A-10C not possible to trim out in roll?

Fred00

Thanks for the replies guys. I have to wonder though, those of you who say that there's no problem, do you fly any other modules? I'm asking since for example the F-18 is so much better.

If the real A-10C actually has a bad trim system then fine. Then we can maybe view it as a feature. Otherwise I would love to see the same trim functionality as the F-18.

The F/A-18C has digital control-by-wire controls which is why you don't even need to trim to fly the aircraft straight and level. You 'should' be able to just fly straight and level and the Flight Control System will keep the controls centered for you. Sure trim is used for minor adjustments but by their very nature control-by-wire systems want to stay centered, or at least, stay where the last input placed them.

The hydraulic systems used in the A-10C and the AV-8B are impossible to model if you've never been in the plane feeling the effects of airspeed and Gs on the stick. The trim on the hydraulic systems takes the pressure off to make it easier to fly, otherwise you would be physically exhausted trying to fight the plane. I'm no pilot but have spent considerable amounts of time (20+ years) working on the Harrier and used the simulator over hundreds of hours and while actually high powering the airplanes. The trim in these systems aren't anywhere near as precise as the control-by-wire systems in modern 4th Gen and up aircraft. These planes are considered 'Legacy' aircraft for a reason.

Fred,

do you own and fly the F-5E, L-39C, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, or any of the other "cable and pulley" jets?

Yes, I own all of them and have not noticed the same problem with any of them. Maybe the A-10C is modelled to a higher fidelity? I have to say though that it is annoying when the aircraft starts to bank just seconds after having started in the air. One would think that it could at least be trimmed out when starting.

Yes, I own all of them and have not noticed the same problem with any of them.
Okay, I was asking because your comparison was to an F/A-18C, which of course uses an electronic FCS (and people are still having problems trimming that too:music_whistling:) I wanted to see what frame of reference you had for comparing aircraft.

I have to say though that it is annoying when the aircraft starts to bank just seconds after having started in the air. One would think that it could at least be trimmed out when starting.

This is likely due to load asymmetry. Seems aircraft in DCS have 'preset' trim positions when they air start.

Yes, I own all of them and have not noticed the same problem with any of them. Maybe the A-10C is modelled to a higher fidelity? I have to say though that it is annoying when the aircraft starts to bank just seconds after having started in the air. One would think that it could at least be trimmed out when starting.

The A-10C does that for me too, unless I immediately take my feet off the rudder pedals once I get airborne.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Just as a possible perspective, I remember all the feelings like this when I came from allied force/F-16 where everything was crisp and automated. Flying the A-10 felt like piloting a canoe!

I really enjoyed the challenge, and will say after much practice it does become subconscious to manage all the nuances. Its not an easy bird to fly, so I enjoy the added challenge of just doing a simple departure and route work. Keeps it fun and rewarding, for me at least!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

I love flying this thing. I agree you can't trim ut straight and level, but with no fly by wire I can dial in perfect AOA and land with throttles only in the A10. It's s joy to fly.

The Harrier, for me, is by far the most hectic. I am absolutely convinced whoever positioned the refueling probe hated all of humanity and wished for all to suffer greatly.

I have zero problems trimming the Hog, short sharp taps of the trim hat get it done, its not an airliner after all. And if you need to fly in a certain direction it's what Path Hold AP mode is for.

Stick TM Warthog

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I had a very difficult time for awhile in my close in formation flying with the A10C. My squadron trainer came to realize something was very wrong with my ability to trim. Turned out my Crosswind rudder petals were in need of a decent calibration. I was flying with a slightly deflected rudder and trying to maintain smooth trim in formation flying became a chore. Got it all sorted out and it was like flying a different aircraft. Don't know your rudder situation, but thought I would mention it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin