Marianas islands Map

Silver_Dragon

Looking good!, Im surprised not to see some of the new clouds in these pics though. I guess this map is intended to be used with the carriers/supercarrier in one team and the guam AB in the other. I like it and the fact that it is for free!. Would also like to see some more detail in the sea colors, coral and that stuff as well as an improved water representation (water waves decreasing its size with the distance, clouds reflecting in water and higher res white caps for instance)...all maps would benefit.

Take a look at my MODS here

I'm just wondering, do the folks that don't know what to do with Guam from a geopolitical points of view only play the 2008 invasion of Georgia by Russia on Caucasus with realistic Orbats, or the WW2 Nazi invasion of the Maykop oil fields when they pushed to the SE looking for oil? How many servers only play Operation Preying Mantis on PG? Is this a sandbox or are folks stuck in only recreation of things that happened, because if you aren't stepping outside that box, you ar emissing the best part about DCS guys, come on, use your imagination, Guam has been directly threatened by a rogue nuclear nation for the last couple of years at least and it also has history during WW2.

I feel like i'm defending a great choice against some really unimaginative naysayers that got disappointed with a free offering :)

But... I don't have imagination, just history books and wikipedia! :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So .. to my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, Guam wasn't really an aerial battle. It was bombed from the air by the US B-24s .. but as far as I know the Japanese fielded no aircraft in that battle at all. Even if they did .. there aren't any Japanese planes in DCS. Nor are there B-24s .. we have the P-51 but I can't find any references that says it fought in the Battle of Guam. It might be possible to use it for Battle of the Philippine Sea .. but AFAIK that happened a fair way away from Guam, like more than 500km to the west .. and we don't have any of the planes for that on either side .. nor WWII carriers.

I'm also not sure how you could make a realistic modern scenario out of it. I mean I suppose you could do a modern fantasy "Russia declares war on the US and decides to invade the Marianas Islands" type scenario but it'd be pretty contrived.

Honestly .. it's a nice island and the screenshots look great .. but I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with it.

right, and: it was more or less no secret that guam has no strategic relevance in cold war era.

Edited by flanker1

what ever happened there?! ok, some b-52 losing h-bombs. . . ahhhh, search and rescue. ok, great. . .

Trying to work out if you’re being serious or not.

If you are, then please go research about the fight for the islands and how they were used.

As already stated, it’s also pretty much perfect for fleet vs fleet operations.

Even if you exclude the newer carriers, we will shortly be getting on the F4u, followed by AI Japanese units

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

There's a simple calculation to be made. How much does it cost (you)?

Apparently the guys that like "free" also want 3 years of placing millions of houses including their own back yard modelled in three different eras.

Terrains, with the current engine are modelled with a large attempt at accuracy, you can find such examples in the current priced DLC. Things like sam sites, army bases, ports have reasonable accuracy. Over that many million of objects the hope that you would get something with city terrain for free was always a choice between Bob Hope and No Hope.

A sea based "terrain" made sense in the current direction not only for ED but it's surrounding marketable DLC and assets as well as being requested many times by customers. The Black sea is closed to US Carriers, A Nimitz cannot get on any free current map in DCS and now, it will be able to.

And if one couldn't work that out, then one's expectations are set unrealistically. You wont get something like PG for free, the effort is ridiculously high to create.

Sure I'd like the world too. But an argument against common sense is literally that.

as i said, wasting resources - why not put them in creating another payable map with background. and landscape. and environment. i am convinced that would be the better option, for us an for ED too.

I'm just wondering, do the folks that don't know what to do with Guam from a geopolitical points of view only play the 2008 invasion of Georgia by Russia on Caucasus with realistic Orbats, or the WW2 Nazi invasion of the Maykop oil fields when they pushed to the SE looking for oil? How many servers only play Operation Preying Mantis on PG? Is this a sandbox or are folks stuck in only recreation of things that happened, because if you aren't stepping outside that box, you ar emissing the best part about DCS guys, come on, use your imagination, Guam has been directly threatened by a rogue nuclear nation for the last couple of years at least and it also has history during WW2.

I feel like i'm defending a great choice against some really unimaginative naysayers that got disappointed with a free offering :)

nothing to add. it's a decent choice for a map. maybe people do not realize the strategic importance of guam in the region. you do not need too much imagination to come up with some interesting scenarios. i understand that having russia as redfor would be too big of a stretch for some, but china would work quite well...

Total speculation, but I hope Guam is included...

Size to scale:

200.000 sq miles ?

With 88 % water / ocean around ....

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

nothing to add. it's a decent choice for a map. maybe people do not realize the strategic importance of guam in the region. you do not need too much imagination to come up with some interesting scenarios. i understand that having russia as redfor would be too big of a stretch for some, but china would work quite well...

add the Chinese carrier to the mix and things get....interesting..

200.000 sq miles ?

With 88 % water / ocean around ....

Not around, but within.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ah you're talking about the Battle of the Philippine Sea .. I mean I personally don't think it's a very interesting battle to simulate. The Japanese were absolutely decimated due to the US's overwhelming advantages by this point in the war: the notorious Great Marianas Turkey Shoot. As I understand it the air part of that battle happened like 600km west of Guam island in open sea ... so not really that near it. Also we don't have the carriers or planes currently to simulate either the US side or the Japanese side. In fact I don't think any of the aircraft we can currently fly in DCS took part. Perhaps I'm exposing my bias as someone who was more interested in A2A combat in WWII than pure A2G. There was plenty of A2G stuff you could simulate no doubt .. you could probably make a mud-moving campaign for the P-47 when that gets released.

Hey look free is free .. I'm not complaining, and if people are excited about it that's great. But personally I don't understand the choice.

Edited by Tomsk

Nevermind the cries in the distance, ED.

Awesome map. I can imagine a few missions involving naval operations and helicopter incursions.

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

• ED Team

Thanks

We know many of you will enjoy this, and we look forward to giving you more info, first in this weeks newsletter and as development progresses.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm not complaining but how could Marianas count as "fit modern scenario"?

Yes it serve as important logistic knob today, but I can't see it will involve in any kind of conflict in near feature.

But anyway, map looks amazing.

People in 1940 would have said the same about Hawaii.

Talking about Pearl Habour: Bignewy, can you drop any infos on the possibility of a WWII retrofit of the map?

I'd fly to moscow and give everyone at ED HQ a hug, if they'd made WWII Marianas a reality (two hugs, if it'd come for free)!!!

I'm not complaining but how could Marianas count as "fit modern scenario"?

Yes it serve as important logistic knob today, but I can't see it will involve in any kind of conflict in near feature.

But anyway, map looks amazing.

might I recommend reading a book called 'debt of honor' some time?

• ED Team
Talking about Pearl Habour: Bignewy, can you drop any infos on the possibility of a WWII retrofit of the map?

I'd fly to moscow and give everyone at ED HQ a hug, if they'd made WWII Marianas a reality (two hugs, if it'd come for free)!!!

Can not say yet, wait for the newsletter it will give you more information, and we will have more news to share in the future as development progresses.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can not say yet, wait for the newsletter it will give you more information, and we will have more news to share in the future as development progresses.

thanks

ok. I'll try to wait patiently :thumbup: (it's hard though)...

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2020-01-03_Marianas_Reveal/

Since the release of DCS World, the sole free map has been the Caucasus Map. Although a great map and the recipient of a huge update in DCS World 2.5, we are happy to announce a second, free map for DCS World! For this new map, we want to use our latest map technologies and provide a very different combat environment in a new part of the world. The map must have the following features:

A very large ocean area with a few islands. Ideal for carrier operations.

Islands that are situated such that airfields have natural red, blue, and contested locations.

Home to at least one modern-day USAF base.

Feasible for US, Russia, and China operations in the Pacific.

Take advantage of the Chinese Assets Pack.

Taken as a whole, there is only one natural choice: the Mariana Islands. It will initially be a 400 x 400 km map with the option to expand further in the future. Home to one of the largest USAF air bases in the region, Andersen AFB on Guam serves as an anchor of US forces in the Pacific region, but it is within reach of both Chinese and Russian Pacific forces to the north. The same island chain also served as the backdrop of the World War II battles of Guam, Saipan, and Rota, as well as the carrier vs. carrier Mariana Islands battle.

At release, the following islands will be included and modelled at an extreme level of accuracy using our latest map and graphics technologies:

Guam

Andersen AFB.

Weapons storage bunkers northwest of Andersen AFB.

Ordnance Annex in south-central next to Santa Rita.

Antenna array installation on the west coast.

Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport.

Abandoned Northwest Airfield in the northeast corner of the island.

Abandoned Orote Airfield at Crote Pointe.

US Naval station and Guam Port Authority at Apra Habor / Sumay.

Fort Soledad and Fort Juan Muna.

Urban areas of Talofofo, Yona, Tumon, Yigo, Maggilao, Asbeco, Dededo, Inarajan, Santa Rita, Agat, Piti, Asan, Hagatna, Barrigada, Magilao, and Adacao, Agana Heights, Asan-Maina, Chalan-Pago-Ordot, Mongmong-Toto-Maite, and Umatac.

The University of Guam.

Leo Palace Resort.

Saipan

Saipan International Airport.

Port of Puerto Rico.

Urban centers of Kagman, San Roque, Tanapag, Garapan, San Vucente, Dandan, Chalan Kiya, Susupe, Chalan Kanoa, Afetna, and Chalan Kiya.

Golf courses at Agingan, Kagman, and along the eastern coast.

Memorial at the east end.

Tinian

Tinian International Airport.

The abandoned airfield at the north end of the island.

Urban areas of San Jose / harbor and Marpo Heights.

Antenna array along the central west coast of the island.

Rota

Rota International Airport.

Urban areas of Sinapalu, Songsong, and Teneto Village.

Golf course on the northern coast of the island.

Abandoned weapon storage area on the east end of the island.

Farallon de Medinilla

Air-to-ground weapons training range

Aguijan

Edited by Wags

awesome news! looking forward to this map!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control