F/A-18C Dynamic Campaign: Battle Group Delta

MBot

So, I changed the mission dates and camp_init.lua dates to 2011, but still the bug persists. A shame... Maybe MBot can tell us how to change the date of the entire campaign? It will be a necessary workaround, at least until the Hornet has a working INS.

F-5 | Mirage | Huey | Mig-21 | Ka-50 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just to be clear, the instructions state:

"Hi

Not a bug, GPS will only work after 1994

You would need to manually align before this date.

1. In the case the plane didn't move since start of the mission: coordinates of the first waypoint can be used to set own coordinates after INS align completed

a) on HSI page choose wpt 0 using PB12 "up" or PB13 "dn", then press PB14 "WPDSG"

b) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB7 "DSG", press PB6 "ACPT"

2. In the case the plane has moved since start of the mission: you can use TCN position update after INS align completed

a) TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC

b) turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon, set T/R mode; you must receive bearing and range

c) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

So, as I presume the plane has moved (because the carrier is moving?) we have to follow step 2 which is:

2. In the case the plane has moved since start of the mission: you can use TCN position update after INS align completed

a) TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC

b) turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon, set T/R mode; you must receive bearing and range

c) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

Is that correct?

What does it mean "TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC"?

Thanks in advance

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

The Hornet's Mission Computer (MC) has an editable table of known TACAN stations for it to use as a reference. If you try to perform a TACAN update on a station that isn't in the MC, it won't work, since the process uses the received bearing and range from the TACAN station to determine your aircraft's position.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

It must be a fixed TACAN station I suppose ? No CVN ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I meant to ask that question also. When it says "turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon" what TACAN am i tuning to. Is it the carrier?

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Using the CVNs TACAN works perfectly.

If I'm not mistaken, TACAN beacons that are active at mission start are saved in the MC by default.

Also, it's not quite exact to say that these are saved in the MC. They are saved in the mission card.

I don't think there is really a need for TACAN fix. The carrier will probably move under a mile from your WP0 location by the time you have completed INS alignment. The is plenty accurate for navigation. The INS would also drift be that amount by the time you reach your target, which is not modelled either.

Hisothiro, how did you get it to work?

I tried the 2nd method to align the INS but must have done something wrong.

I cheated and used autostart to get the plane going.

I followed the instructions and turned on the TACAN and tuned the TACAN for IDY. I set the HSI to TCN to confirm i was tuned in correctly to IDY.

I selected WP1, but as i flew towards it the distance didnt change at all. This was the same for all way points. I switched back to TCN and could see the distance between me and the carrier was increasing.

The autostart leaves INS set to NAV. Should I have changed this to CV?

As suggested by MBot I will try method 1 and hope this works.

parxuk, the second method works perfectly. Ensure that you aligned your INS using CV, and that you're in NAV mode when doing it (so, after the INS is aligned). This will provide greater precision than using the waypoint (1st) method.

parxuk, the second method works perfectly. Ensure that you aligned your INS using CV, and that you're in NAV mode when doing it (so, after the INS is aligned). This will provide greater precision than using the waypoint (1st) method.

Thanks.

Dont know whats going wrong.

I start the mission and press windows key and home to commence auto-start (this places the INS knob in the NAV position and I dont move it).

Once I get the message auto start is complete I turn on the TACAN.

Enter 62X and press enter ensuring transmit and receive is set.

Go to HSI and press TCN. It shows IDY at 0.1 distance so I assume i am tuned correctly.

on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

I then choose WP1 select WPT and sequence. WP1 shows as 43.1 miles (approx)

I take off. The distance to the waypoint (or any waypoint) doesnt change.

I can set HSI back to TCN and can see my distance from IDY changing.

Why doesnt the distance to the waypoints change?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

I tried it again in another mission and it did not work. Can't explain why... however, method 1 (using a TGT point) worked so it's an appropriate workaround. Considering what you wrote, it should've worked for you. There might be a bug.

I tried it again in another mission and it did not work. Can't explain why... however, method 1 (using a TGT point) worked so it's an appropriate workaround. Considering what you wrote, it should've worked for you. There might be a bug.

Thanks for your help. I have used method 1 to allign using waypoint 0 (leaving INS knob at NAV) and it works great.

Hopefully this will do the trick for the remaining missions.

Kind regards

Here is what I found regarding alignment without GPS on this forum after a quick search:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4116515&postcount=2

I assume the Hornet should also somehow be able align on a moving carrier.

Thanks, MBot, I didn't notice your post just above mine, I used WP 0 to align the INS and it worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, after two hours of mission, when I got back, I had this error in the cmd window... what is wrong, and how can I fix it?

Error.jpg.702ac546eb28b3f4f54f73c930fa0e1d.jpg

Unfortunately, after two hours of mission, when I got back, I had this error in the cmd window... what is wrong, and how can I fix it?

Difficult to tell, but looks like an incorrect installation. Can you make a screenshot of the campaign folder structure?

Hi MBot,

Completed a few missions and am really enjoing it, thanks.

Out of interest are there any JTAC missions in the campaign? (i enjoy a bit of CAS).

Thx again

Since I run the openbeta, I modified the path in line 7 of camp_init.lua as specified previously. However, when I use FirstMission.bat to re-generate a first mission, I get the following error (in CMD):

The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\XXX\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta>

I verified my path and it is identical, yet it cannot find it.

Any clue as to why?

Thanks in advance for the campaign !

Anyone found an answer for this question yet?

As for the INS troubles, would it be an option to edit the miz file with the ME and change the date? (haven't tried it yet because first I need to find an answer on the above question on how to get "FirstMission.bat" to run)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Regarding the first problem, you need to open the .bat files with a text editor and change the default path to your installation path.

Regarding the second problem, I have set the date to after 1994 in the camp_init.lua file, then you will need to run the firstmission.bat file. I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Difficult to tell, but looks like an incorrect installation. Can you make a screenshot of the campaign folder structure?

Hi MBot, the campaign is installed in the following directory:

C:\Users\XXXXXXXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\

I unzipped the content of "FA-18C_Battle_Group_Delta_v20191230.zip" inside that folder, so right now the structure is:

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta (this one is a folder)

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\camp_status.lua

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta.cmp

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta_first.miz

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta_ongoing.miz

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\MissionEventsLog.lua

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\scen_destroyed.lua

I hope it's clear enough to troubleshoot it, now. Thank you for your help (and for the campaign, mission 1 was already awesome, can't wait to be able to progress to the others!)

Finally had some time to fly the first two missions. Had quite a bit of fun. You do need to manage your fuel pretty carefully :)

Question: is the AWACS not providing datalink feed intentional? I would think yes, given the era we are in, but I just wanted to double-check.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hi MBot, the campaign is installed in the following directory:

C:\Users\XXXXXXXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\

I unzipped the content of "FA-18C_Battle_Group_Delta_v20191230.zip" inside that folder, so right now the structure is:

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta (this one is a folder)

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\camp_status.lua

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta.cmp

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta_first.miz

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FA-18C Battle Group Delta_ongoing.miz

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\MissionEventsLog.lua

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\scen_destroyed.lua

I hope it's clear enough to troubleshoot it, now. Thank you for your help (and for the campaign, mission 1 was already awesome, can't wait to be able to progress to the others!)

Ok I see. The content in the Zip file has a folder structure that should be extracted completely. Your installation then must look like this:

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta.cmp

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta_first.miz

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta_ongoing.miz

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Active\

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Debriefing\

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Debug\

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Images\

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\base_mission.miz

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\camp_init.lua

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\camp_triggers_init.lua

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\db_airbases.lua

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\db_loadouts.lua

...\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\oob_air_init.lua

....\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\targetlist_init.lua

Finally had some time to fly the first two missions. Had quite a bit of fun. You do need to manage your fuel pretty carefully :)

Question: is the AWACS not providing datalink feed intentional? I would think yes, given the era we are in, but I just wanted to double-check.

I am glad you are enjoying it so far.

I did not set up anything specifically to accommodate the Hornet datalink. For the Tomcat this works out of the box, are there any special requirements for the Hornet? In any case, the Hornet probably didn't have any DL yet in 1990 anyway.