 10 for a better alignment. Then switch to nav and all is good.

You can do either. I think you're supposed to be able to enter coords before starting align or up to 2 minutes after. If you enter coords later than that the align restarts.

In DCS entering coords can be done just by ENTR but the real airplane might require actually pushing the digits. The manual certainly makes it seem that way but OFP 4.2 with EGI might be different.

Z

Hmm, tried the new behaviour once in MP and it didn't really work out for me. The altitude on the INS DED page was shown as -131, which was wrong obviously, so I wanted to change it instead of just confirming it, but it didn#t accept it when I input 30 as this was my actual altitude...

I wish ED would link instructions in their changelogs if they change how stuff works...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

hm....

i miss the step of confirming the coords on a regular basis, but never had any issues with my waypoints.

no matter if stored HDG or normal Alignment.

has anybody actual experienced consequences of not confirming the coords?

Yes, you get all sorts of issues, like wrong waypoints,TGP looking at a totally different place, datalink issues, ...

Well I can confirm, that if you don’t follow the new procedure of confirming coordinates, you end up all kinds of lost ! Tried an inflight alignment but the sim crashed before I could see if it worked.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hmm, tried the new behaviour once in MP and it didn't really work out for me. The altitude on the INS DED page was shown as -131, which was wrong obviously, so I wanted to change it instead of just confirming it, but it didn#t accept it when I input 30 as this was my actual altitude...

I wish ED would link instructions in their changelogs if they change how stuff works...

+1

Altitude is most of the time like - xyz and is not possibile to change it.

Actually i'm waiting for "6" instead of "10", but i think we need a new tutorial. For. ex, waiting for "6" counter, the flashing "ALIGN" on the HUD disappear after some minutes. Is this correct? We need to wait for "6" first, and later for the disappearing of flashing "ALIGN"?

+1

Altitude is most of the time like - xyz and is not possibile to change it.

Actually i'm waiting for "6" instead of "10", but i think we need a new tutorial. For. ex, waiting for "6" counter, the flashing "ALIGN" on the HUD disappear after some minutes. Is this correct? We need to wait for "6" first, and later for the disappearing of flashing "ALIGN"?

6 is correct for Full NORM alignment, Stored heading align only gets to 10. The difference in accuracy is not that relevant at the moment as we don't have INS/GPS guided munitions like JDAMs etc.

Proud owner of:

...but Stored does require "Alt" too, and at least online you get always -xyz without the possibility to change it.

As stated above, TGP looking at a totally different place without accuracy. I've get this problem several times online with "10", TGP non aligned with the HUD-camera.

sorry, i wasn't clear in my preious post

You first need to set the knob to align, then highlight all 3 lines

Also if you set the knob to align, the DED will show the coordinates and the status of the alignment. The first 2 digits represent the time when the alignment started, while the second set of digits show the alignment status counting down

was this in SP or MP? small side note is that not all MP servers have pre planned waypoints

Yep! this way it works fine. Thank you

I don't know if the EGI is different but only manual I've read says that code 6 is not possible with any alignment that is done on a constant heading. Without moving the airplane 10 should be the best code possible.

You're not supposed to re-entry coords with stored heading. If you do so then it's no longer a stored heading alignment and it becomes a BATH alignment. You can re-enter altitude or not though. If the calibration of the previous alignment that allowed the stored heading saved state was good then altitude entry is not needed.

Failure to confirm coordinates flags as degraded and the ALIGN word on the HUD never flashes. Code should be 79.

• 2 weeks later...
I too have issues with the alignment and negative alt as described above. Anyone knows a workaround ?

Currently, it is a bug that you can't change the altitude. We just need to wait until the next patch. But even with the wrong altitude, I have not seen anything wrong with the targeting as long as the INS was align properly.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..