Virpil T-50 base "stiction"

REDEYE_CVW-66

Very happy with my T-50 base, however as of late, it's movement is not as smooth as it used to be.

I can get an audible and tactile 'pop' (Feels like spring tension/stiction) when moving the stick, both in the X and Y axis.

I have tightened, and loosened and retightened the 'pitch' and 'roll' screws on the base. The tension on the stick is fine- I just want smooth (and quiet) operation back.

Anyone know what can be done here?

I have the same problem, I don't use any extensions and change the springs to the soft one and I also get this "clunk" while moving the axis. I made a post here recently trying to get some help about the kind of grease that I could use to make a maintenance but nobody cares about the "old" Virpil hardware anymore. Let's see if you'll be fortunate.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Did your tension rods( things with the springs under the rubber caps work loose or strip?

I changed them from standard to light right out of the box and noticed slop due to the “fragile “ nature of the threaded aluminum bit that they screwed into. Once I got them set, I red lock tighted (sp) them from below. Once they work loose or strip it becomes sloppy with a clunk.

Just a thought.

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

grease up the moving parts where the cams move on ?
I thought just to grease up parts that the cams race/move on. But I don't know what kind of grease I should use

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

The clunk is not the "stiction", it's the springs jumping under load. Mine was like this from the factory, I disassembled it (same way as for a spirng replacement), reassembled and it's all good since then. You can also try to rotate the springs 90 degrees.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I thought just to grease up parts that the cams race/move on. But I don't know what kind of grease I should use

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

You can use silicone spray, or silicone grease. Just don't let silicone get to any electronics....

Or if wanting better (metal only, as silicone can be used for plastic too) then white lithium grease spray.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You can use silicone spray, or silicone grease. Just don't let silicone get to any electronics....

Or if wanting better (metal only, as silicone can be used for plastic too) then white lithium grease spray.

Thanks man

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

I´m doing slotcar racing as a hobby and the controllers/switches need regular greasing as well. Tamiya offers specific switch/controller lubricant originaly meant for those and i used it to grease my WH gimbal too. Propably not a perfect solution, but the Tamiya lubricant is antistatic (so no worries about electronics), can be used on both metal as well as plastic and i had good results with it...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I had a similar problem, I have T-50 base (v1) and warthog grip combo, and moving the stick across the center point would result in a "click" feel and sound. At first I also thought there was an issue with the base, but looking more closely, the "clicking" only came when I was holding onto the WH grip, not when only holding onto the base shaft. So actually the problem was with the thrustmaster grip, the metal shaft that you screw onto the base had come slightly loose from the grip itself., due to a loose screw... I solved it with epoxy glue, and electric tape to remove any remaining gaps.

It's the bushing that the preload adjuster screws thread into. Pull the gimbal out and unscrew the preload adjusters until the screw falls out of the bushing. Next pop the bushing out out of the aluminum arm. Now go feel all the burrs in the race that the bushing rotates in as the spring compresses; that's your problem. Polish the races with a progression of sandpaper grits. 250 --> 600 --> 2000 should do you well. Grease the bushing and reassemble.

I had a similar problem, I have T-50 base (v1) and warthog grip combo, and moving the stick across the center point would result in a "click" feel and sound. At first I also thought there was an issue with the base, but looking more closely, the "clicking" only came when I was holding onto the WH grip, not when only holding onto the base shaft. So actually the problem was with the thrustmaster grip, the metal shaft that you screw onto the base had come slightly loose from the grip itself., due to a loose screw... I solved it with epoxy glue, and electric tape to remove any remaining gaps.

Damn, you were right!

The 'click' (that can be both felt and heard) was from the brand new Thrustmaster Hornet grip, while the 'squeek' is from the springs.

Cool that you found the problem. WARNING, if you try to open the warthog grip to tighten it up, don't make my mistake and apply too much force to the screw, mine snapped in half and now the screw is forever stuck... I solved it by using epoxy glue to fasten the base shaft to the grip. So far its holding up.

mine snapped in half and now the screw is forever stuck...

I would simply drill out the screw with a drilling bit that is tiny smaller than the screws core diameter. Then clean up the thread with a mini steel brush and don't forget to use high quality replacement screws that won't snap in half again. As long as you know what you're doing, it's actually very easy with the correct tools.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2