The Uniqueness Of Andersen AFB (Proper Runway Modeling)- Guam

Wing

With the upcoming Mariana Islands, including Guam, I figured it would be solid to reach out about some uniqueness of Andersen AFB especially when it comes to modeling it correctly.

Its not your typical set of runways, and because so, there have been a tragic history of aviation accidents/mishaps on takeoff and landings.

Somethings I hope the ED dev team would put some extra care into:

1). Both runways at Andersen AFB are on a slight slope due to Island challenges of building the runways. From SW/NE the runways slope slightly upward leading to the cliffs. Pictures dont do it justice, but I will try to demonstrate this in pictures below, because this is actually quite noticeable, more so than majority of other uneven runways. Will DCS model this properly?

1000w_q95.jpg

2). The cliffs on the NE side of the field are VERY dramatic. And offer quite a solid altitude change/challenge to judge while on final approach during bad Pacific ocean rain/fog. These cliffs have proven to be a huge learning curve to landing on these runways for aviators in history, and today. The difference from sea level, to runway in altitude is really something you have to be careful with, and I hope these cliffs really are modeled in a realistic fashion. Especially when coming from the NE landing on a downward sloped runway (coming in from that directional), is challenging. ED Devs I just reach out to you in this fashion to maybe look deeper into the runway design of this base, as I truly hope it doesnt turn out to be a basic flat runway, like majority of others in game. Aborted takeoff at this base is one horrible event... as theres more so a "point of no return" than ever before with other bases in DCS.

7993714561_7eb3a7b65f_b.jpgandersen-afb.jpg

• Like 1

I'll second this. The features of the runway really give Anderson character. If the opportunity is missed, it just wouldn't be "Anderson".

~Bailey

Given the current maps we have and the overhaul of the Caucasus, I expect the runways in the new map to be as flat as the others are. The cliffs won't be modelled in high detail as they're simply part of the height mesh that's implemented and doesn't have the resolution to make "cliffs" as shown in the pictures.

Don't get your hopes up, it's not a new terrain engine they're using, it's just another map. So it's all ocean with a few potruding pieces of land with the ocean modelled below it, just as with all the other maps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

[...] The cliffs won't be modelled in high detail as they're simply part of the height mesh that's implemented and doesn't have the resolution to make "cliffs" as shown in the pictures.

Don't get your hopes up, it's not a new terrain engine they're using, it's just another map. So it's all ocean with a few potruding pieces of land with the ocean modelled below it, just as with all the other maps.

did you even have a look at the screenshots they posted?

Mariana_1.jpg

+1 would definitely love this

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

did you even have a look at the screenshots they posted?

Mariana_1.jpg

Yes I did and I will stand by my point, don't get your hopes up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

We already have both curved runways and valley placed ones that need some climbing on take off. Being new map with little ground to render I expect it to be of higher quality and images show like the hopes are well-founded.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

We already have both curved runways and valley placed ones that need some climbing on take off. Being new map with little ground to render I expect it to be of higher quality and images show like the hopes are well-founded.

Same, I mean think about it the whole of the Marianas including Guam is ~1000km^2 which is absolutely tiny, there should be far smaller total object count, there's no big cities, no huge forests, so hopefully they'll be able to make this map higher resolution.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 year later...

Given what Ugra have achieved with the Syrian Runways, I don't see why it is not possible.  Have a look at Incirlik, Ramat David or Wujah to get a real feel for what the engine is capable of. 

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 3 months later...

Kudos to Eagle Dynamics for paying attention to these details. It'll be interesting to land on 24 at Anderson in rough weather.

Also, the overall detail in this map is outstanding. Well done.

• Thanks 1

NZXT H510i | ASROCK B450 Pro-4 | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080Ti | 32GB G.Skill 3600 RAM | Western Digital SN750 NVME M.2 | MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34" | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | MFG Crosswind | NaturalPoint TrackIR 5

Module Icons New.png

I think the runway lighting isn't 100% accurate tho, in DCS... Why would you have raised lighting that aircraft need to taxi over top of on a displaced threshold?? Especially planes like a B-52.. Just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Also, the hold lines before some of the Runways seem reversed and also make absolutely no logical sense too.

1 hour ago, Baz000 said:

I think the runway lighting isn't 100% accurate tho, in DCS... Why would you have raised lighting that aircraft need to taxi over top of on a displaced threshold?? Especially planes like a B-52.. Just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Also, the hold lines before some of the Runways seem reversed and also make absolutely no logical sense too.

Already reported:

If you want to add more, make your own report.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thx for letting me know, didn't know it was reported already.

I found these 2 stories about landing at Anderson AFB

"The challenge of Runway 24"

https://www.doctoraviation.com/tanker-trip-to-guam-flying-at-andersen-afb/

"We had heard tales of a few disgruntled islanders who did not like the airplane noise at night. We figured maybe one of them had taken a few "pot shorts" at the B-52."

https://www.doctoraviation.com/tanker-trip-to-guam-vii-the-golden-bb/

found this cool video too:

Edited by Baz000