[NO BUG, IT ACTUALLY CAN] Gazelle STILL can't contact AWACS...

D4n

I'm preeeety sure an AWACS hast multiple Radios on multiple frequencies, encrypted and unencrypted. So to get in contact you need the frequency on VHF or UHF etc.

There is no technical reason, why a Gazelle should not be able to contact an AWACS.

Fox

You're right.

Well, bottom line is, the module as it is can contact AWACS and request picture and bogey dope etc. Just make sure you use the right radio and keep in mind that both the left and right seat have separate radio selector panels to achieve this.

1: Make sure you turn on the UHF AM Radio and select the correct frequency for the AWACS.

step1.png

2: Set the UHF AM Radio as the primary radio by pressing the UHF Selector / Volume dial.

step2.png

3: The radio menu should now show UHF AM at the top and you should be able to contact AWACS.

step3.png

Edited by Polychop Simulations

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, bottom line is, the module as it is can contact AWACS and request picture and bogey dope etc. Just make sure you use the right radio and that both the left and right seat have separate radio selector panels to achieve this.

1: Make sure you turn on the UHF AM Radio and select the correct frequency for the AWACS.

2: Set the UHF AM Radio as the primary radio by pressing the UHF Selector / Volume dial.

3: The radio menu should now show UHF AM at the top and you should be able to contact AWACS.

Fantastic, IIRC the last time I tried to contact AWACS was years ago (1.5.x ?) and I couldn't access the F7 AWACS radio menu.

:thumbup:

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Fantastic, IIRC the last time I tried to contact AWACS was years ago (1.5.x ?) and I couldn't access the F7 AWACS radio menu.

Yes, same problem. No AWACS menu on me too.

I'm gonna try it ASAP on MP.

Thanks Polychop

Edit : I can confirm its working fine in MP. Just tried it couple of hours ago on 104th and GS

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Just something to think of regarding the use of bogey dopes in helos:

1. Aircraft reports are normally given in the bullseye form. Helicopter pilots tend to use other card material (especially the scale) for their operations than fighter pilots. You can imagine the use of a report where you operate 130nm away from the bullseye? Until you have done the plotting, the bogey will be on top of your position.

2. Reports can also be given in a ZZ format where ZZ is your ownship. For this Awacs needs your exact position. Can you imagine how this should work in mountainous terrain from dozens or hundreds of miles away when you opereate at tree top level? Even a normal radio connection would be impossible in this case and is done by other units relaying your requests.

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very true FSK Ripper, it's most likely why it was only tried in exercises as far as we know. Matter of fact is, one has the ability to contact AWACS both in real life as well as in DCS. The practical use of it is up for debate. What matters here though is that it is not a bug.

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion on here. I can tell you that there is no "Black Magic" involved with talking to an AWACS "Magic" aircraft. As long as you've both got the right crypto fill, you just dial up their frequency and off you go! We checked in with them prior to coasting in on every mission, for a mission update, co-ordinate any other call signs assigned to us (CAS / SEAD) on to our dedicated mission freq and they would then confirm they had us on radar and off you go. No different to chatting to a ground unit, or other aircraft in your patrol. We also flew alongside French Gazelles on that Op. Now whether or not they checked with AWACS I'm not sure as they weren't part of the NATO Mission.

Edited by ChrisAH64D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok but now it's broken, no reply at all, tried both UHF + VHF, actual frequency of AWACS, in radio menu it lists "F7: AWACS - Overlord...", but no reply on bogey dope...

(Gazelle Mistral)

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Ok but now it's broken, no reply at all, tried both UHF + VHF, actual frequency of AWACS, in radio menu it lists "F7: AWACS - Overlord...", but no reply on bogey dope...

(Gazelle Mistral)

I can't reproduce your issue and can contact an E3 Overlord on 251.000 MHz UHF from both SA-342M and Mistral.

Hot Gazelle ground starts near Batumi with an E3 orbiting near Kobuleti i.e. 20-40 NM away

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.5.5.41962

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I had it on PG PvP server, 265.00 for AWACS, I was connected to SRS. Is LOS modelled, could range to AWACS be a reason?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yes LoS is modelled.

:huh: Since when?? (I mean for DCS AWACS/Gazelle, not for SRS)