FPS bump by disabling GameDVR in Windows 10 via registry

Mustang

Mustang thanks!

My impression is that it smoothens DCS a bit in VR. But I have no fps gains.

BUT! Old games like BF3 run tremendously better. It suffered from fps up and downs. Changed between 70 -140 every second. Now stable 150 or more.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

You really should enable "Game Mode" as it stops windows doing updates when you are playing a game... "Game bar" on the other hand and "Captures" should be turned off (1909)

I got a tiny perf increase, of the order of 0.1-0.2 ms increase in the Steam VR performance graph I get about 0.5ms by going to full screen... now that is significant because it takes me into the green occasionally , where before I was regularly in amber

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

You really should enable "Game Mode" as it stops windows doing updates when you are playing a game... "Game bar" on the other hand and "Captures" should be turned off (1909)

I got a tiny perf increase, of the order of 0.1-0.2 ms increase in the Steam VR performance graph I get about 0.5ms by going to full screen... now that is significant because it takes me into the green occasionally , where before I was regularly in amber

Did you archieve that perf increase via registry tweak or by disabling it in the UI ?

Since ages i advice to disable those features in UI and i would be surprised if the reg edit did something different than the UI toggle.

UI was already disabled, the reg ed values were set to 0's I added in the FSEBehavior DWORD

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

UI was already disabled, the reg ed values were set to 0's I added in the FSEBehavior DWORD

So if I don't have this line, I can add it, works?

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

So if I don't have this line, I can add it, works?

as with so much of this game... adding it worked for me YMMV, it certainly didn't cause any harm

as with so much of this game... adding it worked for me YMMV, it certainly didn't cause any harm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Disabling Fullscreen optimization can be done without tweaking the registry.

1) Go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin

2) Right click on the DCS.exe file

3) Go to properties

4) Compatibility Tab

5) Click button: Change parameters for all users (I have french windows so the button could have different name)

6) Check Disable fullscreen optimization

In DCS, check Fullscreen settings.

ALT+Tab behaviour exit the fullscreen mode (if other window open before launching DCS). You have to press ALT+Enter to go back to exclusive fullscreen mode.

These two links can interest you:

https://community.amd.com/thread/226321

https://skymirrh.github.io/CompatibilityManager/

I try in VR but can't tell if it really improve performances (need to monitor with Oculus Huds) but it is not worse. I tend to think that it would be surprising that DCS can profit from the new Windows 10 fullscreen mode. So, if not worse, can only be better...

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Disabling Fullscreen optimization can be done without tweaking the registry.

1) Go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin

2) Right click on the DCS.exe file

3) Go to properties

4) Compatibility Tab

5) Click button: Change parameters for all users (I have french windows so the button could have different name)

6) Check Disable fullscreen optimization

In DCS, check Fullscreen settings.

ALT+Tab behaviour exit the fullscreen mode (if other window open before launching DCS). You have to press ALT+Enter to go back to exclusive fullscreen mode.

These two links can interest you:

https://community.amd.com/thread/226321

https://skymirrh.github.io/CompatibilityManager/

I try in VR but can't tell if it really improve performances (need to monitor with Oculus Huds) but it is not worse. I tend to think that it would be surprising that DCS can profit from the new Windows 10 fullscreen mode. So, if not worse, can only be better...

I was using the disable fullscreen optimization tickbox under compatibility before using the registry edit, I got the framerate boost directly after that.

oh if you want to see a difference in the FPS counter, you need to turn off ASW/"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector"... I get a fairly steady 45 FPS in free flight in caucuses with the F18 with ASW … which equates to high 50's low 60's without these optimisations, in Full Screen mode I get high 70's low 80's.

Note I'm not advocating turning ASW off, but if you have it switched on, the performance bump is hidden inside the ASW because you are still running less than 90Hz

Edited by speed-of-heat

This article may help out a good number of you who might be experiencing sub par performance with VR or even 2D setups

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-version-1903-gaming/?fbclid=IwAR0C2R_1_PVdg-I3pOPfwIWYC88V8WrVUuK1bQTyhtpNP6bw3xHS9WOXb6U

"To understand it better, when you run a game in exclusive fullscreen mode, the image goes from the game directly to your screen. After the update, the game is first rendered, then goes through Windows Desktop, and then to the screen.

This leads to input lag and performance issues in many games."

I have created the required .reg file for those who want to try this out, it has been tried and tested by many people and everyone I have spoke to have seen a rise in performance, especially those with VR.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1baftisLScNUoN01gSOY7Y98OtIq9IVoK

simply download this file and double click it and allow it to modify registry then reboot, it will add the entries as seen in the screenshot attached below.

A bump in FPS? My friend this is borderline magic. My FPS jumped tremendously in all games, DCS included...though DCS is a big one. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Does this edit have to be reloaded each time DCS is updated? Do the regular updates affect the windows registry?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

some of these changes (the registry) may get reset by a Windows Update, it would depend on if the reg keys changed are part of an update. but not by a DCS update, though I suppose it possible that ED would update DCS to make "good use of the optimisations"

I tooks time to do serious testing by following some repeatable protocol to compare FPS.

First, the context:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bits 1909 (up to date)

Nvidia driver 441.66 (up to date)

DCS Open Beta (up to date)

Monitor 5120x1440

DCS settings: High Quality Preset

DCS Custom settings:

- Civ. Traffic = OFF (to avoid some imprevisible event)

- Full Screen checked

NVidia Control Panel: As default, no custom settings

NVidia Profile Inspector: As default, no custom settings

All test are done here:

Plane: TF-51

Map: Caucasus

Instant Action: Cold Start in Krymsk

Move/View: No move, Cockpit view exactly as the mission is loaded

Measure time: After 10s and before 60s because at 66s there are some event that change the FPS, so mesures can't be done and would be irrelevant

Goal: Impact on FPS only. Loading time, TrackIR smoothness are not measured at all

Settings compared:

1) Game Mode ON/OFF

2) Checking the "Disable Fullscreen Optimization" for All Users checkbox for the DCS.exe & DCS_Updater.exe shortcuts

3) Applying the Registry Tweak proposed in the first post in this thread

Summary of the results (Remember Windows 1909):

1) No gain in FPS to disabling Fullscreen Optimization from the shortcuts and/or applying the proposed Registry Tweak

2) The only way to see Excusive full screen in action is by checking "Disable Fullscreen Optimization" from the shortcut. The registry tweak alone don't do it...

3) There is a small gain in FPS by doing this steps:

- Launch DCS but with another windows already open (Not Chrome!!! but an empty txt file for example)

- Launch your mission

- Press ALT+TAB to swtich App and go back to DCS

- Press ALT+ENTER

Here are the tests, actions and results, I have obtained:

Test initialization:

- Set DCS graphic settings as describe in the context part

- Exit DCS

- Drop the fxo and metashaders folders in Saved Games

- Launch DCS and the TF51 mission

- (DCS recompile all the shaders, long loading)

- Exit DCS

- Prepare settings for the first test

- Restart the computer

TEST 1: No Registry tweak | DCS shortcuts with checbox not checked | Game Mode OFF

FPS at launch: 83/84

FPS after ALT+TAB: 82/83

FPS after ALT+ENTER: 84/85

=> Improvment being in fullscreen and after ALT+ENTER

------------------------------------

- Change Game Mode to ON

- Restart computer

TEST 2: No Registry tweak | DCS shortcuts with checbox not checked | Game Mode ON

FPS at launch: 83/84

FPS after ALT+TAB: 82/83

FPS after ALT+ENTER: 83/84

=> Improvment being in fullscreen and after ALT+ENTER

=> With Game Mode ON, the FPS tends to be more often on the lower value (-0.5 FPS)

- Change Game Mode back to OFF (seems a little bit better without)

- Check "Disable Full Screen Optimization for all users" checkbox for DCS.exe & DCS_Updater.exe shortcuts

- Restart computer

TEST 3: No Registry tweak | DCS shortcuts with chekcbox checked | Game Mode OFF

84/85 - At launch

82/83 - After ALT+TAB

84/85 - After ALT + ENTER

=> After ALT+Enter, the FPS tends to be more often on the upper value (+0.5 FPS)

- Tweak the Registry as proposed

- Restart computer

TEST 4: Registry tweak | DCS shortcuts with chekcbox checked | Game Mode OFF

83/84 - At launch

81/82 - After ALT+TAB

=> No change with Registry Tweak

=> The exclusive fullscreen mode is enabled. There is a delay with black scren when pressing ALT+TAB

------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Uncheck shortcuts: Disable fullscreen optimization checkbox

- Restart the computer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST 5: Registry tweak | DCS shortcuts with chekcbox not checked | Game Mode OFF

83/84 - At launch

82/83 - After ALT+TAB

=> The exclusive fullscreen mode isn't activated by having only the registy tweak in place

Probably nothing new here because I remember someone saying that he observed small increase in FPS by the ALT+TAB & ALT+ENTER sequence.

Personnaly, I will apply the registry tweak and shortuct settings because less software layer between the gpu and the game can only be better and I suspect that the real win could be related to tracking (VR, TrackIR): less layer => less latency

Sorry for the long post but I did the job for me, so why not sharing it.

Edited by Chapa

This article may help out a good number of you who might be experiencing sub par performance with VR or even 2D setups

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-version-1903-gaming/?fbclid=IwAR0C2R_1_PVdg-I3pOPfwIWYC88V8WrVUuK1bQTyhtpNP6bw3xHS9WOXb6U

"To understand it better, when you run a game in exclusive fullscreen mode, the image goes from the game directly to your screen. After the update, the game is first rendered, then goes through Windows Desktop, and then to the screen.

This leads to input lag and performance issues in many games."

I have created the required .reg file for those who want to try this out, it has been tried and tested by many people and everyone I have spoke to have seen a rise in performance, especially those with VR.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1baftisLScNUoN01gSOY7Y98OtIq9IVoK

simply download this file and double click it and allow it to modify registry then reboot, it will add the entries as seen in the screenshot attached below.

Good afternoon. Can Mustang tell me if it also works with stable dcs or is your registration modification only applicable in case you have dcs beta installed?

On the other hand, when I have installed your modification I am missing the GameDVR_FSEBehavior line in the registry. Does it matter or does it work the same without it?

Thanks in advance.

Good afternoon. Can Mustang tell me if it also works with stable dcs or is your registration modification only applicable in case you have dcs beta installed?

On the other hand, when I have installed your modification I am missing the GameDVR_FSEBehavior line in the registry. Does it matter or does it work the same without it?

Thanks in advance.

I have tested your registry modification and I have not noticed any improvement of fps.

I have windows 10 64 bits version 1909 and 2 D. Some other comment if it helps you

I am missing the GameDVR_FSEBehavior line in the registry.

Same here, no GameDVR_FSEBehavior line in the registry (Win 10 1903).

Tested in 2D before and after applying the reg tweak.

Gained FPS: Zero.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

From my test, the registry tweak has no impact at all. It even doesn’t change the fullscreen mode.

But there is an impact with ALT+ENTER and it is visible in VR also with the Oculus HUD Render App Graph.

For exemple, before alt enter, the FPS oscillate between 70 and 72.5. After alt enter, it is clearly more stable at 72.5 with drop at 70 clearly more spaced in time.

UPDATE:

With Rift S, pressing ALT+ENTER to have the mirroring view full screen improve the FPS, it can jump to the +2.5 FPS up range or simply stabilize. No registry and shortcut tweak required...

Can avoid some AWS trigger so not so bad and cost nothing to press ALT TAB after launching DCS

Edited by Chapa