So many Cobra questions

Nealius

When I watch real world videos of the Cobra, there's very little altitude gain, with the nose going 120° back, then nosing over to level again.

When I try this in DCS, usually entering around 450kph, I get a huge increase in altitude. Then when I stuff the nose from 120° back, the nose falls through the horizon, settles at the -90° point for a couple seconds, but my stick has zero authority to bring it back up. The nose ends up going past -90° so that it's now pointing the opposite direction I entered the maneuver in, and now I'm in an inverted falling leaf.

Is there a specific speed I should be entering the Cobra in to prevent a) massive altitude gain, and b) a stall?

450Km/h is very fast for entry to the Kobra. 350-400Km/h is much safer. When you engage direct control mode the aircraft has a tendency to pitch down suddenly, and this tendency becomes much stronger as IAS increases.

Secondly, and more importantly, you must only remain at very high AOA while your IAS remains above the minimum controllable flight speed. If you let your speed decay below minimum the control surfaces will have no authority which causes the nose to drop to -90 pitch and which usually results in the negative AOA situation and unrecoverable (at low altitude) inverted departure.

Have a look at this training video by Ironhand:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Trim it out then press direct control. There is a reason the switch is in front of the throttles, you are supposed to switch into direct mode at idle power. You can use the stick limiter “Y” key move your elevator fast enough to avoid a negative AOA departure in an emergency

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Wait, pitch down moment? When I engage direct control mode I get a large pitch up moment even without touching the stick.

That's weird. It's not supposed to do that at all :huh: try resetting the ACS (alt-F9 I think?) before entering direct control mode.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Su-27 pitches down, Su-33 pitches up when disabling ACS.

Oh of course, I'd forgotten that this is the -33 forum :doh:

Yes, the canards on the -33 make it pitch up instead of pitching down when entering direct control mode. The strength of the pitch up moment is still proportional to air speed, and 450 Km/h is still too fast.