DCS not loading in Rift CV1

ZedAtoZ

As the title suggests, my CV1 does not display DCS but instead it shows "DCS Loading..." screen. DCS home menu displays on the monitor and the head tracking works perfectly. DCS was working fine until a few days ago.

Since then I have:

1. reinstalled the windows (win10 64b ver 1909)

2. clean reinstall of Oculus software

3. clean install of DCS World 2.5

4. clean install of Nvidia drivers (ver 441.87)

5. check power management settings for USBs and updated drivers

6. checked other ports on the GPU and used other cables to connect the monitor

In addition to the above:

1. I have ensured that CV1 (HDMI) and the monitor (DVI-D) are connected to the GPU not the integrated graphics (which is disabled anyway).

2. DCS "enable output to VR headset" ticked in DCS settings

3. "allow apps from unknown sources" is enabled within Oculus Settings

4. Oculus Home is running and I am launching DCS from outside of Oculus Home.

My system:

Intel i5 4670K@4.00Ghz w H100 water cooler

ASRock Z87 Extreme 3

GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8Gb OC (2xHDMI, 2xDP, 1xDVI-D)

32Gb Kingston Hyper X 1800MhZ DDR4 RAM

Samsung Evo Pro 980 500Gb SSD

Power Pro Gold 1000W PSU

Logitech G940 flight system

Oculus Rift CV1 with two sensors and touch controllers

Please note: Oculus Rift CV1 works fine with all of the Oculus apps.

I have read through a number of threads in here and unfortunately nothing I found fixed this issue for me. I'm sure it's a config thing, just a matter of finding it.

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

try restart OVRLibrary and OVRService from your Services

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

I remember that happened to me before. Can’t remember exactly what fixed it. How about stopping steamVr services if you have it installed. Or launching dcs from oculus home.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Thanks for all your help.....

Tried all that...to no avail. Just installed a powered USB 3 PCIE card, still no change. Everything works great on the monitor, FPS counter is showing 280 fps+ in home menu but still no image inside rift. I also tried different configurations for the sensors and controller (touch, xbox, 2 sensors vs 1 sensor) still no change. I'm not sure if there is anything I haven't tried yet.

Rift works perfectly with all the Oculus apps and Virtual desktop. I can even see the DCS tracking through Virtual Desktop. It seems as though Oculus Home allows DCS but at the same time it is stopping DCS from opening in the rift.

A random question, does your Rift show up anywhere in Devices Manager?

I found the sensor but no rift headset. In Sound, video and game controller it shows "Oculus Audio devices" and in System devices it shows "Oculus Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus" but no Rift headset or anything of the like anywhere in the device manager. I would think that if there was an issue with drivers and software, Rift wouldn't work with Oculus apps neither, but then again, I have to ask.

Exactly what are you clicking on to start DCS...is it a shortcut, if so open properties and confirm where it's pointing to.

Have you tried clicking on the DCS.exe in the bin folder?

What about antivirus? What a/v are you using, could be a permission issue.

Check firewall for permission.

Edited by fitness88

A random question, does your Rift show up anywhere in Devices Manager?

I found the sensor but no rift headset. In Sound, video and game controller it shows "Oculus Audio devices" and in System devices it shows "Oculus Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus" but no Rift headset or anything of the like anywhere in the device manager.

Rift S here in device manager:

Audi Inputs and Outputs:

- Headphones (2- Rift S)

- Headphones (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)

- Headset Mircophone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)

- Headset Mircophone (Rift S)

Sound, video and game controllers:

- Oculus Audio Devices

- Rift S

- Rift S

System Devices:

- Oculus Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

- Rift S

- Rift S

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi Fitness88, thanks, tried it again with no luck. I tried both, the "Run" file which is linked to the desktop shortcut icon and the "DCS" file in bin folder as well as "DCS Update". Both as administrator.

I'm running AVG, tried to start DCS with AVG and windows Defender off, again no joy. I've checked permissions all Oculus and DCS software is allowed in the settings.

I've just noticed something WRT FPS rate. It used to sit fixed at 90 fps in the menu screens and 45 fps when flying in Oculus. Now the fps rate is around 300+ in the menus screens and when I started a mission, fps rate was fluctuating between 50 and 60 fps. Would that have any effect on not being able to display in the rift?

I also revisited the OVRSLibrary in Services app. It brought up an error when I tried to restart it.

"Windows could not start the Oculus VR Library Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 18."

Any ideas?

Again, it only affects DCS.

Hi Fitness88, thanks, tried it again with no luck. I tried both, the "Run" file which is linked to the desktop shortcut icon and the "DCS" file in bin folder as well as "DCS Update". Both as administrator.

I'm running AVG, tried to start DCS with AVG and windows Defender off, again no joy. I've checked permissions all Oculus and DCS software is allowed in the settings.

I've just noticed something WRT FPS rate. It used to sit fixed at 90 fps in the menu screens and 45 fps when flying in Oculus. Now the fps rate is around 300+ in the menus screens and when I started a mission, fps rate was fluctuating between 50 and 60 fps. Would that have any effect on not being able to display in the rift?

I also revisited the OVRSLibrary in Services app. It brought up an error when I tried to restart it.

"Windows could not start the Oculus VR Library Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 18."

Any ideas?

Again, it only affects DCS.

The 90 and 45 fps on the 2 screens is what I see as well. ASW can affect what fps you will run at...nothing to do with your no start issue.

I'm thinking about your OVRSLibrary in Services app, if you're having no issue with other Oculus apps I would think you are OK there. Also Windows Services controls Oculus services check it out in Windows services just in case. I believe you mentioned repair and reinstall was done...I'll give more thought.

Very strange!

Reinstall the drivers for this device for a Code 18 is the usual approach, do some reading on this search before proceeding, as an example: https://www.error.info/windows/driver-18.html

Edited by fitness88

Thanks, mate. I still think that there may be an issue with the frame rate and refresh rate of Oculus. I've ticked Vsync in DCS menu and the FPS dropped to 60 FPS which is consistent with the refresh rate of my monitor. I'm going to do a bit more research into CV1 refresh rate and Nvidia. to find if there is a way of setting this to 45 FPS. AMD do it so well in their UIs but Nvidia is not so user friendly. Another thing I just thought of was that my GPU driver updated around the same time as this occurred. I'll try rolling it back to previous versions and see if one of them brings life back into my rift.

Thanks, mate. I still think that there may be an issue with the frame rate and refresh rate of Oculus. I've ticked Vsync in DCS menu and the FPS dropped to 60 FPS which is consistent with the refresh rate of my monitor. I'm going to do a bit more research into CV1 refresh rate and Nvidia. to find if there is a way of setting this to 45 FPS. AMD do it so well in their UIs but Nvidia is not so user friendly. Another thing I just thought of was that my GPU driver updated around the same time as this occurred. I'll try rolling it back to previous versions and see if one of them brings life back into my rift.

Also you can open Oculus Home and click on live support and chat with a tech.

If I think of anything else I'll post back in the mean time good luck and let us know how it turns out:pilotfly:

I'VE FIXED IT! Don't know what the issue was. I've got the shits with it so I drunk some (read; a lot of) scotch and formatted my C:drive!!!

From there:

1. Made sure the SSD was wiped clean

2. Installed MOBO drivers and utilities

3. Installed clean win 7 Home Ultimate 64b OS

4. Installed Network card driver

5. Upgraded win 7 to win 10 64b 1909 (with still available free upgrade online)

6. Updated win 10

7. Installed DCS 2.5

8. Installed all DCS Modules

9. Installed and configured my G940 Flight System

10. Installed Oculus and configured for 1 sensor and Xbox wireless controller setup (no touch controllers or second sensor installed)

11. Installed and configured Next Level Racing V3 motion platform software.

DONE and DONE!!!

Sometimes, you get far better outcomes if you just nuke the s#!t out of everything!!!

• 1 year later...

Well, here we are almost a year later to the day and it happened again. 

I decided to update my Win10 OS to ver 20H2. As a result, I am back to having no use of my Oculus Rift CV1. DCS is loading and tracking works perfectly on the monitor but the Oculus HMD shows "DCS Loading..." logo screen on the standard white checkered background. I am uncertain what fixed it last time, nor how DCS "pushes" the view into the Oculus HMD but for some reason it's not displaying the image that is on the monitor. DCS is fully functional and I can load and fly missions, just can't see it through the Oculus HMD. 

If anyone has a fix for that, other than what I had to do last year, please let me know.

I checked all the standard recommendations like power management for all USB ports, re-installed the Oculus software, repaired DCS, all drivers are up to date, etc....

6 hours ago, ZedAtoZ said:

Well, here we are almost a year later to the day and it happened again. 

I decided to update my Win10 OS to ver 20H2. As a result, I am back to having no use of my Oculus Rift CV1. DCS is loading and tracking works perfectly on the monitor but the Oculus HMD shows "DCS Loading..." logo screen on the standard white checkered background. I am uncertain what fixed it last time, nor how DCS "pushes" the view into the Oculus HMD but for some reason it's not displaying the image that is on the monitor. DCS is fully functional and I can load and fly missions, just can't see it through the Oculus HMD. 

If anyone has a fix for that, other than what I had to do last year, please let me know.

I checked all the standard recommendations like power management for all USB ports, re-installed the Oculus software, repaired DCS, all drivers are up to date, etc....

Have you enabled 'run as administrator' for all shortcuts and the .exe?

Hi fitness88

Thanks for the response, again.

Yes, I have. it seems like this should be something very simple like a setting to sort out, i just don't know what fixed it last time as I nuked my system and built everything from scratch.

I did notice a couple of things that are different:

Normally, with Oculus Home running and DCS open, Oculus HMD will not track or display the image unless it is worn on one's head, the DCS image remains still on the monitor. At the same time the light inside the HMD is yellow, (STBY?). When put on, the light turns white and tracking and display inside the HMD and on the monitor are on and tracking.

Currently, with Oculus Home running and DCS open, Oculus HMD is tracking correctly and the display inside the HMD is constantly on, with "DCS Loading..." logo, the light inside the HMD is white (not yellow). All this while not being worn on one's head.

It's as if the Oculus HMD was re-tasked to deliver tracking only kind of like TrackIR....

I did a System Restore all the way to a manual Restore Point I created immediately after a full test in Jan last year. Still the same and it's driving me insane.

Could be a good excuse to switch to reverb G2 or another higher spec VR system.

I also use Oculus Rift CV1 and am waiting for a new system before I get the G2.  Have you made any changes in the Oculus Tray Tool or OculusDebugTool in Oculus folder?  You can keep the white light on in CV1 using 'bypass proximity sensor check' in ODT so possibly it's related.

You might also want to look at fixer.exe in the Oculus folder.

Edited by fitness88

No changes to neither, but will investigate. Never used the Oculus Tray Tool, in fact not sure what it is but I'll give it a crack. I'd rather build a new system rather than go through nuking this one again 

Once again, thanks fitness88

Edited by ZedAtoZ

Just a quick update.....

I resolved this issue by resetting my PC and deleting all files and programs (to be honest it was quite straight forward). Installed Oculus software, followed by fresh download of DCS and modules. Runs like a dream...... for now.

One thing I did notice though, before this PC reset, Oculus home would "twitch or skip" every second or so when connected to the internet. After the reset, it works perfectly. Not sure which part, but I attribute my woes to Oculus software rather than DCS.

Bottom line: If anyone has similar issue to this, i'd recommend full PC reset with deletion of all files and apps (backup first, of course) and install fresh Oculus and DCS.

GOTTA FLY!

16 hours ago, ZedAtoZ said:

Just a quick update.....

I resolved this issue by resetting my PC and deleting all files and programs (to be honest it was quite straight forward). Installed Oculus software, followed by fresh download of DCS and modules. Runs like a dream...... for now.

One thing I did notice though, before this PC reset, Oculus home would "twitch or skip" every second or so when connected to the internet. After the reset, it works perfectly. Not sure which part, but I attribute my woes to Oculus software rather than DCS.

Bottom line: If anyone has similar issue to this, i'd recommend full PC reset with deletion of all files and apps (backup first, of course) and install fresh Oculus and DCS.

GOTTA FLY!

Glad it all worked out!

When you say computer reset do you mean an operating system re-installation?

BTW, did you have Windows apps and pop out menus twitching as well?

PC reset using the Win10 reset option in 'Safe Mode'. "Reset your PC, delete all files and apps". (must be connected to the internet). Copying the Drivers folder, just in case, is also advised before PC reset.

Once reset completes, downloaded Oculus software, configured one sensor and xbox controller set up, followed up by DCS World 2.5 download and install.

I think it is a settings issue. One of the files must get conflicting settings between DCS and Oculus.

No "twitching" on the windows apps or menus but when in Oculus Home with internet connected, all Oculus apps "twitched". Once disconnected from the internet, no "twitching".

Since the PC reset done and clean install of Oculus and DCS World, no "twitching" even when connected to the internet. By doing the reset and deleting all files and apps, ALL files have been deleted. 

It's a solid 45 fps of clear skies ahead.....