Improved VR performance by cropping.

Flighter

Hi all !

I though I'd share this as it makes a real improvement in FPS. Of course nothing is really free in life, and for this one you pay with smaller image size.

Some may find it appalling some may tolerate it.

It's still an option and for some systems missing just a couple of frames per second to lock to 45, 90 or whatever your target is, it may be valuable.

I also attach a spreadsheet that I used to get an understanding of the impact of Pixel density and image size (as in rendered pixels) on the system.

Just remember that shaving off from the edges even a little may make a substantial difference because we are talking "area" so numbers are multiplied...

I do not know if other HMDs than the Oculus's have this setting...

In Oculus debug tool use the "FOV-Tangent Multiplier" section. In there the two numbers crop the rendered frames by the multiplier specified. (1 means no cropping).

Use the attached openoffice calc sheet to see the effects on pixels required by the system for various VR headsets.

The blue cells are drop-down lists.

Select your device, PD and cropping factor and see the results.

The green cells show the percentage of more (or less) work the system has do.

The big table makes easier to understand the equivalent settings taking in consideration the characteristics of each device.

For example: A PD of 1.5 for the rift makes the system render 5.6 MPixels

Same PD on the rift S will require 7.9 MPixels.

From the table it is apparent that a PD of 1.2 or 1.3 for the rift S would have (more or less) the same effect (at least on system performance as image quality is also affected by the down-sampling ratio, blur radius used etc etc).

Merry Christmas all !

Oculus debug tool :

attachment.php?attachmentid=223654

Pixel Density Calculator :

attachment.php?attachmentid=223653

PixelDensityCalc1.thumb.png.a0fc369fab530f6f98a8700ed4a6f38d.png

OculusTool.thumb.png.3df20038e0759501928c8a5833ff8040.png

PixelDensityCalculator.zip

Edited by Flighter

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

Hey Flighter, thank you for sharing! :thumbup:

Could you explain to me what you mean by "a smaller image size"?

Do you mean it effects fov?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yes it cuts black bars left/right - up/down. Even with 0.9 by 0.9, when looking strait forward I can now see a box. Bad. (looking at borders of lenses I don't see it but forward it's obvious)

In this kind of tweak, what Kegetys did was much smarter than what Debug Tool does : round rendering zones instead of rectangular ones, so only invisible corners were cut off while sides (up/down - left/right) were rendered fully.

But the rendering zone tweak by Kegetys is sadly not available alone, but also with shaders mod that gives perf but takes good DCS visuals at the end...

Aww, that's too bad then, sure I want better performance, but not at the cost of fov

Still, nice of you to share Flighter

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Alas, dcs in VR has major issues, including bad and unstable performance.

Not for everyone, it hasn’t!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box