VR Perfomance AMD advice (newbie)

dutch_bullet

Sinds I bought Flaming Cliffs 3 I'm hooked at DCS and bought the FA 18 and Persian Gulf map but I struggle with VR performance, especially with the Hornet, I searched alot on the forums but I still have some questions :huh:.

I Use a Oculus Rift S, AMD RX 5700 XT, 16 gb ram, and a Ryzen 2700x.

My main question is how can I achieve a slightly higher FPS? On the forum I see a shader mod for example, (I cant get it to work in the newer version), but are there more "tricks" I should know?

There are also alot of tips for settings on Nvidia cards but nothing for AMD cards, maybe there is a setting that kills my framerate?

And my second question, is there a way to get anti aliasing in VR without the massive performance hit?

Most of the tips I found on the internet is setting a specific AA setting in the Nvidia driver but there is no similar setting in the AMD drivers.

I hope someone can help me with this, I just need it to be a bit more stable :helpsmilie:

Welcome. There are literally hundreds of post and how to's on performance and there is no magic formula. If someone knows they could be rich. I do not know your gaming experience but first search on basic ways to get your computer running well in general such as stopping background programs not needed from running while flying. I use Razer Cortex which you start DCS with and it closes them for you. Also search this forum to learn how to delete and let dcs rebuild your shaders. Easy but I see no effect.

As far as DCS settings there is no best way or one size fits all. I system is considered high end and if you search the forums MOST all of us have issues. Just start on low settings and one by one bump em up. The AA settings have always been a mystery working great for some and crashing systems for others. I can max everything out and mostly cannot see any difference other than more "stuff". Still looks like vasoline has been smeared on the screen and I get occasional freezes for a few seconds. This is on a fast ssd and 32 gigs of fast ram.

I have just accepted VR is mainly for immersion and is best for ww2 birds and helis.

Good luck and just search and trial and error. Many drop big $$ and try and use brute power on VR but it's just still in the experimental phase.

I'm in the same boat, I have a Ryzen 3800X and a 2080TI and VR is garbage for me as well and I have been beating the bushes trying to figure out why.

the "GO TO" video regarding VR was posted by Jabbers

But that was two years ago and his most recent comment on the VR situation in DCS is

" I stopped using VR cause the performance is atrocious, even at lower settings and i dont have time to do all the crazy tweaking everyone is doing now a-days just to get VR to work. So till there are some solid VR performance improvements that actually make a difference, I will be playing on my monitor."

Considering even people with rigs that should be total overkill for a satisfactory VR are struggling to make the game reasonably playable, its not unfair to make that statement that in its current state DCS VR is broken.

It should not take hours of combing forums and trying a mountain of esoteric crap to get it to properly function, its just bad and hopefully it will be fixed eventually.

P.S regarding all the weird crap you will probably read and or be told.. its all BS.. if other VR games run fine, DCS should run fine. Dont go downloading a ton of programs, messing with your registry or any other nonsense to "optimize" your system, its not your system, its the game.

Edited by Wingnutt270

DCS runs ok for me with my Rift S with some fairly high settings, looks great also.

Certainly it could be better.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sinds I bought Flaming Cliffs 3 I'm hooked at DCS and bought the FA 18 and Persian Gulf map but I struggle with VR performance, especially with the Hornet, I searched alot on the forums but I still have some questions :huh:.

I Use a Oculus Rift S, AMD RX 5700 XT, 16 gb ram, and a Ryzen 2700x.

My main question is how can I achieve a slightly higher FPS? On the forum I see a shader mod for example, (I cant get it to work in the newer version), but are there more "tricks" I should know?

There are also alot of tips for settings on Nvidia cards but nothing for AMD cards, maybe there is a setting that kills my framerate?

And my second question, is there a way to get anti aliasing in VR without the massive performance hit?

Most of the tips I found on the internet is setting a specific AA setting in the Nvidia driver but there is no similar setting in the AMD drivers.

I hope someone can help me with this, I just need it to be a bit more stable :helpsmilie:

Anti-aliasing is not going to work in VR currently setting in graphic card , would need to use MSAA in the game settings. You can try 2x.

I am not familiar enough with AMD to give you settings to try in game, just start fairly low and work your way up testing in between whether the performance is acceptable for you.

As far as Mods, I personally don't use them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

DCS runs ok for me with my Rift S with some fairly high settings, looks great also.

Certainly it could be better.

Same for me (Rift S).

8086k, 1080ti, 32gb and DCS on ssd.

It runs really smooth on high

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

I bought the F16 and gave VR another try and it ran perfect in VR a steady frame rate with 1.4 pixel density and 2x MSAA, even on a busy airport.

I also changed some settings in the Radeon software, turned off anti-lag, radeon, chill, freesync and enhanced sync.

Freesync caused screen flickering when I was flying on my monitor so maybe that setting reduced performance in VR to.

Just wanted to let you guys know what I've changed :)

Edited by dutch_bullet