Is PG map complete?

bmbpdk

Hi all, i was wondering if the PG map is considered complete by ED?

I read a post by Wags, that said that the map size is done, but that airfields would be added later.

That post was from september 2018, and considering the immense opportunities the PG area have, adding Iraqi, Kuwaiti and Saudi Arabian airfields would only seems logical.

But as we are writing 2020, nothing have been added yet in the above areas.

Have i missed some newsletters or announcements, or will there be added more airfields in the above areas?

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Youre thinking of the norther persian gulf, which would be an excellent map with plenty of real world conflicts that could be modelled with our current plane set.

The pg map would more accurately be called "straits of hormuz" map, an immensely vital strategic location and a hotspot worthy of plenty of "what if " scenarios, but nowhere near as useful as the northern persian gulf. If thats to be modelled, it would have to be on its own map

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Thanks for your answer.

As the map is at this moment, just one kuwaiti and iraqi airfield, and perhaps 2-3 in saudiarabia would do wonders for the region and scenarios.

Im suprised/disappointed that they included those northern areas, but didn give them any thought.

The Basrah region is not just flat desert, its full of little villages, wetareas, canals, oildericks, old and in-use airfields/strips/ports.

A very interesting area i must say.

As you say, the map should be renamed "DCS: Straits of Hormuz".

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

As you say, the map should be renamed "DCS: Straits of Hormuz".

It originally was titled Strait of Hormuz by ED however I think the marketing boffins decided to change its name to PG to accommodate to geographically illiterate.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Concur!

It originally was titled Strait of Hormuz by ED however I think the marketing boffins decided to change its name to PG to accommodate to geographically illiterate.

As much as people (myself included) would love to have ALL Gulf states modelled, ED already explained that the map focus has always been UAE and southern Iran, SoH in particular. To be honest this was clear from the very beginning! Who knows maybe one day though...

The name itself is just more "user friendly", I did not like that decision but not something that ED would ask players about either.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

As much as people (myself included) would love to have ALL Gulf states modelled, ED already explained that the map focus has always been UAE and southern Iran, SoH in particular. To be honest this was clear from the very beginning! Who knows maybe one day though...

The name itself is just more "user friendly", I did not like that decision but not something that ED would ask players about either.

I must have misunderstood the word "focus" and the "more airfields will be added later" then.

No doubt that they would sell more if they added just three or four airfields in the regions i mentioned, instead of dead-on accurately placing buildings in Dubai.

With all respect to ED, this is a combat flight simulator, not a civilian aviation sim.

I believe that there are more customers interested in a Iraq/Saudi/Kuwaiti airfields than some arabs house.

Flying over your own house or through the streets quickly gets boring, low level Mach 1 sneak attack on Iraqi or Iranian airfields and oilinfrastructure dont.

Perhaps they focused on the beautypart and got "lazy" on the function-part.

Technically the name is correct, but i think its borderlining misleading, and is more a PR/sales tactic than something the ED mapmakers would come up with.

But yes, lets hope that one day there will be a expansion pack for the map, or a "remake/remodel" like the A-10C and Ka-50 cockpit.

Time will tell.

That maybe help you understand:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223523

btw: Adding some half-baked airports or any enemy assets on the already flat and no-detailed terrain would make no sense at all. Maybe the future will come with bigger map covering the Iraq.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Concur!

(...)Adding some half-baked airports or any enemy assets on the already flat and no-detailed terrain would make no sense at all(...)

Great minds think alike.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 4 weeks later...

There are some images of airports on the ground textures in South East Oman and Qatar (a really huge one with a TACAN) so hopefully in time they will render these as functional airports. Unless your flying off a carrier the North Western part of Iran can be difficult to really utilise (in somewhat 'realistic' scenarios) which is a shame because there are some really interesting features and terrains to explore there. Just one airbase in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia or the afore mentioned base in Qatar would open up the map to so much more use.

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

• 11 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 5:13 AM, draconus said:

That maybe help you understand:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223523

btw: Adding some half-baked airports or any enemy assets on the already flat and no-detailed terrain would make no sense at all. Maybe the future will come with bigger map covering the Iraq.

I can't really agree with that. Iran is missing some pretty important airbases at both the east and west ends of the map that would help expand usable mission building space quite a bit by adding additional vectors from threats to approach from. The airbase in Qatar would provide something similar for the Blue side and would also be a nice tanker/bomber base. I tend to use these locations as spawn points sometimes in my missions for AI, but I'd also like to take off from them or attack them.

The best solution is probably adding airbase static objects, like larger FARP helipads.

image.png

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Mike Force Team said:

@Silver_Dragon Why does ED not want to update the Persian Gulf map?  We like having the features and functionalities updated.  

MFT

By ED, PG has feature complete, and not talked on the last years about a feature or funtionalities updates. Remember ED maked two expansions on the PG map years ago. The map was build based on the 2011–2012 Strait of Hormuz dispute and ED was clear about they dont plans to build more iranian coast / Kuwait / Qatar / Bahreim or Saudy Arabia country zones.