[NOBUG] M/71 radar bombing (RR) - target firing line

Nighthawk

When using the radar release method for the M/71 bomb I do not get a target firing line on the Central Indicator. I use the following settings:

- Weapon Selector: RR

- Master Mode: ANF

- Altimeter: set to target's QFE

- Radar mode: A1 or A2

Can anybody confirm whether you get a target firing line with the above settings in the current OB?

Hi Skyflash, thanks for your help.

I was using the low drag bombs, will have to do further testing to see whether it makes a difference when I use high drag bombs.

I do get some kind of line in the 15km range setting (and higher range settings), but it's only a horizontal line, not a crosshair. I was following the instruction in the video below (from minute 03:39 on) which says that "as soon as you switch to ANF you get a target firing line" and in the picture the target firing line is the horizontal component of a crosshair. In my case I only get a horizontal line and it's there even if I'm in NAV mode (not just ANF mode). I can make a track file if required.

Link to instruction video:

M/71 radar bombing (RR) - target firing line

Yes the look of the distance marker has been corrected since that video was recorded, previously it looked like a cross but it’s supposed to only be a line. Maybe you can post a screenshot to confirm?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Hi Nighthawk!!

I flew a coupple of times and I tested the M/71 Low Drag bomb.

-I have tested aginst a non moving ship that I have preplanned as a waypoint in the mission planner and in the aircraft programmed as a target point. I flew against the target and when I selected the RR mode on the weaponselector and changed the mastermode to ANF I got the 3km line ok and the presentation and the attack worked as it should.

-I have also done other flights according to the first one but when I have flown out over the sea towards the first ship as a target waypoint I have used the radar control handle and swithed from T0 to T1 and moved the crosshair ta another ship locked it in TV and released to T0 again. A new circle over the new target has been visable and the crosshair dissapears when you release from TV to T0 as it should and only the 3km line is visable.

So far so good and it works as it should. But when you select another Mastermode or change the weapenselector the 3km line still appears and I´m not sure it should.

Thanks RagnarDa and Skyflash

My initial confusion is now solved with the explanation that the crosshair symbology for the firing line was replaced with a horizontal line since the said video was released.

I am not sure whether it's correct that the firing line appears in other Master Modes, like NAV mode, I guess RagnarDa will know that one as well.

Hi LastRifleRound, thanks for your hint. I used the A2 mode with LD bombs and it worked quite well! I find the target line is much easier to see in A2 mode actually.

I also found though that in the A2 mode the (target) waypoint (e.g. M1) are not indicated. I therefore first used A1 mode to designate the target and, once designated, switched over to A2 mode. Is this the same method that you use or do you have a better procedure?

You know, I'm not exactly sure of the A2 logic, sometimes it seems centered on the waypoint, other times it seems to snowplow.

I do as you do, and use A1 to help orient and get a target fix with TV beforehand if I can.

I approach in A1, then push to A2 within 30km. Would be cool to know how A2 was used in real life. I'm sure it was used for this, but without being able to perform fixes or see the waypoint circle to confirm placement I generally don't find it useful. That is the way it was on the real jet.